Request advice on PS2 backups on Philips DVD 8701

vbimport

Lets start with the rather dull story (or you can simply skip to the questions at the end :cool: )

Getting tired of scratching up my original PS 2 games (they do tend to be tossed around during parties and such), I decided to get a modchip, and burn some copies for daily use. - Yes, you can still legally do that around here :clap:

With a Matrix Infinity installed and flashed to v1.88, I now need to figure out how to make good backups. I keep hearing that the slim ps 2 laser is easily damaged, and that copies should be made on the best of dvd media, with the best of burners, at the slowest possible speed. Rumours also has it that DVD-R is preferred over DVD+R.

Also hearing that BenQ is the new Plextor, I was happy to find that my Dell Dimension XPS already had a rebranded BenQ writer installed.

On the other hand, the Dell provided firmware seemed pretty old, and there were appearantly no updates available. I decided to crossflash the drive into a full-fledged DW1640, and now have it running the BSQB firmware version.

Firing up that last version of DVD Decrypter I should now be ready to burn my first PS 2 backups!

However, mostly relaying on harddrives for long term storage, I have never paid too much attention to the quality of my media.

A few feeble attempts at 2.4x with my PRODISC R03(003) of unknown brand, results in a hard working console, long loading times, and some wierd bugs like the song previews in singstar not playing.

Thankfully I do have other media in the house, and a second attempt with some Traxdata branded RITECG04 proved a little better. Loading times were still a bit slow though, so I found it worth investigating.

Nero CD-DVD Speed placed the PRODISC at quality rating of around 40. The Traxdata at a slightly better 70-75. - Time to get some of those pricy, top rated brands everyone is talking about.

I headed out and bought the best looking media I came across. More specifically I picked up some Verbatim branded MCC 03RG20, some BenQ branded DAXON008S and some Sonys that turned out to be SONY16D1, at twice the cost of the other two.

All of these media result in working backups for my PS 2, without any funky bugs or significantly slower loading times.

Now to the point where I could need some advice.

I’ve been trying to figure out what combination of media and burn speeds I should use to make the best backups, considering the equipment and media I have available.

Being no expert on optical storage, I find the test results rather confusing.

The Verbatim media seems to give the best results, and also gives better test results on 16x than on 2.4x. But can the high writing speed still damage my PS 2 console?

The BenQ media seems to be the other way around, giving best results on low writing speed. It sometimes shows a lot less PIE than the Verbatim, but always gets a slightly lower quality score, I assume this is related to the occasional spikes on PIF.

All in all I’m not even sure the test results I’m getting are decent. Some of the numbers seem pretty high compared to some of the tests I’ve seen around cdfreaks.

I was hoping someone with more experience could help me decipher the test results, and perhaps advice me on the best pratice for creating PS 2 backups with this drive.

phew … that was a long first post =)

A few things:

I believe the reason people suggest using the highest quality disks for PS2 backups is because PS2’s are in general, picky readers. I don’t think trying to play crappy burns will ruin the laser. I think the laser sensitivity was due to a hardware flaw in v12 and possibly v13 PS2’s. Check your PS2 version here: http://www.mod-chip.com/en/ps2version.htm

The forum standard for scanning in BenQ drives is 8x. You can download the latest version of cd/dvdspeed which allows scanning @ 8x P-CAV to save some time.

As far as burn quality, just try and keep the QS above 90 and the jitter under 12%. It seems your 1640 likes those Daxons (nice jitter). The MCC results are a bit worrying as your error rates are very high. You might want to try burning the ripped iso file with Imgburn (www.imgburn.com) which is the updated burning engine from dvddecrypter.

This is a v14, so I really hope you are right on this one :slight_smile:

The forum standard for scanning in BenQ drives is 8x. You can download the latest version of cd/dvdspeed which allows scanning @ 8x P-CAV to save some time.

Ah, I didn’t realize there was a forum standard, and so I chose to scan in 4x. The error and fail rates seems to increase with higher speeds, and I wanted results that would relate to the assumed 4x reader in the PS2.

I believe my version of cd-dvd speed does support 8x P-CAV, but I’ll go look for an updated version anyhow.

As far as burn quality, just try and keep the QS above 90 and the jitter under 12%. It seems your 1640 likes those Daxons (nice jitter). The MCC results are a bit worrying as your error rates are very high.

The quality score is usually 95-98 on all of the mentioned media, though the other numbers still concerned me.

Is there reason to consider the warning on high write speeds for PS2 backups, or should I just aim for whatever gives the best QS?

You might want to try burning the ripped iso file with Imgburn (www.imgburn.com) which is the updated burning engine from dvddecrypter.

Thanks, I’ll give this one a try!

Sure there is a newer version of CD-DVD Speed than 4.51.1?
I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

no, there is not a newer version than 4.51.1 currently, my mistake.

You can experiment with different burning speeds. Every drive and disk combination will yield different results. Just don’t overspeed ie burn 8x discs higher than 8x.

If the laser issue still concerns you, laser fix PCB’s are cheap and easy to install compared to a modchip. Just do an internet search. I got mine professionally installed and they did the laser fix too. (I also have a v14)

Just found this:

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=58289

Take a look @ post #6
confirms that only v12’s need the laser fix. BUT crappy media will wear out the laser.
Not sure how reliable this is but he/she seems somewhat certain.
If you want the best burns pick up some Taiyo Yuden 8x -R’s.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73989&stc=1

I got mine installed at a sony center (believe it or not). No laser fix tho, i suppose it is not required. They did however say something about media written at high speed could wear the laser. I suppose they could have meant crappy media burned at high speed :wink:

I would get som TY 8x full face if there was anywhere to pick them up. Not easy to come by around these parts. I did see the 16x version, however. If they are of similar quality I suppose I can live with the $1 a piece.

Well, thanks a lot for helpfull answers. The imgburn did seem to imporive quality slightly. As for the very high PIE on the MCC, that only applies for 2.4 and 4x. Last few burns at 16x gave 97 QS and decent PIE at ~10% jitter. Using P-CAV causes some serious jitter spikes tho, and doubles PIE at the first hundred megs of the disk.

Burning 16x media at 2.4x is a very bad idea as the media dyes and write strategies are optimised for higher speeds. You should burn at 8x or 12x speed.

Yes, this does seem to be true for some media, like mcc.

Perhaps solid burn can give you a better write stragety for slow burning on high speed media?

This is kinda strange.

After crossflashing, and switching to ImgBurn 1.3.0 the Traxdata RITECG04 now gives better quality scans than both Benq Daxons and the Verbatim MCCs. Similar QS, but better jitter and PIE counts.

Even the PRODISC-RO3-03 now gives very good results, like 10% max jitter, next to no PI failures and max of 10-12 PIE. However, they sometimes fail miserably giving thousands of PO failures nearing the end of the disk.

Could the firmware switch from philips to benq really explain such an incredible change in write and scan quality?