Requirements for converting VHS in DVD

vbimport

hi,

i wanted to get a DVD writer for normal computer and movie backup, but now i am thinking of converting some of the old VHS movies i made to DVD.
what do i need? what kind of input cards for the computer? something not much professional.
i saw pinnacle and terratec products, which of them are for normal analog input, not the DV ones (firewire).

then what software is needed?

thanks

3 Flavors of LeadTek.
The Expert has a bit better recording quality and the regluar is the same as the deluxe but does not have a remote

How fast is your system? If you don’t have a system that’s fast enough, you should get a product that can do hardware MPEG2 encoding. One rather popular capture device is the Pinnacle Moviebox (although I wouldn’t recommend it since it only works well with the Pinnacle software and the image quality is rather poor). Here you find a complete list of products that can do this.

If you have a fast system and some more patience… any capture card (TV card, AGP card with videon in etc) will do. You’ll need some software though (video editing, encoding, dvd authoring).

but for quality? does a normal tv capture do it?
hardware mpeg aren’t better? i prefer this solution anyway…

The capture quality depends on the card you use. Most TV cards have a moderate picture quality when it comes to capturing. If you want the best for your HQ VHS tapes, these cards aren’t that good. If however your VHS tapes aren’t of such a great quality, you may as well use a cheaper card.

Solutions with an embedded MPEG2 encoder can give better picturequality (a very important thing is that the chance on dropped frames is much lower), but only if they have a really good MPEG2 encoder. When using a software MPEG2 encoder, you can make use of the multipass vbr system, yielding a very nice image quality!

If you have a bad source such as VHS/Antenna etc MPEG-2 capture cards will probably give you more headache than a pure software card such as the Leadtek XP Expert card.
Regarding capturing on slow systems I can tell you that an Intel P3 800Mhz can capture in dvd resolution using lossless compression (huffyuv) just fine.
//Danne

^ how just fine? real time? or 1 hour video = 10 hours encoding

i have Athlon 1333 MHz - with 384 MB Ram.

get a tuner card to hook up said vcr & even cable to record tv! beside the burner thats all you need. Would suggest this leadtek at newegg for 40 bucks right now.

@ mcbyte
Realtime, I cleanup the capture afterwards (hence lossless and not MPEG-2 for instance) and then encode to final format(MPEG-2(SVCD/DVD)/4(XviD).
//Danne

but in my area (italy) i cannot find such cards, those found everywere are terratec, pinnacle and empiremedia…

i found that Pinnacle PCTV Pro supports MPEG2 compression 2, is it hardware compression? good kind?

It’s not that good. It’s doable, but it will never beat the quality that CCE can do.

PCTV Pro is a software card (bt878a) with a software encoder unless Pinnacle has reworked it recently.
//Danne

Solutions with an embedded MPEG2 encoder can give better picturequality (a very important thing is that the chance on dropped frames is much lower), but only if they have a really good MPEG2 encoder. When using a software MPEG2 encoder, you can make use of the multipass vbr system, yielding a very nice image quality!

But if you have a fast enough harddrive you should not drop frames.

A good SCSI or SATA drive should be able to “eat up” all the frames. :stuck_out_tongue:

another alternative can be

there is only 1 shop that sells hauupauge, and they are rather expensive…

the pinnacle pctv pro, even is software mpeg2, it can register not mpeg, then convert with other software to dvd format?

how is conversion time? too long? i hear people who backup dvd’s on CD’s that it take many many hours (arrives to more than 8 hours)… will it take like this?

as i said, i have Athlon 1333MHz, 384MB ram…

for now, i have only few vhs to convert (4-5 maybe), i will not make of it everyday use…

Then if you just have few vhs to convert… Just get the Leadtek or TV wonder (ATI). They have also tv tuner so you can record tv programs.

If it don’t work, just bring it back, simple as that. Just inform yourself about the RMA policy before buying.

as i said, there is no leadtek here.
i found in all shops pinnacle and terratec…
i found that Pinnacle PCTV Pro and Terratec 400 or 600 are good, and doesn’t cost much (near 100 euro). they both seem software mpeg2 compression (pinnacle need buying an update to allow this feature), OK with software.

registering directly to mpeg2 will be bad, dropped frames… so first step is to save to some fast compression, then convert to mpeg2/DVD format.

is it like this.

i’ve been check the website of terratec, and their card seems interesting…

i forgot about VCD and SVCD, and most/all dvd players can play VCD too, and my vhs are (as all vhs) low quality, and VCD can be also enough for them…

so, i have quite decided on it, unless someone have a reason why it is not good…

Hi Man,

The capture card will be for sure come with many many problems: after this hardware one, you will have to find the good software(s) (not all freeware) and parameters! That will take a lot of time for what result? a poor or medium quality!
To me it’s far more easy to buy a digital VCR like Toshiba DR-1 or Panasonic DMR-50 wich provide pretty good quality in an easy way.

i’ve been reading this article:
http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pvr/pvr7.shtml

it shows that software compression cards have many advantages over hardware compression ones.