Report: Hamas offers one-year truce in Gaza

How long until Hamas breaks any truce both sides agree upon? Either way, it’d just be nice to have some peace in the area.

Article courtesy of Xinhua

CAIRO, Jan. 15 (Xinhua) – The Palestinian Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) said Thursday it is ready to accept a one-year renewable truce with Israel in the Gaza Strip, Egyptian media reported.

Hamas has told Egyptian mediators that the group will accept the truce if Israel pulls out its troops from Gaza within a week, said the report.

The Palestinian group that controls the coastal strip also asks for the reopening of its border crossings with international guarantees.

On Wednesday, a Hamas delegation presented a detailed vision to Egyptian mediators on a ceasefire in the embattled Gaza Strip.

Salah al-Bardawil, a member of the Hamas delegation for talks with Egyptian officials on Gaza ceasefire, said at a press conference here on Wednesday evening that "We have no difference with Egyptian leadership (on a ceasefire)."

On Thursday morning, head of the Israeli Defense Ministry's Diplomatic-Security Bureau Amos Gilad also arrived in Cairo for talks with Egyptian mediators on a ceasefire in Gaza.

According to Egyptian TV reports, Israel responded to the Egyptian ceasefire initiative "favorably," but had some "reservations" on Hamas' vision.

The Israeli military offensive against Gaza since Dec. 27, 2008,has so far killed over 1,077 Palestinians and wounded nearly 5,000 others.

Israel must really be kicking their a$$ if Hamas is proposing a truce.

Well in this case I will be with UTR…hamas(small h) means small brains but big crap for brains. Put this way if they couldn’t do a 6 month cease fire what makes anyone think they will go for one year??? One year common give me a break…Israel isn’t that stupid…Take a reality check hamas. Stop firing rockets, suicide bombers and then you will have a more legit claim…And I agree hamas is getting a$$ kicked for sure…why else would they now launch rockets from sinagogs, hospitals, schools, bomb shelters??? Why haven’t they answer those questions and when asked why they get all defensive-doesn’t that make a intelligent person ask they question why???..Why can’t they launch it form their own home if they say they can take on Isreal…now if they do that then we will see whom has the guts to really go all out and as I say they winner at the end of the day gets to make the Decisions. That way now one can dispute who is fighting who…

If Israel is smart, they won’t stop until Hamas no longer exists as a viable entity in Gaza. Even Hezbollah doesn’t want any part of this mess Hamas has created. It will be interesting to see if Obama puts pressure on Israel to pull out of Gaza.

[QUOTE=UTR;2198592]If Israel is smart, they won’t stop until Hamas no longer exists as a viable entity in Gaza. Even Hezbollah doesn’t want any part of this mess Hamas has created. It will be interesting to see if Obama puts pressure on Israel to pull out of Gaza.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know if they can get rid of hamas…as part of it still in West bank and Syria…but for Gaza…they will come close but I don’t think time will do it but they will surely cripple it…and make sure they put REAL palstineians into government into Gaza not hamas whom only wants nothing but war…now if they government there was run by REAL palestinenians whom wanted peace now that will be a turn or events for the good of both sides. I doubt Obama going to do that anytime soon…let’s be real he has problems here financially and politically and two wars to manage. I doubt that hamas ranks high on his wish list right now…Unforuntatly hexbollah has been launching rockets in northern Israel and won’t make claims why…cause they know Israel was already most likely has a plan for this scenario already…for them not to think this is just ludicurious…is asking oh please just shoot me…I think this time hexbollah got smarter sorta…or maybe not…smart enough…to see that using other people for your own pathetic excuse for a government won’t work twice…

I read something the other day that Hezbollah isn’t responsible for the rockets coming from Lebanon. I guess they are trying to become a legitimate entity there and don’t want to provoke Israel into a fight and get setback in their efforts. The article seemed to imply that Hamas was trying to divert Israel’s attention to the north in order to take some of the heat off them in Gaza. Although they won’t admit it, I think many countries in the Middle East are getting fed up with the whole Palestinian/Israel conflict. I bet secretly they want Israel to take care of Hamas once and for all to bring some stability to Gaza and the West Bank to a lesser extent. Overall, I think the people in the West Bank are tired of the fighting and want peace. Hamas probably knows about all they have a stranglehold on is Gaza and started this to keep it destabilized and easier to control. Once Israel creates a power vacuum in Gaza I hope they let it get filled by cooler heads that want peace. Sometimes the only way to secure peace is to let both sides fight it out until one side clearly wins.

They need a year to re-arm. Screw Hamas. Screw Hezballah bollah whatever they call themselves. They use the poor Palestinian people as human shields. They control all the media so those people have no idea what is going on and since they have no weapons they couldn’t do anything about it anyway.

I guess in this debate I am in league with UTR and Zathros…odd but oh well… And to UTR I don’t think it’s a secret I think everyone knows it but won’t say it…it’s more like a unkepted secret that everyone knows but don’t have the balls to admit to it. For Zanthros comment that is the sad truth they took 6 month to rearm and launch rockets … it’s not to easy to figure out what they would do in 1 yr get more rockets and launch again. That is all what hamas is about fight fight…and forget the people who voted you in but yeah they make great human shield and for political rehtoric by placing your missiles next to them. I don’t know the hezbollah thing but if it wasn’t them why are missiles coming from their side?? If hexbollah wants real political recogniztion they should say we didn’t launch those and we will do everything and anything to stop those whom are launching missiles on our territory to further their own agenda. And if those launching are from Syria get back to your own F&&^ side and launch from there instead of using us as a proxy to further your own war agenda. Now if they did and say that I would give them more credit then they deserve but as I said they must talk and do the walk before I will give them the credit and not til then. To use human regardless of who sides uses them is just a WAR CRIME…plain and simple…and those people should be wipe off the face of the Earth…we don’t want yellow backs who can’t eve fight their own fight who instead have to use human shield goes to show you they are all rehtoric and no guts to fight it out. Man, does this make me a Conservative or Liberal or Progressive???

Hezbollah can’t come out and look too accommodating to Israel or peace. They have to keep up some street credibility about being rebels and they do get some funds from Iran. Lebanon has changed quite a bit the past several years. They are slowly getting more autonomous from Syria and are building a fairly nice economy there. They know that picking a fight with Israel will put them on the losing end and will only hurt them. It isn’t hard for Hamas to fire off a few rockets there. These rockets are made from junk and can be manufactured anywhere. The fact Israel never responded to the ones fired from Lebanon tells me they knew Hezbollah wasn’t responsible and it was a ploy to divert them to the north.

Probably so…but still some else launching rockets from my backyard would piss me off. Cause why should I be blamed for something I didn’t do yet…lol…but they should take a stand to it…and I guess their silence is part of it…guess they are becoming a so called political party now…wow…how things changes…

I sent Israel months ago telling them what I would do I would tell Hamas that every time you sent over a rocket we would send 10 with no guidance system so there would be way of knowing what they will hit. The rockets would the largest one Israel had with be biggest warheads. Any time a citizen was killed by Hamas we would take claim one square mile of land from Gaza doubling eacy time. One square mile for the first two for the second four for the third and so on. All Palestinian people in the are Israel take would be sent to what was left of gaza. No giving it back later.

This I am sure would either get Hamas to change or in less than five years there would be no Gaza.

[QUOTE=UTR;2198581]Israel must really be kicking their a$$ if Hamas is proposing a truce.[/QUOTE] Isn’t this just part of the Hamas MO? Launch a few attacks, face retaliation, then want a truce for a while? They just need to get new weapons and attack tools into Gaza.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2198629]They need a year to re-arm. Screw Hamas. Screw Hezballah bollah whatever they call themselves. They use the poor Palestinian people as human shields. They control all the media so those people have no idea what is going on and since they have no weapons they couldn’t do anything about it anyway.[/QUOTE] If you were going to try and attack Israel when you’re out armed, out trained, and out numbered, how would you fight? (Not saying it’s right, or condoning it, but it’s what honestly makes sense for them.) :Z