Report: US military leaders knew of IED threat

vbimport

I certainly hope the government didn’t know about the threat of insurgents using IEDs and simply neglected to prepare for it!

WASHINGTON — Military leaders knew the dangers posed by roadside bombs before the start of the Iraq war but did little to develop vehicles that were known to better protect forces from what proved to be the conflict’s deadliest weapon, a report by the Pentagon inspector general says.

The Pentagon “was aware of the threat posed by mines and improvised explosive devices (IEDs) … and of the availability of mine resistant vehicles years before insurgent actions began in Iraq in 2003,” says the 72-page report, which was reviewed by USA TODAY.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2008-12-08-mrap_N.htm

Lesson learned: Don’t start a war with no real plan on what you hope to do during and after the war. :frowning:

I think someone has to be held accountable for this type of behavior. How are you going to know that the insurgents would rather use IEDs instead of a straight fire fight with U.S. soldiers, and still not make sure our troops are better protected? :confused:

If I get a chance and remember to ask the question, I will talk to my nephew about. He is currently in the middle of his second tour in Iraq in the Marine Corp. He has spent many, many days in Humvees. I know they were somewhat blindsided with the problem and once combat started they developed bolt-on kits to up the armor defenses. The problem was this took time and they could only do so many every week because they needed them in the field. It was kind of a catch 22. My nephew will have a straight up answer about when they got the bulk of them armored and it won’t be filtered by a bunch of CYA bureaucrats.

My friends in the military have told me a number of safety problems they faced – many of them occurring immediately after the war first started.

Sending Marines on patrol without vests in Humvees that didn’t have armor plating was only the beginning.

I’m curious to hear what your nephew says about the issue.

As Homer Simpson would say, “Duh!”. Of course they knew, we sold them the bombs. And since we soon will be loosing the manufacturer of trucks in this country we will have to jeep on getting the “IED Proof” trucks from South Africa. Way to go!! This is old news, rather obvious also. Hey did you know that the Vietcong could count the rotors and tell how many helicopters were coming?

Like Rumsfeld said, “They’ll be cheering us” and bombing us too.
Bush, Rumsfeld and the Powers that be sent our valiant soldiers in ill equipped while Wall Street CEO’s made enough money to pay for the equipment our soldiers needed. We are lucky these aren’t ancient Roman times, the soldiers would have come back and pillaged us. They’d have every right too.

Don’t even get me started on how the military treats our men in uniform. My nephew, a marine, has to buy his clothes, boots, food, hair cuts and many other items that I actually thought were given to them. We have to send him socks in Iraq or he would have none! Before he got married he paid almost $300 a month for access to the chow hall! Our marines that live on base have to actually pay for their own food out of their salaries. Anyone that knows how much enlisted marines are paid also knows how disgraceful this is. I bet those SOBs in Congress eat for free, get their hair cut for free etc. I have to quit typing or my head is going to explode.

My brother did 2 tours in Vietnam as a Marine and was serverly wounded 2 weeks before his second tour was up. His 6 friends died. He is completely disabled and still has shrapnel in his leg which cannot be removed. I have a spinal cord injury and was rejected. I care deeply for out soldiers and feel humbled knowing that I could not do what they do. I was really hoping that my post would not be received as anti soldier. I just hate the way we treat them during their tour and after they get home, especially the injured, be that psychological or physical, no difference. We, as a country should never fight a war of attrition again. If we are going to fight then we should go all out and provide our troops with the means. No more of this political bullshit. We have nothing to prove to anyone. If we must fight a peoples/country/group, then let’s kill them and get it over with.

I for one would give any servicemen that has at least 25 % disability during war therir salary for life.

[QUOTE=UTR;2173267]Don’t even get me started on how the military treats our men in uniform. My nephew, a marine, has to buy his clothes, boots, food, hair cuts and many other items that I actually thought were given to them. We have to send him socks in Iraq or he would have none! Before he got married he paid almost $300 a month for access to the chow hall! Our marines that live on base have to actually pay for their own food out of their salaries. Anyone that knows how much enlisted marines are paid also knows how disgraceful this is.[/QUOTE]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/militarypay/f/combatpay.htm
The availability of personal goods in the PX is as complete as any Megastore here in the US…Much nicer than what we had in Vietnam…

[QUOTE=UTR;2173267] I bet those SOBs in Congress eat for free, get their hair cut for free etc.[/QUOTE]They pay a nominal amount for those types of services…Much less than anything you , or I, would…

[QUOTE=UTR;2173267] I have to quit typing or my head is going to explode.[/QUOTE]:sad:

The conduct and execution of this war was pushed by a bunch of draft dodging armchair warriors…They tried to do it quick and dirty with too few troops…Hold the entire bunch of them accountable…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2173323]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/militarypay/f/combatpay.htm
The availability of personal goods in the PX is as complete as any Megastore here in the US…Much nicer than what we had in Vietnam…[/QUOTE]

My nephew has been living out of a Humvee in the wastelands of Iraq for the past two months (and will continue it until Febuary) and PXs are hard to find there. :wink: That link is for a E5 and there is a lot of difference between an E5 and an E1 or E2. A single guy at a lower pay grade gets royally screwed. Having to pay for your combat boots, tee shirts, socks etc. while in a war zone is really taking it too far, IMO. Also, food in the chow hall should be free period. None of this is told to the recruits until after they enlist. It should be required as an overt disclosure before they sign on the dotted line.

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2173323]They pay a nominal amount for those types of services…Much less than anything you , or I, would…
:sad:[/QUOTE]

These jerks we elect really see themselves as an American version of royalty. I bet if we knew all the perks they get every year it would be more than their salary.

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2173323]The conduct and execution of this war was pushed by a bunch of draft dodging armchair warriors…They tried to do it quick and dirty with too few troops…Hold the entire bunch of them accountable…[/QUOTE]

Whether the war was justified or not is a personal opinion. I would hope we can all agree that the treatment given to the soldiers on a day to day basis needs to improve. Also, I have never liked the major difference in treatment given to the officers as compared to enlisted personnel. It is the enlisted that do the bulk of the fighting and dying and it is also them that get shit on regularly.

[QUOTE=UTR;2173343]…That link is for a E5 and there is a lot of difference between an E5 and an E1 or E2. [/QUOTE]Here’s the link for a complete enlisted pay schedule…http://usmilitary.about.com/od/fy2008paycharts/a/bpayenlless.htm

[QUOTE=UTR;2173343]Whether the war was justified or not is a personal opinion.[/QUOTE] And my opinion is that it wasn’t…[QUOTE=UTR;2173343]…I would hope we can all agree that the treatment given to the soldiers on a day to day basis needs to improve. [/QUOTE]They’re treated much better than I was in Vietnam…

[QUOTE=UTR;2173343] Also, I have never liked the major difference in treatment given to the officers as compared to enlisted personnel. It is the enlisted that do the bulk of the fighting and dying and it is also them that get shit on regularly.[/QUOTE]RHIP - Rank Has It’s Privilege…
Every soldier is Iraq is/was a volunteer…
I was drafted and did my time…I expect the same of them…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2178454]Here’s the link for a complete enlisted pay schedule…http://usmilitary.about.com/od/fy2008paycharts/a/bpayenlless.htm [/QUOTE]

Like I said, there is a lot of difference between the pay of an E-1 and an E-5

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2178454]And my opinion is that it wasn’t…They’re treated much better than I was in Vietnam…[/QUOTE]

So they/we should be content and shut up since they are treated better than you were?

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2178454]RHIP - Rank Has It’s Privilege…
Every soldier is Iraq is/was a volunteer…
I was drafted and did my time…I expect the same of them…[/QUOTE]

Sometimes rank has too much privilege, IMO. What exactly do you expect of “them”? Do they deserve the same treatment you received or should we try and do the right thing and correct past mistakes?

[QUOTE=UTR;2178471]…So they/we should be content and shut up since they are treated better than you were?[/QUOTE]They should complete the agreement they signed up for…I don’t believe being content is a requirement to be in the military…

[QUOTE=UTR;2178471]Sometimes rank has too much privilege, IMO. What exactly do you expect of “them”? Do they deserve the same treatment you received or should we try and do the right thing and correct past mistakes?[/QUOTE]We’ve become a nation of whiners and this is another example of the reluctance to deal with an agreement, fair or otherwise…
They deserve exactly what they signed up for, no more, no less…

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2178475]They should complete the agreement they signed up for…I don’t believe being content is a requirement to be in the military…
We’ve become a nation of whiners and this is another example of the reluctance to deal with an agreement, fair or otherwise…
They deserve exactly what they signed up for, no more, no less…[/QUOTE]

IMO, they deserve more than what they currently receive.