Resident Evil:Extinction merge

Okay i ripped both disks onto my hard drive. full disk of disk one came out to 4.62 GB. Bonus disk (full rip) comes out to 1.91 GB. thats a total of 6.53 GB. Now i go into dvdfab plat (latest beta version as of this posting) and after going through the motions (to merge) it displays a total of 5627 MB(5.5GB). thats a difference of 1.03GB that is unaccounted for. where is it, what is it, and what am i doing differently/wrong?

BROWSE the original discs and you shall find out.

[QUOTE=chef;1967206]BROWSE the original discs and you shall find out.[/QUOTE]

well maybe if the person looking knows exactly what to look for but that aint the case here. looked through the whole dvd and cant find anything that equals out to 1.03GB. now maybe its a combination of stuff but id need a bit of help from someone a little bit more knowledgeable in the field to figure that out.

could it be you have dvdfab set to remove adverts and trailers?

hmmm could be. however ive not changed anything from default mode except for the burn speed and the size of media. plus im doing a full disk rip so wouldnt trailers and advertisements be included?

could you post a list of file & file sizes in each of the 2 rip folders, then a list of whats in the merged folder ?
maybe some stuff is duplicated across both discs and merge only keeps one of everything . screen shots of fab’s window with each of the HD rips as source files, and then with the merged folder as source would maybe help also as that would show the details of all of the title sets?
remember also that merge removes all the menus which could account for the shrinkage.

not sure if this is what you need but here it is.

it’s hard to tell from those. i think you need 3 dvdfab screenshots, one of each of the 2 original output folders & one of the merged folder, then compare line by line,
but as the full titles set list is too long to see from the above screen shot, you maybe need to launch 3 instances of fab so that you can scroll up/down each list while comparing the window contents.

I am a little confused. Are you trying to merge two full discs? There is a limit to the number of Sources you can use in a Merge (64) that it looks like this project may have exceeded (I think the 64 number is still correct).

[QUOTE=signals;1968208]I am a little confused. Are you trying to merge two full discs? There is a limit to the number of Sources you can use in a Merge (64) that it looks like this project may have exceeded (I think the 64 number is still correct).[/QUOTE]

the original poster said earlier that it’s just 2 discs (=the two windows folder shots above.) I think his “shrinkage” problem is just due to loss of menus bet there’s not enough data on show to be sure.

another cross check would be for hm to add up all the titles lengths as displayed by fab but that’s a lot of arithmetic!
though if they were dumped into excel maybe it can add up minutes & seconds columns ?

yes im trying to merge 2 disks. isnt that the point to the feature? if theres a limit to sources why doesnt it say this at the top of the menu page for the merge option? are you saying that this (7. Merge: Combine several titles of several sources into one DVD:
Combine two DVD-9 like “The Lord of the Rings” into one DVD-9.
Merge season DVDs to fewer discs.
Create your own special features collection disc.) is not really possible? i mean besides that im combining 2 disks so isnt that 2 sources?

Nearly everything is possible, with limitations.

You need to properly re-encode/transcode and then re-author the content.
You could try with DVDShrink, but all menus will be gone.

[quote=pythonis;1968281]yes im trying to merge 2 disks. isnt that the point to the feature? if theres a limit to sources why doesnt it say this at the top of the menu page for the merge option? are you saying that this (7. Merge: Combine several titles of several sources into one DVD:
Combine two DVD-9 like “The Lord of the Rings” into one DVD-9.
Merge season DVDs to fewer discs.
Create your own special features collection disc.) is not really possible? i mean besides that im combining 2 disks so isnt that 2 sources?[/quote]What you want is certainly possible, it is indeed what Merge mode was designed to do, but judging by the screenshot it looked like you had far more than 2 discs here. There is a detailed Guide for using Merge mode in the DVDFab Tutorial; scroll to the bottom of the sidebar topics list and choose “Guides” and you should see it. In a nutshell, from your 1st disc, put checkboxes in the titlesets you want to include in the Merge, then click Next. Then load your second Source (already copied to your hard drive) using the Source folder or ISO icons. DVDFab will jump back to the first Merge screen for you to make title/audio/subpicture selections; now click Next again and you should see your choices on the Merge Title (task) list. It should look like this:

If they are in the order you want, choose a Target and click Start. I usually write these to a HDD folder to make sure they worked before burning to disc.

[B]@chef[/B]
Merge works like Re-Author in Shrink and can re-author, transcode etc.

well they may have put 47 different disks on the two that i have, but ive only got 2. what its loading up is beyond me. it loads up i check all the titles because i want everything on the disk merged with everything on the other. ive read the tutorials umpteen times but
its 97% greek to me. here let me show you what comes up when i put the first disk in.

and this is the second disk

im not trying to merge only the main movies. i want EVERYTHING on BOTH disks to go onto ONE (1) dual layer disk. which btw is a total of approx 6.5 gb

well , lets try this question, can you find anything on the original discs that is not on your merged one. ?

If I look back at your screenshots, I can see all the disc 1 stuff, followed by all of the disc 2 stuff ( I’m just looking at the play time columns & seeing exact matches for all 5 sets from disc 1 (from1:34:00 to 0.29 )followed by the entries from disc 2 ( from 31:05 onwards but can’t see all of them as there’s a scroll bar ). if you reopen those views & scroll down you shoul dbe able to tick off all entries or to say what’s been omitted.
IF all the times tally, then the “shrinkage” can only be due to loss of menus

over a gig of menus? thats a bit much aint it?

Just letting you know there’s another option since you mention that you want to merge both full discs to one. DvdReMake (Pro)'s Merge feature, which maintains each disc’s structure including menus, is appropriate in this case. But if you like all selected titles to play sequentially without menus, then DVDFab Platinum’s Merge mode is the right choice.

The lost size is due to loss of menus and probably to 64 title limit during the merge, though I don’t know why since DVD Spec allows up to 99 titles (VMG title). I can’t tell how many titles you have selected so count them up to make sure.

btw, many of the selected titles are under 1 min. They’re probably logos, warnings, etc. Are you sure you want to include this in the Merge?

1 GB of menus is not uncommon. Add up all the VTS_0x_0.VOB files to confirm, and ignore the 114KB file. They’re just blanks. Well, in your case, you don’t have 1GB of menus.

i count 28 total titles. not meaning to sound like a… but this is my first attempt at merging 2 full disks so i wasnt wanting nor expecting complications. ive done many main movies before but this is just too much.

as far as what i had wanted, that would be disk 1 with fully functioning menus merged with the bonus disk (with fully functioning menus) onto one d/l disk.