Restored crashed PC

I have recently gotten my Dell PC restored from a total crash, I put in a bigger hard drive & more RAM.

It crashed when I tried to install windows service pack 3 on it, from the service pack 2 I had on it. I reinstalled windows XP home on my PC from the original disc, but it was service pack 1, my system seems to have reverted back to service pack 1.

how do I get service pack 2 back on it? & how do I avoid another total crash/meltdown when trying to get back to service pack 2?

[QUOTE=Sossity;2414987]I have recently gotten my Dell PC restored from a total crash, I put in a bigger hard drive & more RAM.

It crashed when I tried to install windows service pack 3 on it, from the service pack 2 I had on it. I reinstalled windows XP home on my PC from the original disc, but it was service pack 1, my system seems to have reverted back to service pack 1.

[B]how do I get service pack 2 back on it?[/B] & how do I avoid another total crash/meltdown when trying to get back to service pack 2?[/QUOTE]

Download it from m$ and install it.

[QUOTE=chef;2415157]Download it from m$ and install it.[/QUOTE]

I am afraid it will crash my computer again, how do I avoid this? is there a link to the right download for service pack 2 for a single home PC user? not for an IT Pro? I want to be sure I get the right one. Will it be free? like it was before?

I like how my PC runs now, but alot of my software needs at least service pack 2.

Since you restored everything, I would suggest you install service pack 3. You have no way of knowing what caused the problem in the first place, I would say it was not a SP3 problem. That download can be found here.

If however you want to use service pack 2, that download can be found here.

double post… brilliant

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2415405]Since you restored everything, I would suggest you install service pack 3. You have no way of knowing what caused the problem in the first place, I would say it was not a SP3 problem. That download can be found here.

If however you want to use service pack 2, that download can be found here.[/QUOTE]

those updates are for IT Pros, will they work on a single home computer user? that is what happened before, I tried to download service pack 3 for ITs when I had service pack 2 on my PC & it did not install properly & completely crashed my PC

Don’t you worry. That’s pure all XP M$ crap SP2 and 3. :smiley:
Read details about SP2 here.

To validate use md5summer

Have you tried windows update? It will scan for the updates that will work with your hardware.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2415448]Have you tried windows update?..[/QUOTE]Sorry, I don’t use M$ windoze anymore, (exception, for our home network w2k server with samba). :smiley:

[QUOTE=Sossity;2415443]those updates are for IT Pros, will they work on a single home computer user? that is what happened before, I tried to download service pack 3 for ITs when I had service pack 2 on my PC & it did not install properly & completely crashed my PC[/QUOTE]

Microsoft service packs do not come in “single home user” variety. There are only two ways to install a service pack. One way is through Windows update. The second and definitely preferred method is to download the service pack and run the installer.

They probably make the terminology more confusing than necessary.

Not for you pinto but for the OP. Update checks current config. for update compatibility.