Report: Piracy isn’t harmful to entertainment industry, businessmodels are

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Report: Piracy isn’t harmful to entertainment industry, businessmodels are[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/10/myce-music-industry-2013-95x75.gif[/newsimage]

While the music and film industry complain that piracy is hurting their business, a British report shows different numbers.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/report-piracy-isnt-harmful-to-entertainment-industry-businessmodels-are-69166/](http://www.myce.com/news/report-piracy-isnt-harmful-to-entertainment-industry-businessmodels-are-69166/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I read something similar sometimes and it´s also my opinion.

But the entertainment-“industry” still think completely different

Or similiar reply I made on this link that I replied that is matching…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2703454]Why am I not surprised what did it say about the greed of studio to make money for themselves and not produce any good quality or affordable music for everyone to buy and purchase.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2703454]
Here’s are two missed points.

Had the record companies adapted to a digital environment earlier, rather than resisting it, they could have witnessed growth much earlier, the authors say.

and

[B]Illegal sharing can boosts legal sales[/B][/QUOTE]

Piracy is very common and usual thing in Russia. But it’s not because people here loves to pirate movies or music, we just have not enough money to buy legal movie, for example. Average monthly salary in my region is ~$300 - these money are enough to survive here, though, but each month it becomes harder and harder. My salary is not much bigger, despite the fact that I’m copier and laser printer repair technician and my work is not very easy and often requires brains.

I do not care what surveys and such say I know a person who downloads movies all the time and if he was not doing this he would be buying some of these. It has to hurt some.

[QUOTE=samlar;2703963]I do not care what surveys and such say I know a person who downloads movies all the time and if he was not doing this he would be buying some of these. It has to hurt some.[/QUOTE]

Really and whom is that? If that is so true why aren’t you turning them in to the MPIAA/RIAA chiefs to get a reward? Your vague logic trying to tie together falls apart just from reading it.

[QUOTE=samlar;2703963]I do not care what surveys and such say I know a person who downloads movies all the time and if he was not doing this he would be buying some of these. It has to hurt some.[/QUOTE]

so according tp you, when you buy a music disk, it’s wrong to let anyone else listen to it your home or car, because they haven’t bought it and the artist is being hurt?
so according to you, when you’ve bought a movie, if any of your family sit and watch it, they are hurting the artists because they didn’t buy it as well?
according to you, a fine of $150,000 on top of whatever the cost of the disk was and perhaps a spell in jail is fine?
are you off your trolley? we are talking about an industry that is constantly being taken to court by artists because it hasn’t paid them for years and when it does, it is a fraction of what they should have paid as they use ‘Hollywood Accounting’ techniques that draw costs into shell companies, keeping almost every dollar for itself.
we are talking about industry heads that know exactly what the truth is but have bribed politicians so they then get laws into place to protect their industries. they stop the industries from adapting to the C21st, trying to stay in the previous eras where they were able to control everything and everyone. every time they sue a new company to stop it from doing something new and innovative, does the legacy industries go behind and develop the new products and services themselves? NO THEY DONT!. so the whole aim is to prevent any new services and products, like they tried to stop mp3 players, video recorders, streaming services! they stop these things because they dont want to and cant compete with new age technology that would give artists their proper sliuce of the cake instead of a few crumbs!
instead of coming out with stupid friggin’ comments like the one you have, do a bit of research and stop being part of the industry thinking. try to do some of your own. perhaps then you will see exactly what these thieving fuckers are up to!!

[QUOTE=kevpc;2704124]so according tp you, when you buy a music disk, it’s wrong to let anyone else listen to it your home or car, because they haven’t bought it and the artist is being hurt?
so according to you, when you’ve bought a movie, if any of your family sit and watch it, they are hurting the artists because they didn’t buy it as well?
according to you, a fine of $150,000 on top of whatever the cost of the disk was and perhaps a spell in jail is fine?
are you off your trolley? we are talking about an industry that is constantly being taken to court by artists because it hasn’t paid them for years and when it does, it is a fraction of what they should have paid as they use ‘Hollywood Accounting’ techniques that draw costs into shell companies, keeping almost every dollar for itself.
we are talking about industry heads that know exactly what the truth is but have bribed politicians so they then get laws into place to protect their industries. they stop the industries from adapting to the C21st, trying to stay in the previous eras where they were able to control everything and everyone. every time they sue a new company to stop it from doing something new and innovative, does the legacy industries go behind and develop the new products and services themselves? NO THEY DONT!. so the whole aim is to prevent any new services and products, like they tried to stop mp3 players, video recorders, streaming services! they stop these things because they dont want to and cant compete with new age technology that would give artists their proper sliuce of the cake instead of a few crumbs!
instead of coming out with stupid friggin’ comments like the one you have, do a bit of research and stop being part of the industry thinking. try to do some of your own. perhaps then you will see exactly what these thieving fuckers are up to!![/QUOTE]

you are reading to much into my words all I am saying is that it does hurt how much I figure not to much but they do loose some sales. I for one could care less if they loose sales they charge to much. Please do not read into what I said that I am on there side they charge to much for movies.

I remember some decades ago, well before videos made it to disk, concerns and conversations about the same thing as applies to audio CDs. It was revealed that the music industry was jacking the price up just way too high; too much of a mark-up. This was not being done by the artists, who were fairly content with their profit, it was done by the greedy middle men. It was the music producers who were sabataging their own industry. At some point, they admitted this and said they were resolved to lower prices to more reflect the materials and energy put into the CDs. That never happened, and was the last I heard of it.

Fast forward to today. The same basic thing is happening. Greedy middle-men. There are two main factors that make people download rather than buy: cost and availability.

Most DVDs, if fairly priced, would be around $5, not $15+. There have been numerous times that, based on liking a video I downloaded, if available, I would pay for it in order to get higher quality (but not as much as they want).

In some instances, whomever owns a video simply does not want to share it with the world no matter how many want to pay for it, jet it has become part of Americana so to speak; it has become ingrained in our culture. In other instances, a video is in “moritorium”, and won’t be available for a long time, if ever. One example is (was) “Night Of The Comet”. Was rare and hard to find; a collector’s item. Now, thanks to Youtube, it’s everywhere (I can find three different copies of it for download right now).

I have one external hard drive dedicated to only movies, not to mention a sizable chunk of the internal HD. I guess I must have at least 250 movies, and I’m downloading “Groundhog Day” (1080p) this very minute. This isn’t even counting several hundred music videos.

So, I look at it as payback for those greedy criminals who have forced it to this in the first place. The tide has turned; someone needs to re-think they way they do business. If nothing else, free stuff is like a long overdue rebate for the over charges they have done for decades.

A thought provoking question. Nevertheless, I think the “British Report” might be correct. For a very simple reason. As Gaary mentioned it there were/are two main factors in this question: price and availability. What’s happening at the moment is that prices of DVDs etc. are steadily going down and at the same time all media with content is available considerably faster.