Requesting Help from Lite-on DVD-ROM owners

I have an older stand-alone DVD player that does not recognize or play burnt DVDs well. The loader in the player is a standard PC IDE type DVD-ROM. After doing some research, I have found out that this loader can be directly replaced with a more modern DVD-ROM drive to allow it to read all formats of burnt disks.

The only requirements for the drive is that it be region free (the firmware in the player controls the region) or capable of being modified to region free and that the drive does not require something called “authentication”. From the actual instructions:

[I]Not all computer IDE DVD-ROM drives are compatible with the player. Some drives require an “authentication” process once a disc is inserted before the drive will retrieve the data from encrypted sectors on a DVD-ROM. The player firmware does not perform this authentication process, so a drive requiring authentication will only send unencrypted sectors to the player, causing a “skipping” effect during playback (not all sectors on a DVD-ROM are encrypted, so some will play normally). In order to successfully replace the DVD-ROM drive in the player, you need to use a drive that does not require authentication.

You may do a simple test to verify a drive that does not require authentication. First, load a DVD-ROM disc into the drive and make sure you don’t have DVD playing software that automatically starts when the disc is inserted. Second, try to copy all the *.VOB files from the VIDEO_TS directory on the disc to your hard drive. If they all copy without an error, then your drive does not require authentication and could be used in the player. If you get an error (will very depending upon OS) then the drive requires authentication and would not work properly in the player.[/I].

I would like to try this modification with a Lite-on drive. I know Lite-on drives can easily be made region free. What I don’t know is if any or all of them require this authentication. So, what I would like to request from all you owners of Lite-on DVD-ROMs is that you try the above test on your drive and report whether it requires authentication or not.

TIA for your help.

48161 had errors sorry but i have no other players except burners to test

Thanks for the info nonetheless. It is good information either way. At least I know one drive not to look for.

i don’t understand what u plan to do…
U want replace the dvd-rom of your old standalone player by a new one ?..

If it’s the case, may i suggest u to consider to buy a new standalone player…
You can have a plenty that are cheap (if money is a problem) and plays very well.
You will spare time, money and nigthmares…

Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to do. The reason that I want to do this is that this particular player is very hackable and has a large community of support for firmware changes and the like – kinda like the lite-on community. I would rather upgrade this particular player than buy a new one.

Hum, that’s a reason, but i don’t see what hacks other than region code you can apply to a standalone player…

who’s murphy?

Callahan, what is this stand-alone player you are trying to upgrade?

u don’t know Murphy ? …
Everybody knows Murphy…

Murphy’s laws…
for example :
… it’s always the last drawer you search where you find what you seek…
… The train is always late, but the day you are late, it was at time…
… you make a program, you tested it 100 times and it works perfectly. You run it from the customer place and patatra, everything goes wrong…
… you know that they cook a fabulous meal at the restorant, the day you decide to go, they have a shortage…

etc etc

in french we say : “loi de la vexation universelle”

Callahan, what is this stand-alone player you are trying to upgrade?
It is an Apex AD-600a.

Hum, that’s a reason, but i don’t see what hacks other than region code you can apply to a standalone player…
Well, for example, there is Macrovision on/off, adding a nice interface for MP3 disks supporting long file name and extra data, backgrounds are customizable kinda like a desktop, plus more.

bah… my kissdvd player can do the same with no problem and even can read divx and a lot more media and has progessive scaning,…
why unlock macrovision if you have a dvd burner ? to make videotape ?
go to www.videohelp.com you will find a lot of players that can be hacked and that are cheap…
I think you will pay much money to try to “upgrade” your player without knowing that it will work.