Resetting vendor changes counter

vbimport

Hi guys,

I recently purchased myself a Lite-On iHES208. It came with an old firmware so I upgraded to latest 8L09 from codeguys page (I also made a EEPROM and Firmware backup just in case with Lite-On EEPROM utility). Everything went fine and drive upgraded to 8L09. Now I tried making it RPC-1 with a buch of utilities (LtnRPC, LtnFlash, Settings_utility) and none of them could make it region free :frowning:
The good news is that I can reset user counter so I can switch manually, BUT one of these programs managed to decrease my vendor counter to 4 which I’m not able to reset back to 5! I tried re-flashing the firmware but that didn’t help (it’s still at 4), any suggestions?

On a sidenote, none of the Lite-On sites has actual firmware on their firmware download pages - neither for my iHES208 nor iHOS104, why is that and where can I (officially) find firmwares for these drives? Is this what SmartPack is for?

I dont think the RPCTools work with those drives…Smartpack is your best tool for finding firmwares.

What about my main question about resetting vendor counter?

Cant answer that one.

[QUOTE=excited;2472296]What about my main question about resetting vendor counter?[/QUOTE]

Can’t be done. Sorry.

Not even if I try to restore my EEPROM (backup taken before doing anything)?

Kprobe has some options about RPC:

I am not sure, if this is what you want, and I am also not sure if Kprobe does work with modern drives.

Apart from that, there are some additional region locks in Windows and in (commercial) DVD playback applications.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2472573]Kprobe has some options about RPC:

I am not sure, if this is what you want, and I am also not sure if Kprobe does work with modern drives.

Apart from that, there are some additional region locks in Windows and in (commercial) DVD playback applications.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Is it only me or does that look exactly like as LtnFlash? Anyway, Kprobe does not have ability to clear vendor counter, only user (which I can reset in LtnFlash myself).

[QUOTE=excited;2472624]Is it only me or does that look exactly like as LtnFlash?[/quote]Yes, indeed. Both are from the same author. At the time I posted, I wasn’t aware that LtnFlash has the same capabilities. :o

Michael