Reseting DVD Drives

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DVD RECORDER DVD±R RW. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’m having a problem with my WinXP operating system not recognizing drives. In other words, I have two brand new drives, but DVDFab does not recognize the new media when inserted into the target drive.

I remember discussions about a program that re-initializes DVD drives in the operating system. Does anyone here remember what that program is?

Is this what you’re talking about?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm
Can Windows see the drives?
If it can, it may just be a problem with the media.

[QUOTE=fchateau;2272273][qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DVD RECORDER DVD±R RW. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’m having a problem with my WinXP operating system not recognizing drives. In other words, I have two brand new drives, but DVDFab does not recognize the new media when inserted into the target drive.

I remember discussions about a program that re-initializes DVD drives in the operating system. Does anyone here remember what that program is?[/QUOTE]

Before you go to that kind of solution, try a simple test. Go to Windows Explorer. Check your hard drive. Can you catalogue it?

Put a disc in your drive (preferably not a blank disc). Can you catalogue it?

If you can answer yes to these questions, then your drive isn’t the problem. Take Dialysis1’s advice and start looking at your media as the culprit.

What media do you use, by the way?

OC

:slight_smile:

Have these new drives ever worked? And, as Dialysis1 asked, can windows see and read from the drives? If it can, and if the drives worked at one time, this may be a software conflict with device filters installed in the registry by some other CD/DVD reading or burning application. Some versions and components of Nero and Roxio can cause this. Get devfilter.exe or ImgBurn (Tools->Filter Driver Load Order) to look at them. You can clean the device filters up by physically uninstalling the drive and then reinstalling it, deleting the offending filters manually or from within ImgBurn or possibly the CDGone patch mentioned in the other posts, which sounds like it does the same thing. Devfilter.exe and ImgBurn are free. If you delete the filters installed by these other apps, the software that placed them will not operate properly, but you are probably better off without it if it prevents other applications from using your optical drives.

Thanks for everyone’s assistance.

It turns out that the old drives, which I replaced, had been burning something (maybe a lead in) onto new media disks. The DVD’s were then replaced on the spindle with new DVD’s, without my knowledge, because they appeared to have nothing on them.

Talk about driving me crazy figuring this out. Last thing I suspected was the media, as it was Verbatim disks.

Your advice was very helpful in determining the problem.

Some standalone player/recorders do this to enable their “instant record” function. Never seen it to happen on a PC. Glad you got it figured out.