Resources for Philips DVD8801/BenQ 1650

vbimport

I just purchased an old Philips DVD8801, as I’ve heard these are great drives. I’ve read through many posts on cross flashing to the BenQ DW1650, but none of the BenQ links are up anymore. Is there anyway to obtain the QSuite software and original or rpc free firmware? Thanks in advanced.

[QUOTE=ramsau41;2670700]I just purchased an old Philips DVD8801, as I’ve heard these are great drives. I’ve read through many posts on cross flashing to the BenQ DW1650, but none of the BenQ links are up anymore. Is there anyway to obtain the QSuite software and original or rpc free firmware? Thanks in advanced.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum :flower:

I apologize for the current lack of easy links to all things BenQ.

Our change to a new server is temporarily hindering my efforts to correct that. It will be fixed. I’m keen to keep this a great place for BenQ fans(like myself:)) to make the most of their drives.

In the meantime, you will find the link in the BenQ FAQ to Qsuite does work. . I would be glad to e-mail you the firmware and tool you need if you PM me :).

You can get BenQ firmware from here as well.

Thanks KTL. That is certainly an option for use with BQFlasher.
Have you seen DW1650 .cvt files in the wild in recent times?

No, I haven’t.

RPC1 firmware is still available on tdb. :iagree:

Michael

If you’re still looking for tools or having issues finding files to cross flash to the BenQ DW1650 let me know. I did the same thing last year and probably have the files in a dark corner of a hard drive or usb flash drive somewhere.

I can’t express how ecstatic I was to discover a Phillips DVD8801 in an old Dell box that was tossed out and my friend had sitting in a salvage pile. Absolutely love the 1650/1655 and now I have a backup for when mines dies; 9 years and still lasering cross fingers.

[QUOTE=figgypuddy;2673380]If you’re still looking for tools or having issues finding files to cross flash to the BenQ DW1650 let me know. I did the same thing last year and probably have the files in a dark corner of a hard drive or usb flash drive somewhere.

I can’t express how ecstatic I was to discover a Phillips DVD8801 in an old Dell box that was tossed out and my friend had sitting in a salvage pile. Absolutely love the 1650/1655 and now I have a backup for when mines dies; 9 years and still lasering cross fingers.[/QUOTE]

Congrats! Always a good feeling to have that spare BenQ on the shelf ;).

In a thread titled “resources for DVD8801/DW1650”, perhaps we should include one resource that seems to be nearly unavailable at this date.

A working link to a DW1650 .cvt firmware file for use with WinDWFlash.

You can find a DW1650 cvt firmware here.

Pretty sure everything you need is in these two old threads:

Are all the dvd8801 drives benq dw1650? Because I noticed there is dvd8801/95 dvd8801/96 and dvd8801/97

Maybe the last digit is just the year it was made because they were from 2005 to 2007

Wish there was a newer drive that can overburn DVD, it looks like any of the b-series of ihas124b 224b 324b 424b 524b can do it but they stopped making those too and they cost twice as much as a dvd8801

Tried a few overburns on an iHas124 of Verbatim +Rs Taiwan and UAE discs a year or two ago with no joy.

It’s a shame BenQ stopped making drives, best all round reader/ripper, -R burner, and quality scanner drives I’ve ever had. Never did a consistent job of burning DL media for me though.

Yeah DL is a problem though I am able to burn 2.4x verbatim DL at 4x using the firmware media ID replacement trick.

But since DL prices never came down, overburn single layer is best value.

I can consistently get 4615mb on old Verbatim media (not the new junk).

It’s crazy no other drive can do it!

Bought a spare dvd8801 myself, going to try crossflashing it tonight.

Another great crossflash. The /96 works as dw1650 very smoothly.

Burnt a test disc to 4615mb and it reads/verifies every byte.

In fact this drive seems quieter than my real dw1650, it’s a December 2006 model.

Maybe the myth is true that black trays have less noise than the beige ones.

I am not sure where I got this firmware though, it’s BCIC with RPC1 which is from the Dangerous Brothers but it’s also speedpatched which they do not seem to list on their site. Hmm. Well it works great.

Ah okay the speedpatch copy is from using media-code-speed-edit utility, not sure what speeds I bumped.

[QUOTE=ck;2674509]Another great crossflash. The /96 works as dw1650 very smoothly.

[/QUOTE]
Nice :clap:. I’ve found myself fighting and losing with BQFlasher crossflashing on a few machine/OS installs and wanted to be sure we had the WinDWFlash method available here as it has become my “sure-thing” for BenQ crossflashing. :wink:

Another good link
http://quikee.cdfreaks.com/

Trying to find a safe download link for qsuite
ah here we go, this is actually benq’s official ftp
ftp://220.228.13.50/dvd-rw/software/QSuite/

and
ftp://220.228.13.50/dvd-rw/firmware/dw1650/

Remember to overburn you need:
SolidBurn OFF
OverSpeed OFF
WOPC ON
I once spent a month trying to figured out why my drive stopped overburning and it turns out I had forgotten I turned back on solidburn for some poor quality discs.

[QUOTE=figgypuddy;2674466]Tried a few overburns on an iHas124 of Verbatim +Rs Taiwan and UAE discs a year or two ago with no joy.[/QUOTE]

Not to divert the thread too much but you did flash it first with the special firmware that allows overburn right? Stock firmware will not overburn… I think.

[I]Somewhat off topic.[/I]

[QUOTE=ck;2674635]

Remember to overburn you need:
SolidBurn OFF
OverSpeed OFF
[B][I]WOPC ON[/I][/B]
… [/QUOTE] Trial and errors. This is mainly depending of media quality and your DVDRW drives burning performance. Just try it out.
I prefer wopc off. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=ck;2674635]
Not to divert the thread too much but you did flash it first with the special firmware that allows overburn right? Stock firmware will not overburn… I think.[/QUOTE]Looks like your memory is failing ck… Do you remember your posts in this thread back in 2’6. :wink:

No [I]“special”[/I] firmware is needed for overburning. :disagree:
Stock [BenQ, Philips, Sony] firmwares will do just well for BenQ DW165* and it’s clones (Philips P166*, Sony 810, Litey DWD8801…). Example

Just for you Pinto2 I’m going to have a go at overburning a TinTin DVD5 I ripped slihtly too large and see what happens. Haven’t overburned anything in years.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2675163][I]Somewhat off topic.[/I]

Trial and errors. This is mainly depending of media quality and your DVDRW drives burning performance. Just try it out.
I prefer wopc off. :bigsmile: [/quote]

I forget which setting but one of those three will prevent overburns from happening. I know because I forgot I changed one to test something and it drove me crazy when overburn stopped working entirely on every kind of disc. Then I remembered what I did, lol - I think it was solidburn.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2675163]
Looks like your memory is failing ck… Do you remember your posts in this thread back in 2’6. :wink:

No [I]“special”[/I] firmware is needed for overburning. :disagree:
Stock [BenQ, Philips, Sony] firmwares will do just well for BenQ DW165* and it’s clones (Philips P166*, Sony 810, Litey DWD8801…). [/QUOTE]

No I think I made a confusing comment somewhere when I was talking about a different drive. The DW1650 does NOT need special firmware to overburn. I was commenting on the newer ihas b-series of drives, ie. 124b, etc. The ihas needs special firmware to overburn and is the only other drive I’ve heard of being able to overburn DVD than the DW1640, DW1650, DW1655 series.

Thank goodness Dell decided to use the dvd8801 which means there are many thousands out there, hopefully for years to come until bluray discs come way down in price.

[QUOTE=ck;2674412]
Are all the dvd8801 drives benq dw1650? Because I noticed there is dvd8801/95 dvd8801/96 and dvd8801/97
[/QUOTE]

Yes, the 8801s are all 1650s.

I have an archive of almost every 1620, 1625, 1640, 1650, and 1655 firmware, so if other sources disappear, we can build another.

For anyone still wanting to overburn DVD+R, I assume there is no other drive around that does this?

If so, there is a seller on ebay selling “Dell Overstock” of DVD8801 drives - they are like brand spanking new, not even a scratch or spec of dust on them. If you buy multiple you can get them down to $10 each. Stock up, these seem to die on me every few years.

There are a few other drives which can overburn DVD+R, such as the Plextor PX-708, 712 & 716.

But the Benq DW1650 is an excellent drive and one can never have too many spares. (Haven’t had any die on me yet.)