Restoring old firmware

My burns are getting worse and worse (maybe a bad batch of Ricoh discs), and I have bad burns on MCC003 discs, so I was about to upgrade my old firmware (VS0A on a 832S drive). My question is, just in case, how do I revert back to the old firmware if I choose? I backed up the EEPROM. Does it matter which order I restore things (EEPROM and firmware)?

My question is, just in case, how do I revert back to the old firmware if I choose?

Just flash it. If you’re using an official LiteOn flasher, you may need to use FlashFix first. But otherwise, just flash.

Does it matter which order I restore things (EEPROM and firmware)?

No.

My burns are getting worse and worse

If the burns used to be good and they’re getting worse, a firmware upgrade will unlikely be of much help. Try resetting the media learning. Or maybe even lens cleaning.

use omnipatcher to disable learning

I’m planning to use one of the CG firmwares. VS0A is pretty old. I bought some Verbatim discs from NewEgg which are MCC003, and had terrible results. I am going to try updating the firmware, and if that isn’t helping, I will probably reset learned media and start fresh. Where would I get a lens cleaner for this drive?

I used to have an avg. of 20PI in Kprobe on Ricoh discs (RICOHJPNR01@8x), now I am getting 200+ avg. Also, used to get <1000 total PIFs, now getting closer to 4000.