Report: Majority of Americans still buys DVDs and Blu-ray discs

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/report-majority-of-americans-still-buys-dvds-and-blu-ray-discs-84604/

The vast majority of Americans who consume video content, still purchases and rents physical discs. From the consumers who both purchased physical and digital video content, 86% continued to purchase DVD and Blu-ray discs.

I still do, but I prefer to watch on google play ,amazon video.:slightly_smiling_face:

No suprise there…take example digital ebooks they said would replace physical books and yet it has leveled out and it hasn’t surpassed books and now people are going back to book for one reason Physical and read whenever wherever no need for charging or batteries. Sometimes the simple things just WORKS. I still buy DVD/BD and magazine and physical Games even if they offer lower price for eGames on eShops. There something estuff can never replace no matter what discounts it gives. Humans are Physical in nature and will always need that Physical side unless you go “MATRIX”…and I doubt anyone on here would want that.

Count me as Luddite also.

I still get my movies from Netflix on Blu-ray disc.

No internet slow down issues that way and best image quality.

I like the tactile feel of the optical disc too. That’s just how I roll. :grinning: LOL !!!

Not a surprise really, you can do what you like with physical media and you don’t need smart TV’s, streaming players or mobile phones to just watch a TV series or movie. Wherever there is a DVD/BD player and a TV, you can watch.

I find it funny that some people on the internet are genuinely surprised if you say you use a DVD/BD player or even that you use a DVDR drive on your computer to burn stuff. They seem to believe the optical era has long gone, but that’s very far from the truth.

for me it is less about the physical media and more that i can rip to a server, without re-encoding, and free my content to watch on any device and any time i want. given my investment in high quality video and audio eauipment, i can also feed it the best quality possible, which streaming services can’t do.

put simply, physical media still represents the highest quality we can purchase

But of course, ripping is still copyright infringement in some countries. Not that I care though, I will rip my legit media to NAS no matter what the laws in my country say.

Like others have already stated, I like to purchase my video content on physical discs. Although I can see some benefit of digitally storing content on a personal cloud and streaming the content over my home network to my devices.

I would love to see a breakdown of this report based on the age of the person buying the discs or who the disc was intended for. I don’t think the results would be surprising at all but still be interesting.

Edit: Just knowing the report was based on purchases by people 13 or older is too broad.

Actually that is misleading there is Fair Use that comes into play since they aren’t making it for any monetary gains.

It’s not misleading at all, in some countries it is certainly not legal to rip copy protected content, whether it’s for personal use or not. Fair use is mainly for the US and doesn’t matter in many countries, neither does monetary gain.

While it’s considered “fair use” in the US to backup for personal reasons, it’s illegal to circumvent the copy-protections/DRM in place to do so as outlined under the DMCA. Thus we have a conundrum :slight_smile:

And yet the pirate sites continue to live on…right…DMCA is what people use whey they can’t answer what Fair Use comes into play…

Yeah, when it comes to $$$ for movies (and the like) it’s physical disc or nothing, pretty much.

I just can’t see spending something like $10-15 for digital only copies. while that might be convenient for some, I would rather have a physical copy which is always the highest quality anyways when it comes to movies which is why it don’t make much sense to shell out $$$ for a lower quality digital copy. hell, the ‘alternatives’ are better than anything already short of having the actual movie on a bluray disc.

Pirate sites live on, but how many are based in countries like the US, UK, Germany or France where copyright laws are more severe?

No matter how much you bang on about fair use, fact remains it is not legal to rip optical media in several countries and they have stricter fair use rules than the US or no fair use rules at all. There is a world out there that doesn’t have the same laws as the good old US of A.

I havent bought a Bluray or DVD, or burned a DVD in 5 years. I do not intend to do it ever again.

I still rather Own more than Rent myself , though I don’t buy half as much as I use to.
Very few Blu-ray I only have about 30 total

Corporate media never really respects anyone’s freedom, but with DVDs, you can steal much of your freedom back. If DVDs were DRM free, they’d be totally 100% freedom-respecting, but since the DRM is crackable, you can at least regain your freedom… as long as you don’t get caught by copyright trolls.

Majority does it for their own backup so I doubt they have much to worry here.

And yet in 2018 pirate sites are alive and well right… in US, UK, GR, FR…

And yet there are software that blast away those so called protection yeah that will really stop them.

Really and Putin must be lovin someone for it.

Oh yeah, I still get my DVD and BD from my local library and so do many customers.