Researchers: “online pirates hardly feel any guilt”

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Researchers: “online pirates hardly feel any guilt”[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2011/01/online_piracy.jpg[/newsimage]

People feel less guilty when downloading pirated content than when stealing a tangible object, according to a report from the Australian University of Monash. The researchers analyzed the brain of test subjects while they asked them to think about stealing either a tangible object or downloading illegal music or movies.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/researchers-online-pirates-hardly-feel-guilt-79383/](http://www.myce.com/news/researchers-online-pirates-hardly-feel-guilt-79383/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Which can also be said for music and movie industry moguls when they try to trample the rights and freedoms of the general public to protect their outdated and failing business models.

[QUOTE=UTR;2774147]Which can also be said for music and movie industry moguls when they try to trample the rights and freedoms of the general public to protect their outdated and failing business models.[/QUOTE]Agreed…

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

If you steal an actual object, then you have it, and they don’t.

The best real world likeness for “online piracy” would be sneaking into an event without paying.

[QUOTE=Matth;2774153]If you steal an actual object, then you have it, and they don’t.

The best real world likeness for “online piracy” would be sneaking into an event without paying.[/QUOTE] Exactly! :iagree:

“If you steal an actual object, then you have it, and they don’t.” People have a hard time wrapping their heads around the concept of the theft of an intangible object. And they may never fully accept that concept. Complicate that with the fact that the very Governments and Corporations that are complaining the loudest about “Intellectual Theft” are the very ones who think nothing of stealing another Government’s or Corporate Entity’s secrets. It’s called espionage and is widely accepted mode of operation.

[QUOTE=pcarey;2774228]“If you steal an actual object, then you have it, and they don’t.” People have a hard time wrapping their heads around the concept of the theft of an intangible object. And they may never fully accept that concept. Complicate that with the fact that the very Governments and Corporations that are complaining the loudest about “Intellectual Theft” are the very ones who think nothing of stealing another Government’s or Corporate Entity’s secrets. It’s called espionage and is widely accepted mode of operation.[/QUOTE]
It’s this model.

“DO AS I SAY BUT NOT AS I DO”… :cop:

"It’s this model.

“DO AS I SAY BUT NOT AS I DO”… "

EXACTLY! So I (and most people) have little or no sympathy for Governments or Corporate Entities. Especially the “entertainment industry”, whose biggest contribution to society is the downfall of society. Unfortunately, the people with some scruples who do produce good works are, by default, in the same group with the sleazeballs. Maybe they need to clean house before complaining.

Good post pcarey.:wink:

Researchers: “Pirates have no guilt, which goes to show they’re bad people. No, we ‘researchers’ aren’t coporate bullshitters who are getting paid by Hollywood to produce biased results. Why do you ask?”

OK, so maybe that’s not quite what the article says, but I’m sure that’s probably how Hollywood will spin it. Even if that wasn’t at all the point of said research, I’m sure Hollywood will use this research to make such claims.