Report: Majority of adblock users feel guilty

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Report: Majority of adblock users feel guilty[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/09/goodblock-2016-report-on-ad-blocking-2-638-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

The majority of users that use adblock software feel guilty about blocking advertisements because they know many websites are dependent of advertisements for their income.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/report-majority-adblock-users-feels-guilty-80524/](http://www.myce.com/news/report-majority-adblock-users-feels-guilty-80524/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I do not feel quilty at all. I use UBlock Origin and its great and free

Majority “feel guilty” ?

I find that quite unlikely and it sounds suspiciously manipulative to my ears.

I don’t feel guilty about blocking web ads, I don’t feel guilty about ignoring newspaper ads, I don’t feel guilty about fast-forwarding through tv commercials on my recorder, I don’t feel guilty about not buying everything in the stores I visit, and I don’t feel guilty about hanging up whenever someone is trying to spam their stuff by calling me on the phone.

^ :iagree:

“Some guilt…”? now that’s a vague one. Here’s a few youthful replies from my daughter and 5 friends as I just asked them if they felt guilt using AD-blockers:

1. Hell no!
  2. forget it, won’t happen in life.
  3. like what retards were asked?
  4. get real!
  5. said what? muahahaha.
  6. Yeah right, I simply love annoying ads all over the web!

I would say it is hard to trace any remorse there (no attempt was made to beautify the replies when translating) :bigsmile:

O.k, they are all around twenty years old and so belong to the same generation, but I don’t feel any guilt myself either.

The only reason anyone ever disabled adblock on a site is because the site won’t work with it on. Gotta wonder who’s paying for this so-called research.

Some pretty big holes here:

This appears from a report by Gladly, the company behind the adblocker Goodblock.
Notice they don’t have a link to the company supporting this? Odd don’t you think … :Z

Now for the holes:

This is why we built our own ad blocker, Goodblock, which not only blocks ads but also allows users to opt-in to a few enjoyable ads each day. If they do, those ads raise money for charity.
What charity are they talking about?

We surveyed Goodblock users to gain a deeper insight into ad blocking users’ behavior and attitude toward online advertising.
Notice how selective this insight is?

About 80% of Goodblock users reported feeling some level of guilt around blocking ads. This high percentage runs contrary to the stereotypes associated with ad blocking users.
Really, and whom where these [B]bots [/B]that you asked the same question?

This story is no longer valid with the vast majority of ad blocking users fully understanding the consequences of ad blocking, and feeling torn about it.
In your small world thinking sure but in the wider world that is a big “NOT”. Get shafted enough times and users will ad block.

We also found the most cited reason for downloading an ad blocker was that a few sites had particularly annoying ads, and a common sentiment toward online advertising was that the ads are fine, but there are simply too many of them.
Really…it took this long to figure that out… :Z

these sentiments and high percentage of whitelisting show that users aren’t necessarily against all online ads
That couldn’t be farther from the truth - online ads just ^&&^*&^ is that clear enough.

they are simply using ad blockers as a tool to improve their user experience.
If life was so simple… not

there was a large group of users (30%) who expressed anger when the content was completely blocked.
How about raise that to 100%

From our perspective, this report shows that ad blocking is a much more nuanced phenomenon than many have assumed.
This is what I call In-the-box thinking. Nothing new here.

the majority of ad blocking users are not downloading ad blockers to remove online advertising completely, but rather to fix user-experience problems on a subset of websites with particularly annoying ads.
What world are they living in?

and this can only be done by focusing on the user first.
something that was lost long time ago and trust no longer can be bought
All in all this fake Report was all that Fake…

I can atest in the start of the internet age is was a world of knowledge and exploration but as adware became more and more intrusive all this went out the Windows(pun). I was happy to have found my PC hosts edit file and with that I could again enjoy the internet I paid for since those adware didn’t pay to block my internet experience.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2781214]We’ve just posted the following news: Report: majority adblock users feels guilty…[/QUOTE]

This is just an advertisement for Goodblock with an insignificant user base claiming a majority feels what? … nice pile of junk!

[QUOTE=Millennium12;2781252]This is just an advertisement for Goodblock with an insignificant user base claiming a majority feels what? … nice pile of junk![/QUOTE]
It’s called let’s setup a botnet and interview the bots that will give the results we want… :bigsmile:

I use them, have since the adds became so intrusive, and use ad block origin now on Android. The adds on my tablet get so bad it slows everything down with useless to me crap not related to anything I like.
Just installed it after my other previously working one for Android FF stopped seeming to work or accept commands. It took some tweaking and testing but seems to be fully configurable and MIGHT even be able to use coolcolors stuff he has posted for folks that want to get a direct block going though I haven’t tried it as this seems to work as well as my PC setup does now that I dialed it in.
I certainly don’t feel any guilt, they are stealing my bandwidth and wasting my cpu power loading and running crap I’m not interested in so why should I be. They want me to watch their adds make it worth my time.
I have one site where they give you points you can use to enter a decent but very low odds contest so I sorta watched them for the extra points, plus at least SOME of the android game ones were entertaining.

I don’t feel guilty.  Maybe on some of the smaller more independant sites I used, but not most of the time.

Ads started out ok. They were little banners that advertised something. They weren’t intrusive and didn’t impact web pages too much.  Then they got bigger and flashier, and then more bigger, and more flashier, and it spiraled out of control.

If you turn off adblock now the internet starts to look like an old school party, with things flashing everywhere, and trying to distract you.  It’s very annoying.

[QUOTE=Zod;2781331]I don’t feel guilty. Maybe on some of the smaller more independant sites I used, but not most of the time.[/QUOTE]A legit point but problem is now the hosting site will send the ads with the site so that is what crosses the line.

[QUOTE=Zod;2781331]Ads started out ok. They were little banners that advertised something. They weren’t intrusive and didn’t impact web pages too much. Then they got bigger and flashier, and then more bigger, and more flashier, and it spiraled out of control.[/QUOTE]That’s how it was and it worked fine and users had no problems but now it’s in your Face and worse could be malware and you have no way to know.

[QUOTE=Zod;2781331]If you turn off adblock now the internet starts to look like an old school party, with things flashing everywhere, and trying to distract you. It’s very annoying.[/QUOTE]That is a under statement here. It’s not old school if it was most people would uninstall ad blockers without hesitation but it’s not old school. It’s tries to be but it is not.

I use ublock as some advert were annoying exspecially Russian dating services etc others are as tedious.
Some websites are greedy and show too many adds.
DO I FEEL GUILTY :disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree:

[QUOTE=myke;2781336]DO I FEEL GUILTY :disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree:[/QUOTE]
Why yes we fell gulity…but we go home and turn the ad blockers right back on… LOL… I pay for the internet and you ads don’t pay me to waste my bandwidth.

I will try to block each and every form of communication and data transfer i do not want on my own private infrastructure. Websites that show advertisements may be a part of that.

I am free to do so.

Websites are free to block me from accessing them as well.

I really do not care.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2781412]I will try to block each and every form of communication and data transfer i do not want on my own private infrastructure. Websites that show advertisements may be a part of that.

I am free to do so.

Websites are free to block me from accessing them as well.

I really do not care.[/QUOTE]
I go one step further…until you pay to hog my internet bandwidth then don’t expect me to just let you do as you please with my internet I paid for of which isn’t cheap. Also with the WWW as it says there are more then one location I can get news and find stories to read so if those sites thinks one site is all I go to then you have no understanding of what “WWW” means at all. And another think sites block me as you please that is your problem not mine. As before if the ads were smart ads and not acting Malware.

I’m a millennial, and I strongly recommend ad blocking tools for everyone! uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger are both good addons to have.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2781651]I’m a millennial, and I strongly recommend ad blocking tools for everyone! uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger are both good addons to have.[/QUOTE]
I just use my Windows hosts edit file and that does the jobs without using 3rd party I use the Windows O/S itself to do the blocking and it works just fine.