REQ: Review for a hacked NEC-2500a

the review OC-Freaks made for this drive (http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/134) is for the original one, with the rip lock set, with all the negatives in it.
the updated firmwares remove some negative (rip lock, bit setting), can the review be updated (officially of just posting screnshots in a thread) of a drive with such a modified firmware.

because the drive as it now, i will not buy it, if i see it is better, no locks, i’ll get it.
for now, i am with liteon 812s.

If you only rely on the original review of the drive prior to any firmware hacks to make your decision, even when you KNOW that there are hacked firmwares that fix region locking, rip speed, etc, well it’s your loss then.

that’s why i am asking…

currently, the only advantages of nec over liteon are the media support, that nec is better with different medias than liteon, it’s the only reason i have if i want to get a nec, all others (speed of burning cd’s and dvd, ripping, etc) are on the liteon side…

Guess you answered your own question mcbyte. Writing quality is better on the nec. If you need to have faster writingspeed stick with your lite-on. Superior writing quality was the thing that made me buy a nec. And now with the hacked firmwares supporting bitsetting and several media hacks (courtesy of mr. Herrie & Co. ) it only got better.

Agreed. Write quality of the NEC is superior to the write quality of any LiteON currently produced, for both CD and DVD media. In addition, Herrie has “bit-patched” (changed the name of) NEC’s ND-2510A firmware revision 2.15, allowing us ND-2500A owners to write to double layer DVD+R and take advantage of support for the latest single layer media!

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

McByte - currently, the only advantages of nec over liteon are the media support, that nec is better with different medias than liteon, it’s the only reason i have if i want to get a nec, all others (speed of burning cd’s and dvd, ripping, etc) are on the liteon side…

:confused: These are the only advantages if you leave out the obvious one - the quality of the NEC burns leaves the Lite-On way behind :eek:

:smiley: I have both a Lite-On and a NEC so can speak from personal experience.