Retrieving pictures on old CD's

vbimport

Have a lot of family pictures from 2004, 2005 which I would like to retrieve but get a message “would I like to burn cd” when I try to open them now. Have windows Vista system.
Anyone have a suggestion?

[QUOTE=springflow;2574964]Have a lot of family pictures from 2004, 2005 which I would like to retrieve but get a message “would I like to burn cd” when I try to open them now. Have windows Vista system.
Anyone have a suggestion?[/QUOTE]

We need more info as to where is the 2004, 2005 pictures stored at? Like where originally stored and how did you burn to cd or another media you transferred the picture to? From the sound of it looks like there nothing on the cd itself. Are you sure you properly burned the picture to the cd or labeled the correct cd and not labeling a empty cd?? Have you tried the cd on another computer and see what if it can see or access the cd itself? What software did you use to transfer the picture to cd that you first used?

Try opening the cds with the free version of ISOBuster. If it can find the data, you should be able to move your pictures to the hard drive using this program.

I have Vista & agree with Kerry56 on the solution.
Vista has problems reading certain discs & sees them as blank sometimes when they are not. Or as a disc it has formated as Windows Live when it isn’t.
My opinion is this is caused by the massive amount of DRM protection in Vista . It gets corrupt & this is one of the problems that happens.
I bet your CD was created on a FAT32 OS.
The best solution is to locate a computer with an older OS on it. It can probably read the disc. Then transfer the pictures from the CD’s with it to a flash drive or drives. An external hard drive can also be used. Vista has always read a flash drive or external hard drive with this type data for me.

Yep as Kerry suggested ISObuster should work fine. However we don’t know for sure if it’s a OS (Vista) issue and could be related to other issues (bad burn, CD Rot etc.) so being able to use multiple drives is a plus. If one drive won’t read it try another.

I wasn’t on Vista long enough to experince any CD/DVD issues like that but have on XP and in that case was do to bad burn or cd rot and some files were simply damaged beyond repair. This is why we reccomend using good media as years from now it matters.