Restore disk

vbimport

I bought an Asus CM 6850 used, on E-Bay, It came with no restore disk. I went on the Asus home page and they more or
less said give us your Registration number an $59.00 and if we feel you are entitled to the disk we will send it
to you or will refund your money, they refunded the money and no disk.Have no reason why, its all legit.
Is there a way to make my own. I know I did it in the past with other computers. HP and Acer but never with Asus.
T.I.A.

Why don’t you simply make a clone of the entire HDD with a software like Acronis True Image?

Why do you need a restore disk? For the operating system license?

If my computer crashes or has conflicts that I cannot resolve, why would I not want a recovery disk?

Geno’s advice is sound. Acronis True Image can make a complete clone of your operating system drive. You can restore your system quickly from this clone. You can store the clone on an external drive, or an internal one if you have a secondary storage drive. I’m pretty sure you can also store the clone on optical media, like dvds, though I haven’t tried this.

If you happen to have a Western Digital hard drive, there is a free version of Acronis True Image you can download and use: http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

You can do a backup with ATI to DVD’s.
I never tried a clone but I don’t think that would be possible.
ATI backups from DVDs worked for me way back when I did it that way .

Okay, all you need is an OEM Disk for your License Windows 7 Key Code. So you can borrow one from a friend or buy one on eBay, but it has to be the exact OEM for your Windows 7 and not an upgrade, in order for your Key Code to work. :cool:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2633327]Geno’s advice is sound. Acronis True Image can make a complete clone of your operating system drive. You can restore your system quickly from this clone. You can store the clone on an external drive, or an internal one if you have a secondary storage drive. I’m pretty sure you can also store the clone on optical media, like dvds, though I haven’t tried this.

If you happen to have a Western Digital hard drive, there is a free version of Acronis True Image you can download and use: http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119[/QUOTE]
Thanks Kerry, I’ll give it a go.

[QUOTE=alchav21;2633334]Okay, all you need is an OEM Disk for your License Windows 7 Key Code. So you can borrow one from a friend or buy one on eBay, but it has to be the exact OEM for your Windows 7 and not an upgrade, in order for your Key Code to work. :cool:[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply, I installed my own Windows Ultimate when I got the machine, do I use that code, where do I get the oem disk from? I may be missing something here, sorry.

@ durkinjt , I have a paid version of Acronis & I’ve been very satisfied with it .
The backup images work well but always use the “verify” even though this takes more time.
I do mine uncompressed to an external hard drive .
I wasn’t always set up with an external hard drive & did backups to multiple DVDs .
Those also worked & I still have them but I would hate to go back that far .
It will also do a “clone” if you have a spare harddrive . That is a good way to go .
I also have my OS cloned this way.

I’ve never tried to get an OEM disc . I bought this computer new & it didn’t come with one.
The computer I have had a “Recovery” partition . Does your’s ?
If so it probably never had a recovery disc.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2633375]Thanks Kerry, I’ll give it a go.[/QUOTE]
Kerry picked one up on E-Bay, brand new 2012 edition $22 free shipping. I’ll keep you posted, thanks.

[QUOTE=cholla;2633383]@ durkinjt , I have a paid version of Acronis & I’ve been very satisfied with it .
The backup images work well but always use the “verify” even though this takes more time.
I do mine uncompressed to an external hard drive .
I wasn’t always set up with an external hard drive & did backups to multiple DVDs .
Those also worked & I still have them but I would hate to go back that far .
It will also do a “clone” if you have a spare harddrive . That is a good way to go .
I also have my OS cloned this way.

I’ve never tried to get an OEM disc . I bought this computer new & it didn’t come with one.
The computer I have had a “Recovery” partition . Does your’s ?
If so it probably never had a recovery disc.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Cholla, just bought one.

[QUOTE=alchav21;2633334]Okay, all you need is an OEM Disk for your License Windows 7 Key Code. So you can borrow one from a friend or buy one on eBay, but it has to be the exact OEM for your Windows 7 and not an upgrade, in order for your Key Code to work. :cool:[/QUOTE]

for this purpose any “non-branded” (I.E. Dell, HP, etc…) OS reinstallation disc will work.
Most “Branded” discs will refuse to work on other make computers.

But as stated above it must be the same version of windows
(Starter, Home-Premium, Professional, etc) as was originally
installed on the computer.

I’ve found that the service pack level of the disc is unimportant
and I’ve never had an issue “reinstalling” a 64bit version in place of a 32bit version.

Also after running the installer you’ll get that message that you have “three days until automatic activation” and after that 27more days to “activate” your installation of windows.

Don’t be in a rush to “Activate” until you are SURE that everything works correctly.
So long as you don’t activate you have an unlimited number of “do-overs”
(even at 30day intervals if necissary)

Get your drivers installed and ALL hardware functioning before you activate.

When you DO activate I’ll note that I have NEVER seen “automatic activation” actually activate automatically.

When you get the message “would you like to activate now?” and push the button to do so I’ve seen that work <10% of the time.

What I wind up doing 9-out-of-10 times is this:

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

BTW, you can pick up an OEM-System builder version of Windows7 Home premium for about $90 from Newegg.com

I know it stings to buy an OS you already have an OEM right to, but I’m a firm believer in Ohms law… (following the path of least resistance:)

And if a computer company or the OS publisher tries to screw me I have no moral obligation to resist the temptation to screw them back.

BTW, if your OS works as is another way to have a reliable backup is as also mentioned above to “clone” your existing drive.

This copies EVERYTHING, programs as well as data.

My preference is for Clonezilla, but some beginners have issues with it’s minimalist user interface.

The only issue I have with clonezilla is that it will only clone to another drive of equal or larger size.
(if there is a way around this that I don’t know of feel free to tell me)

AD

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2633381]Thanks for the reply, I installed my own Windows Ultimate when I got the machine, do I use that code, where do I get the oem disk from? I may be missing something here, sorry.[/QUOTE]

If you installed your own Windows 7 Ultimate, why are you looking for a Restore Disk. Any Restore Disk will put the OS back to the original Manufactures Specs. If Asus made the computer with Windows 7 Home, the Restore Disk will have this OS. So you either buy software to Clone your OS, or Format and reuse your Windows 7 Ultimate with the same Key Code. I don’t like to use cloning software, I just save my Data and Format and reload my existing OS and load my updates. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2633448]If you installed your own Windows 7 Ultimate, why are you looking for a Restore Disk. Any Restore Disk will put the OS back to the original Manufactures Specs. If Asus made the computer with Windows 7 Home, the Restore Disk will have this OS. So you either buy software to Clone your OS, or Format and reuse your Windows 7 Ultimate with the same Key Code. I don’t like to use cloning software, I just save my Data and Format and reload my existing OS and load my updates. :cool:[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply, as somewhat newbie what would be the best way to format my disk and then install my Ultimate. The format kind of scares me as a fairly new- middle type what would be the best way to format, and then install my Win Ultimate?

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2633456]Thanks for the reply, as somewhat newbie what would be the best way to format my disk and then install my Ultimate. The format kind of scares me as a fairly new- middle type what would be the best way to format, and then install my Win Ultimate?[/QUOTE]

Now I’m kind of confused, if you loaded Windows 7 Ultimate why would you want to Format and reload again, unless you have problems. Your Ultimate Disk can do all the Formatting and Partitioning if you want. If your Ultimate is not stable or has problems, then yes a Format and reload should be done. The other thing to consider is the HDD, if it’s older than 3 years and not Seagate or Western Digital, I would get a new HDD to do the reload. This is a good time to get more Memory too, with Windows 7 I would say 6Gb or more. :cool:

I have no problems now with the computer I am just taking precautions for the future if a major problem does occur.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2633493]I have no problems now with the computer I am just taking precautions for the future if a major problem does occur.[/QUOTE]

Well I go back to the DOS days, so Formatting and reloading the OS is second nature to me. Backing up your Personal Data, is all you need to do. Then you just Format and reload Ultimate, and update any Drivers that don’t come up. Reload your Programs and Personal Data, and you are ready to go. The other option is to use Acronis to make an image of your Disc, and then use that to bring your computer back. The only problem with the image, it’s only as good as when you made it. Companies make a Basic Image with the OS and Basic Programs used, but I think most people keep updating their image so all the Junk and the Bloat comes along for the ride too. So now it’s all personal preference and what is easier for you. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2633546]Well I go back to the DOS days, so Formatting and reloading the OS is second nature to me. Backing up your Personal Data, is all you need to do. Then you just Format and reload Ultimate, and update any Drivers that don’t come up. Reload your Programs and Personal Data, and you are ready to go. The other option is to use Acronis to make an image of your Disc, and then use that to bring your computer back. The only problem with the image, it’s only as good as when you made it. Companies make a Basic Image with the OS and Basic Programs used, but I think most people keep updating their image so all the Junk and the Bloat comes along for the ride too. So now it’s all personal preference and what is easier for you. :cool:[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2633550]Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]

While I maintain “clones” of all my active systems because clones can be swapped in and up and running as fast as I can swap the physical drives, I too copy all my personal information and data seperately.

I can make a “new install” of an XP, Vista or Windows7 on a “new” computer, presuming all updates and system drivers are in and the AntiVirus has completed it’s initial full system scan indestinguishable
from any of my other systems in 90min or so.

Making my mail program work is literally less than a minute

to me the most annoying task? arrainging the favorites bar in my browser.

But other than that I have all the data and system settings saved “in path” and I just copy it over the default settings and I’m done…

You do something enough you get good at it…