Resizing a picture in Adobe Photoshop CS2

I want to resize a picture to a particular size so that it will fit in a standard DVD case. I’ll change the width of the picture to 27.56cm, but the height changes automatically. I want to disable the aspect ratio so that the width and height stay at exactly what I enter.

to resize the entire canvas go to “image>canvas size” then uncheck “relative” and input your dimensions.

to resize an image “image>image size” uncheck “contrain proportions” and input your dimensions

you can also resize layers by using “edit>free transform” and this allows you to drag the picture to the dimensions you need.

the photoshop help file is very helpful and the interface itself is relatively intuitive. just think, “where would i click to resize an image…hmmm the image menu!” it’s not as hard as you think!

Is there a way I can do this to a batch of pictures? It would take me forever to resize each pic one by one.

might be possible within the adobe bridge (the picture manager that comes with CS2) but i’m not entirely sure…

Photoshop can apply actions to a range of pictures (batch mode). For an example on how to make such actions, have a peek here: http://depts.washington.edu/trio/comp/howto/pieces/images/pshopaction/index.shtml

For batch transformation: any output size, file type, colour etc you want
use
IrfanView http://www.irfanview.com/
Freeware, easy to use and works very fast!

Have you any idea how much Photoshop CS2 costs? An arm and a leg! I’d rather just figure out how to use it to do everything I want. I’ve been told there’s pretty much nothing it can’t do when it comes to image processing.

hah thats so funny. it’s like telling him to use a toothpick to catch a marlin

It appears that Photoshop Elements (4.0) can do batch resizing as above. I got a Photoshop Elements + Premiere Elements bundle a few months back for $80 less a $30 rebate.

So thus far I’ve avoided casting aspersions, but… is anyone else having a little chuckle at this guy’s questions? I mean, if he owned the program, he’d have the manual right? Or… maybe he could just run the help file? sigh

I know, I know. We shouldn’t assume, right?

:iagree:

hahaha It can’t do anything by it self! There has to be some one to tell it what to do. So it can only do what the operator tells it to do!! Unless you are using PS full time everyday for a living its not worth it. Paint Shop Pro is a Lot. Lot, Lot cheaper, A Lot, Lot, Lot easier to learn to use and master, and can do anything Photoshop can do.

No I am not chuckling. I have Photoshop Elements and the program is much simpler than Photoshop. I’ve been using it for years (it is a great program and a good value) and am now on version 4. Still, it can be maddening to try and phrase a question and find help online at Adobe. I’ve read tons of books about it and I still can barely tap it’s power. I learn new tricks all the time. There is even a digital camera show on TV now, that shows you how to take better photos and at the end, she does some stuff with elements and I am like: “What the heck?! I didn’t know you could do that!”

I think this question is a good one and I bet there are plenty more questions that will be asked if people aren’t chided for doing so. What we can also hope for is that a few tips and tricks can come up along the way. Who knows, we might learn a thing or two ourselves?

There is no stupid question! Except, possibly, a question not asked. --Christer Romson

Well, I guess you´ve never tried it…and maybe don´t need to if you´ve got CS2

Using the Batch command

You can automatically convert multiple images to the same file format, size, and resolution using the Batch command. This is especially useful when importing images from a digital camera or scanner, or when processing images for use on the Web.

Note: If the plug-in module for your camera or scanner does not support importing multiple images, it may not work optimally during batch-processing. Contact the plug-in’s manufacturer for further information.

To batch-process files using the Batch command:

1 Choose File > Automate > Batch.

2 For Files to Convert, specify which files you want to process:

Folder to process files already stored on your computer. Click Source to locate and select the folder. Select Include All Subfolders to process files in subfolders.

Import to import and process images from a PDF file, a digital camera, or a scanner. Select an import option from the From pop-up menu. The available options depend on the plug-in modules that are installed on your computer. (See Using plug-in modules.)

Opened Files to play the action on all open files.

3 For Conversion Options, choose the format to which you want to convert files. For more information about file formats, see Saving images in specific formats.

4 To change the size and/or resolution of processed images, select Convert Image Size. Then choose the resolution to which you want to convert the images. Additionally, you can specify the width and height of the processed images. However, entering values for Width and Height may change the aspect ratio of the images, resulting in distorted final images.

5 To save modified versions of the files with new names (leaving the originals unchanged), select Rename Files and set naming options:

Select items from the pop-up menus or enter text into the fields to be combined into the default names for all files. Elements include document name, serial number or letter, file creation date, and file extension. The fields let you change the order and formatting of the filename parts. You must include at least one field that is unique for every file (for example, filename, serial number, or serial letter) to prevent files from overwriting each other.

For File Name Compatibility, choose Windows, Mac OS, and UNIX to make filenames compatible with Windows, Mac OS, and UNIX operating systems.

6 Click Destination to locate and select a destination folder for the processed files.

7 Click OK.

I’m still in PS Elements 2.0
Easy to find batch processing …
Click on File.
From drop down menu choose Batch Processing.
Batch processing for Elements 2.0 has options for …
Source folder (with sub-folder option).
Destination folder.
Convert file type options.
Manage image size and enable/unable image aspect.
Rename output files with Document name or custom serial prefixes.

I’m sure PS/CS2 has a boat load of additional options, but in the beginning keep it simply. As we have all done … experiment, experiment, experiment. Can’t really break anything. May get your HDD a little fatter.

I’ve tried irfanview it’s a toy compared to PS elements and full PS

well i rarely use a sledgehammer to set a picture hanger.

sometimes the largest cost of software is the amount of wasted time you take trying to get something done.

i wouldn’t use adobe photoshop even if it was free (Gimp) because i need something that is intuitive and PS is far from that for PC users… Mac people, on the otherhand, seem to be born with an idea where everything is and how it works.

as far as irfanview goes: if it does the trick and does it fast why waste your time trying to figure out notibly obtuse software that will only do the same thing?