Researchers work on tiny 1 TB SSD

vbimport

Researchers work on tiny 1 TB SSD.

[newsimage]http://static.myce.com/images_posts/2010/02/1K03Sn.jpg[/newsimage]A new technology for solid state drives could help shrink them down by 90 percent, while increasing their energy efficiency by 70 percent.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/researchers-work-on-tiny-1-tb-ssd-25983/](http://www.myce.com/news/researchers-work-on-tiny-1-tb-ssd-25983/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Awesome. It arrives in 2012. Just in time for the apocalypse.
I’m all for SSDs, but until they get that life expectancy thing fixed I’m not interested.

1TB in a postage stamp size? Noice! Sounds like this tech could end up in mobile phones (computers) at some point in the future.

beam me up scotty

‘the size of a postage stamp’ my arse. Where I come from postage stamps are as thin as paper. Imagine the possible capacity of 1 inch by 1 inch that was 5 foot tall.

:wink:

RM

Yeah postage stamps are a sticker there is no thickness to them. And there a tiny square…

Any way this radio transmission makes me wonder if there will be a way to pick up these transmissions causing a security risk. But even more interesting is if there be interferences developed from other things. I may have read it wrong but the way i read it sounds like more room for problems and problems to come as more stuff is developed making it easier to destroy/loose data. I don’t like the idea of data transferring inside my hard drive via wireless transmissions.

We’ve been teased about this so-called “innovation” for the last 5-10 years about reaching 1tb or more (from various companies)… sometimes they even throw in that it will be priced at competitive hard drive pricing (or better). Until we actually see MASS MARKET product released and the ssd’s prove themselves, they are full of crap. Look at what we have on the flash market today… only topping out at 128gb and speeds aren’t exactly breaking any speed records.

Sure, some day ssd drives (or other flash based cards/sticks) will be the “primary” drive for many computers, but not for at least 5 years and alot rides on the affordability & qc (quality control) factors. These ssd’s need to be at least as relliable as hard drives with storage of data with some kind of s.m.a.r.t error reporting/reconfiguring as the media wears out. Afterall, there has to be some “killer” use for usb 3.0 and the new sata standards, don’t there?

I don’t think it will be 5. I think in 2 SSD will start to be main stream… then in 4-5yr we will begin to see stuff thats truly revolutionary. Thats how it goes every 5 yr we see something amazing or the entire tech area has a huge leap.

[QUOTE=glamdring92;2494197]I don’t think it will be 5. I think in 2 SSD will start to be main stream… then in 4-5yr we will begin to see stuff thats truly revolutionary. Thats how it goes every 5 yr we see something amazing or the entire tech area has a huge leap.[/QUOTE]

When you look at innovation from the period 2000-2010 you find hard drive technology going from several hundred gigabytes into the terabytes range. In that same period most of the 2000s saw flash memory coalesce around sdhc (first 5-6 years being standard sd slot) and usb flash drives, with a small market share for memory stick (and related devices). The flash capacity grew at a much smaller rate going from a few hundred megabytes into the gigabytes only in the last 5 or so years. SSD drives have never been a good replacement for any other technology and for the time being it seems to remain that way until prices and capacities make a REAL revolutionary shift in favor of the consumer. The hype even has hard drive makers hedging into SSD research & development after a brief flirtation with hybrid drives.

[QUOTE=DukeNukem;2493597]Awesome. It arrives in 2012. Just in time for the apocalypse.
I’m all for SSDs, but until they get that life expectancy thing fixed I’m not interested.[/QUOTE]

Might as well start getting interested now since SSD’s currently have a longer life expectancy than hard drives. There are some various articles. Some think it’s less, but the point is that even if you filled an SSD with data 5 times a day, a typical SSD will last for about 52 years. They are usually rated for 100,000 write cycles. That means you could fill the drive fully 100,000 times. And yes, there are articles explaining this. And no I don’t remember where I saw it, nor will I google for you.

[QUOTE=oceanview7;2534808]Might as well start getting interested now since SSD’s currently have a longer life expectancy than hard drives. There are some various articles. Some think it’s less, but the point is that even if you filled an SSD with data 5 times a day, a typical SSD will last for about 52 years. They are usually rated for 100,000 write cycles. That means you could fill the drive fully 100,000 times. And yes, there are articles explaining this. And no I don’t remember where I saw it, nor will I google for you.[/QUOTE]Welcome to the forum.
We have a good deal of articles right here on this site regarding SSD.

[B]Write cycles[/B].
50nm SLC NAND has approx 100,000 write cycles.
34nm SLC NAND has approx 60,000 write cycles.

50nm MLC NAND has approx 10,000 write cycles.
34nm MLC NAND has around 5,000 write cycles, and requires NAND over-provisioning to make sure the drives will last the expected life cycle.
25nm MLC NAND will have around 2,600 write cycles, and will require even more over-provisioned NAND to last the expected life cycle of the drive.

We are now also seeing very smart SSD controllers, such as the SandForce SF1200 and SF1500, which use technologies such as DuraClass to keep write amplification as low as possible.

Judging by those “improvements”, SSDs will soon be a WORM technology! :stuck_out_tongue: