Restore Lightscribe to LH-16W1p

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LH-16W1P. Click here to see full specs[/qanda][qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LH-16W1P. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Have this drive as slave (IDE system) and accidentally flashed it to I think a 20A1H, tiredness, poor eyesight, whatever. Re-flashed it to current and correct SLO8 firmware, which resulted in a dead drive except for tray and blinking front light.

Used eeprom to restore correct model number, etc - drive plays dvds and cds,
burned an ISO to a lightscribe disc, flipped it over to label it, imgburn says no lightscribe drives available. The ISO image burned fine.

Thought since I’d used up my quotient of luck for awhile, I would ask now, rather than blunder forward blindly, if I can restore the lightscribe function or if I now have just another drive to add to my collection.

Any advice or help will, obviously, be much appreciated.

mandrill@usa.com

The drive is not lightscribe capable. Lightscribe is hardware enabled.

Thank you for your swift reply - I appreciate it. How then, does one enable the hardware? Or not? Or are you saying that model drive was not ever lightscribe capable? I would find that to be somewhat disconcerting, for obvious reasons. One of them is that it has always been before, the other is that the laser is visible when the drawer is open.

mandrill@usa.com

The model name – 16W1[B]P[/B] – implies that this model was not meant to be a LightScribe-capable model from the beginning. If you do indeed have the proper hardware to detect the LightScribe side of media and write the label, then you are lucky. You would have to find the appropriate firmware – ending in [B]H[/B] – that would work with your whole drive. How you would do this, I do not know.

Albert:

An informative and illuminating answer - thank you. I believe you have just answered another older question I had about this drive.

It comes with the
appropriate Lightscribe insignia, but it was initially an external drive. I made several inquiries to various “informed” sources as to wether or not it was in fact the external enclosure providing the Lightscribe abilities, and received no satisfactory answer - most did not seem to even understand the question. The external portion finally failed, and I removed the drive, believing I had a Lightscribe capable product.

So, I suspect I can safely assume that although this was not a “badged” product (correct term?) it was a “specialty” product? In any case, not to worry, I have 4 more drives that are, in fact, Lightscribe.

I also have floating around somewhere a LITE-ON DH-20A4P. With a proper firmware upgrade would this be a preferable/superior performing drive than the LH-16W1P?

Thanks again for the swift replies.

I have never known the enclosure to be the source of a drive’s ability to do LightScribe. This one has me scratching my head about how the drive could have supported LS before; maybe a special firmware revision or something to that effect. In any case, this drive wasn’t your average drive; the 16W1P in itself is an OEM drive, with hardware equal to that of a retail drive (whose model name I cannot remember at the moment) but firmware-limited as the OEM customer wants it. But I wouldn’t worry too much about it if you have alternate drives with working LightScribe. :slight_smile:

And yes, I’d think the 20A4P would be marginally better than the 16W1P, if for no reason other than the fact that the 20A4P had a bit more firmware update support.

If the drive is LS enabled, check for a red LED when you open the tray door. Also, there should be a LS insignia on the try door cover.
Otherwise, you need to buy a LS enabled drive. One having an H or L in the model number.

Albert,

Thank you again. By asking questions I am creating more questions than answers. I can only review what I know for sure:

1. This drive was given to me by a friend as an external drive with the
    appropriate Lightscribe insignia.

2. It did, in fact, function as a Lightscribe drive - I used it many times as it sat right next to my monitor and was conveniently accessed.

3. The enclosure itself and its connecting IDE components deteriorated to the point that the drive would not function properly, so I removed it, and
    placed it in my Debian box. It functioned well there, but I did not use the Lightscribe function.

4. 2 Days ago I decided to upgrade the firmware on my dvd drives, and accidentally flashed this drive, (now on XP), with the wrong firmware. I then reflashed it with the proper firmware, and it would not work (except for the tray and constantly blinking power LED on front) until I used the eeprom utility to restore the model number, keeping the same, most up-to-date firmware (SLO8).

5. The drive ([B]full model # LH-16W1P[/B]) now plays music, video, and burns media. It does not, however, burn Lightscribe. There is [B]a red LED quite visible [/B]when the tray is open.

6. While typing this, another response came in from [I]pfloyd1[/I] stating that " [I]If the drive is LS enabled, check for a red LED when you open the tray door. Also, there should be a LS insignia on the try door cover.
    Otherwise, you need to buy a LS enabled drive. One having an H or L in the model number[/I]."

7. See item #5

As I used to be in your position on the Ubuntu forum, I appreciate how frustrating this can be. You just [I]know[/I] something isn’t right, but I have done my best to provide all facts and pertinent details without wandering off subject.

Thank you in advance for your headscratching!

ps - What OEM Manufacturer used/produced external LS enabled LITE-ON drives 3-5 years ago?

Albert & pinkfloyd1:

Hold Everything! I am looking for a hole in the ground to swallow me up!

Somehow, during the flashing I did yesterday, more than 1 thing went wrong. I decided to pull the drives and check the model numbers.

They are LH-20A1H & DH-16W1P. Sorry to waste your time, as I now assume they were being read incorrectly, as well as out of proper order
by Device Manager.

Please tell me the LH-20A1H is a Lightscribe drive.

The LH drive is a LS drive.

Thanks.

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LH-20A1H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Gentlemen:

After much help from [I]Albert[/I] and [I]pfloyd1[/I] yesterday, I realize that my problem is something I am not able to correct myself.

It was my first time flashing optical drives, and although one of them is now ok, my LH-20A1H Lightscribe believes itself to be a DH-16W1P. (My poor eyesight is a factor)

All work was done (or not done) with utilities from this forum - flash utility,
eeprom. It was quite easy (knowing nothing) to turn the LH-20A1H into a DH-15W1P. It is quite another story to turn it back.

I have repeatedly tried both methods I found for drive conversion, and either the flasher reports the file empty or the firmware refuses to recognize the drive conversion. Omnipatcher would accept none o the files from either website claiming they were “scrambled” no matter how far back I went into the firmware history.

I build nice systems, and unfortunately until now knew very little (not enough) about optical drives.

I would greatly appreciate some expert help here. Thanks to all of you in advance…

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LH-20A1H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello all - a bad start for me, I guess. The statement is so true that experts at anything used to be noobs.

I now have my 2nd favorite drive (the 1st is a Pioneer 215D) with a misflash to a DH-16W1P. This happened partly because there was a 16W1P already in the machine, and I flashed both to that model somehow. Strangely, the (former) LH-20A1H worked fine, except of course, no Lightscribe.

Rather than asking “what now” in the forum, I winged it and now have a drive that says it is a DH-16W1P, but doesn’t work at all. I believe there are checksum issues with eeprom, & NONE of the firmware offered on any of the related sites was a binary file. Omnipatcher, xflash, flash utility and eeprom utility all failed to solve the problem - not saying it was their fault - obviously it was mine.

I am not a noob when it comes to building systems, and should have taken better heed of the lessons I learned along the way, applying them to this situation.

So, [I]now[/I] I am asking “What now?” and hoping someone will share their expertise. I’m not a stranger to the comand line, as I run Debian on the other half of this machine, and know how to follow instructions quite well. I have no floppy, but have 2 flashdrives, and plenty of cds for alternate (DOS) solutions.

Of course, my drive may be a brick at this point - lesson learned. Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to give this a shot…

[QUOTE=mandrill58;2416033][qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On LH-20A1H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello all - a bad start for me, I guess. The statement is so true that experts at anything used to be noobs.

I now have my 2nd favorite drive (the 1st is a Pioneer 215D) with a misflash to a DH-16W1P. This happened partly because there was a 16W1P already in the machine, and I flashed both to that model somehow. Strangely, the (former) LH-20A1H worked fine, except of course, no Lightscribe.

Rather than asking “what now” in the forum, I winged it and now have a drive that says it is a DH-16W1P, but doesn’t work at all. I believe there are checksum issues with eeprom, & NONE of the firmware offered on any of the related sites was a binary file. Omnipatcher, xflash, flash utility and eeprom utility all failed to solve the problem - not saying it was their fault - obviously it was mine.

I am not a noob when it comes to building systems, and should have taken better heed of the lessons I learned along the way, applying them to this situation.

So, [I]now[/I] I am asking “What now?” and hoping someone will share their expertise. I’m not a stranger to the comand line, as I run Debian on the other half of this machine, and know how to follow instructions quite well. I have no floppy, but have 2 flashdrives, and plenty of cds for alternate (DOS) solutions.

Of course, my drive may be a brick at this point - lesson learned. Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to give this a shot…[/QUOTE]
Well, I now have a working 16W1P. No Lightscribe of course.

Please do update us on the situation–or tell us if there even is a situation anymore–here, mandrill58. :slight_smile:

Albert,

Thank you for your follow-up, it is much appreciated, especially in light of the OTHER message I got this AM. The [I]technical[/I] issue was that I actually did have a LH-16W1P in the mix (apparently OEM Gateway) as well as a DH-20A4P and a LH-20A1H. I simply confused one for the other and turned my LH-20A1H into a LH-16W1P. No backup for my 20A1H eeprom, so I had to do it the hard way, but all is now well.

I had been a forum member for less than 3 days, had recieved zero help except from you and pfloyd1, did not know my way around the forum too well, and accidentally posted twice - because I was not able to find my original post. I even included an apology with the 2nd post. Then I was treated like I had the plague.

I wish to share with you the FIRST message I opened today, as well as my response…It will be BCC’d to you, but is a direct response to geno888. Frankly,
he pissed me off.

Private message from geno888: Hi mandrill58

Because of you posted many threads about the same argument (it is called crossposting and is against forum rules), I merged all your threads into a single one.

If you don’t see it anymore, it is because I moved it in the proper forum.

Your thread now is located here

Cheers

geno888

You will soon have a PM that will clear things up. :wink:

But all is well, you say? Nothing else wrong; everything working as it should?

Yep. Burned dvd>dvd 1.1 from DH-20A4P to LH-20A1H, flipped it over and burned a label into it. All with new firmware. I think that’s how it’s supposed to work!

Regards,

mandrill58@usa.com

That’s great, then. Congrats. :slight_smile: