Researchers: Internet of Things large security threat

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Researchers: Internet of Things large security threat[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/11/Internet_of_Things-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

The Internet of Things (IoT), where more and more devices connect to the internet is a large security threat, according to researchers of the French EURECOM and the German Ruhr University. Almost 25% of the devices for consumers isn’t properly secured.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/researchers-internet-of-things-large-security-threat-77811/](http://www.myce.com/news/researchers-internet-of-things-large-security-threat-77811/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Nothing new here, only confirming what should already be known to most. The source 1511.03609v1.pdf was an interesting read though as it gave backround information. Thanks for linking to it :flower:

For more information, I would recommend an interesting book I did read on the subject:
[B]Nitesh Dhanjani - Abusing the Internet of Things[/B], Blackouts, Freakouts, and Stakeouts, August 2015.
“Major security breaches are near-daily events in the news. The frequency and scale of these breaches has made us somewhat numb. As modern societies, we have come to accept that the benefit we receive from adopting innovative technologies exceeds their cost and risk (at least in the short term).” - [I]Taken from the foreword[/I].

Quite interesting 300 page read for anyone interested in the internet of things and the security. :slight_smile:

This is why these firmwares should open to modification by anyone. This way, if the company that wrote the firmware doesn’t feel the need to update it (as is usually the case), anyone with the tools, time, skills, and desire can fix these vulnerabilities, making our lives more secure.

The best way to achieve this is to release these firmwares as free software, using licenses like the GNU GPL.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2763967]This is why these firmwares should open to modification by anyone. This way, if the company that wrote the firmware doesn’t feel the need to update it (as is usually the case), anyone with the tools, time, skills, and desire can fix these vulnerabilities, making our lives more secure.

The best way to achieve this is to release these firmwares as free software, using licenses like the GNU GPL.[/QUOTE]

[B][/B] Xercus read your answer, turned and looked into his crystal ball, and saw a beautiful future [B] :clap:
[/B]
Sadly, proprietary code linked to the product is still where it’s at.

It’s the biggest hacking playground every created. :smiley:

Can’t believe that figure of 25% though. 0.25% being properly secured seems nearer the mark. And the situation isn’t much better with critical infrastructure. Would you trust you life to a set of IoT traffic lights communicating over WIFI secured with WEP! They’re out there…

Shouldn’t be too long before hackers retake top spot in the US National Intelligence Director’s threat list. :iagree::stuck_out_tongue:

LOL, now I call it IDIoT {(I)ncredibly (D)angerous (I)nternet (o)f (T)hings} and I mean it from the bottom of my heart… these devices are all feature and no security from the start.

I hear them say that they will have to find me first, but they are simply light years behind. Scanning the entire IPv4 space is only an afternoon away and you feel lucky? GET REAL!

A little snappy in style, but it is true :flower: