Restore backups to a formatted hard drive

I am backing up files with Nero 8 as I want to format my hard drive and start over. Once the drive is formatted how do I restore the backups as the computer will not be the same.

I don’t use Nero, but does it make a bootable disk? Have you read the Nero help files? Are you backing up to another hard drive or to cd/dvd disks?

Thank you for replyiing, I am backing up to cd’s. I read Nero’s help and Nero does make a bootable disk. Can you explain the step by step process for me as Nero doesn’t exactly give instructions for a formatted drive, but it says I can boot with the bootable disk. Will it then allow me to restore my backup files. The files that I am backing up are just photo, music and personal files, no system files.

[QUOTE=gwoverton;2217266]I am backing up files with Nero 8 as I want to format my hard drive and start over. Once the drive is formatted how do I restore the backups as the computer will not be the same.[/QUOTE]

Advice all the files you should only copy are the data and saved files you shouldn’t restore program files directories. Only data and saved files are the one you save and copy back into the program files folders only. When you restore you computer what you want to do is reinstall those software programs then copy back the data and saved files. That way you avoid pitfalls and missing or invalid registries in the O/S registry. Only time you would restore computer are the factory made computers that have Restore cds to which you restore to factory settings at the time you bought the computer.

Are you saying that I should not have backed up the files but I should have copied them to a cd. Back up compresses the files as it is I have used 23 disks to back up it will be twice that if I were to copy all of the files to a cd. Please respond

Hello are you will to try a different software? Take a look at O and O DiskImage Express. Its free and you can find it at FileHippo.com under compression and backup listing. I use it and it does a nice job. Good luck

[QUOTE=gwoverton;2218237]. Back up compresses the files as it is I have used 23 disks to back up it will be twice that if I were to copy all of the files to a cd. Please respond[/QUOTE]

23 disks? Are you backing up the entire system (OS, programs, data files)?
How do you plan to format the disk? Do you have a windows install CD?
I don’t know if Nero has some sort of verify option when it writes a disk, but the chances of 1 in 23 giving you a problem is a possibility.

[QUOTE=gwoverton;2218237]Are you saying that I should not have backed up the files but I should have copied them to a cd. Back up compresses the files as it is I have used 23 disks to back up it will be twice that if I were to copy all of the files to a cd. Please respond[/QUOTE]

How big are those files??? When I mean backup I mean the saved data files you created and documents not the entire program folder. That is useless when you reformat your computer. Cause you will have to reinstall the program again and copying the old folder back will cause more problems then it fixes. Rather get the update to those software from the company and install those. Then just copy your saved data files and documents back into their corresponding folder and restart the program and see if it can see and open those files or run them. I would also add to that if one of those 23 goes bad in the process or you loose or break the media your up a creek. Making that many disc your risk factor goes way up for making a bad media.

[QUOTE=gwoverton;2218237]Back up compresses the files as it is I have used 23 disks to back up it will be twice that if I were to copy all of the files to a cd.[/QUOTE]

What kinda media are you referring to 23 disk??? This response is confusing doesn’t make sense - you need to clarify what your talking about the media type here???

gwoverton ;Is what you are trying to do is use Nero as a Backup software?
I’m pretty sure that is not going to work.To do a reformat anyway.
This is going to fail & you will have to do a fresh install.There are probably some of the BU files you could put back in but a lot you couldn’t.
What you need is a software like Acronis TI or Norton ghost.
The O and O DiskImage Express suggested by THE C might be one of this type program.I didn’t check because I have Acronis TI.
Then you can use DVD RW discs much better than CD -R for this.
The best media to BU on is an External HDD.There price has really went down.

Thanks do you suggest any particular external hdd to buy

[QUOTE=gwoverton;2219066]Thanks do you suggest any particular external hdd to buy[/QUOTE]

You sound like your making it harder then it seems. When you do a fresh install you can’t just copy or restore the files back onto the computer the only files you can do that without causing the same problems or more is the data files you created ie .doc files or saved game or data files. What your doing will result in a nonfunctional computer and worse more problems then what you were trying to fix with a fresh install. How much in size Megs or Gigs are your data and saved files??? One should never restore a backup of the program folder into a fresh install cause you are asking for trouble. ie the Registry will not like it for one thing.

gwoverton ;I think most are OK mine is a Verbatim USB which is really a Samsung.
coolcolors is correct about adding files back in.A good rule for this is you can add back any file you could just add to a well functioning OS.
ie you can’t just add a softwares folder into a program file folder without doing an install of that software .(In most cases).
Of course a backup made with software like Acronis will have the same problems as the OS did when the backup was made.
Myself I have a one backup made when the computer was New so if I needed to go that far back that would be close to a fresh install.
To do a real fresh install you need the Windows OS installation discs.I like many don’t have those because my computer came with the OS already installed.It had a restore partition on it’s HDD.
The problem with a fresh install is you have to install all your software again.You can have a backup of just your software & make it quicker but you will have any problems or virus ,spyware,etc the bu contains.
I have around 7 backups of my OS three on DVD +RW & 4 on the external HDD.If I had a crash I would use the last one but if for some reason that one had a problem I would go to the next newest.
I haven’t yet but I have considered a second external HDD to put a backup on in case the first one failed.