Report: Blu-ray to dominate within 10 years

I just posted the article Report: Blu-ray to dominate within 10 years.

The future of Blu-ray remains very confusing, as some analysts have predicted the format will have a hard time surving past 2012, which is a mere three years away. Other analysts predict…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15497-Report-Blu-ray-to-dominate-within-10-years.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15497-Report-Blu-ray-to-dominate-within-10-years.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’m looking forward to a study next week that says Blu-ray will die off before 2014. I kid, I kid…

In all seriousness, I think it’s only a matter of time before Blu-ray is able to topple DVD; and agree that it’s still years away from happening, especially if the price of both standalone players and Blu-ray movies remain expensive.

More amazing fud for today! Hmm I guess if I controlled the market and said VHS is coming back, and then forcably enter the product back into stores, I could make bogus claims like this too.

it is going to topple DVD, and you want to know why?

once bluray rewriters and blu media come down in price, what do you think joe public are going to use to back stuff up?

i could clear my hard drive with 4 bluray discs!!
i would need 18 4.5 DVD’s to clear my hard drive.

i could get my entire movie collection on 10 bluray disks!!

What is so bogus about it? Are you saying that it will happen sooner? I found the article inline to what is going on now. DVD still has a %90+ market share and that will take time to degrade that market share which the article alludes to.

Now, Bluray could grab the market faster but it won’t happen strictly in set top-box sales. What they need to do, if they were smart enough to realize it, is drive DVD out of the PC market as a storage medium. Do that and DVD would collapse in the set-top box market naturally.

LOL, steveo119, we posted at the same time nearly saying the same thing. Right at the moment, I have nearly 100 DVDR’s of backed up lossless music. DVD is just not cutting it anymore as a storage medium. Bluray burners need to come down to at least $100 and the media to $1/disk. Right now the cost/GB is really expensive compared to DVD.

Bull%$%#

When it comes to market predictions for the long term they can’t usually be this accurate. In my opinion is just an insult to the reader’s intelligence to come up with numbers like 59.7 % or 73.8%.

Calculations like these to the decimal point should always be taken with a grain of salt. Come on you guys can’t be serious. This has nothing to do with scientific method whatsoever. Portraying false accuracy to the susceptible reader is not the way to go. I’d like to see how they came up with that number. They probably wanted to sound more serious by publishing the exact number their calculator fed them but in the end this just shows how unprofessional they are. Hell maybe they just made up those numbers. (Say a 75 is now 73,8 and 60 becomes 59,7 to sound better.

Edit by admin: removed useless encoding characters

Ok my post was supposed to be this. All the formatting shit wasn’ there when I clicked Post.

Bull%$%#

When it comes to market predictions for the long term they can’t usually be this accurate. In my opinion is just an insult to the reader’s intelligence to come up with numbers like 59.7 % or 73.8%.

Calculations like these to the decimal point should always be taken with a grain of salt. Come on you guys can’t be serious. This has nothing to do with scientific method whatsoever. Portraying false accuracy to the susceptible reader is not the way to go. I’d like to see how they came up with that number. They probably wanted to sound more serious by publishing the exact number their calculator fed them but in the end this just shows how unprofessional they are. Hell maybe they just made up those numbers. (Say a 75 is now 73,8 and 60 becomes 59,7 to sound better.

agreed!! lol

Like the old saying goes, “Figures don’t lie, but liars can figure.”

eh?

I think if they re-examine the market in 6-8 months things may look a little better for blu-ray. Why? Because the HDTV switchover will force a segment of the market to upgrade to digital technology. As that happens, and more HDTVs end up in the market, blu-ray will get a little boost. It’s a more natural sale to push a high-def disc player to someone whose getting a high-def TV. Especially if prices fall during that same period. Of course, it’s likely to be tempered some if the economy keeps heading south.

However, if some other technology, perhaps like flash ram based media cards, drops even more in price and goes up in capacity, the disc as media could be facing a tough battle. How’d it be to buy your movies on a card perhaps the size of a credit card? Small, durable, easy to store, easy to use. Players would be easier to build, with no moving parts to break, so likely cheaper. And upgrades in the future wouldn’t require new laser tech or disc media, just higher density media, which can already be greater in density than the 25/50GB of a blu-ray. SDHC cards, tiny little suckers, have already hit 32GB. How many of those could you fit on a cradit card sized piece of media?

So while I think it’s possible blu-ray can make it, they better stop screwing around, or somebody is going to surpass them.

I tend to agree with the lookout. I don’t see why bluray would just up and dissappear in 3 years. Bluray is the HD format now. The quality is top notch. There is no need to bring in another format unless people have theatre sized tv’s. I think that gives blu-ray a pretty long window to operate in. A few articles bring up digital downloads, but due to the size to HD movies, they’re either 25-50gb’s a pop, or the streaming company has to cut quality to bring the size down. Even at 8 gig movie files, alot of isp’s are capping usage. I think that will slow down digital growth, and leave a demand for physical media. The older HD technology goes, the cheaper it gets. I think blu-ray adoption will be gradual, but it’ll eventually surpass dvd

how many times must I say this!!!

My dvd holds 50 gigs YOUR betaray dvd holds 50 gigs so which one looks better?? DUHHH none they are both the friken same …This is why betaray will never take off like dvd did . How did sony ever pull this blindness on consumers is beyond me!!! Sony does not have anything !!! all they do is have a DVD that holds 50 gigs and this DVD has several layers hence the bigger size The HD-DVD vs BlueRay showed exactly the same quality its the same friken data of course it will look the same, codecs were almost identical.

Bottom line is BlueRay is not a new thing it’s a lame ass old idea and HD-Dvd was the same thing . How can you justify HD when all their doing is adding more layers to a standard dvdrom?? WTF is wrong with you people!!! Sony needs “the laser” to read through the different layers… I will never buy into this betaray nonsense period!!!

Well yah? HD needs more space so you need more space per layer to make it feasible. Both HD-DVD and Bluray did that. Its higher resolution, all it is is a way to get more space on a disc the same size. Its the exact same thing that happened between CD and DVD. A CD only holds 800 megs, where a DVD holds 4.7gb? You need the extra space for video data, just like on blu-ray/hd dvd you need around 25 gigs minimum to hold the HD data. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out. They just needed more space. So they fund a way to cram more gb’s per layer. an HD-DVD holds 3 times the amound per layer as a dvd, and bluray about 5 times…

@coolios DVD holds 8.5GB max (Dual Layer). Not sure where you get this “dvd holds 50gig” claim from. Furhermore, Blu-ray (not BlueRay) is here to stay and no amount of whining will change that. I’m not a big fan of the format but I’m also not blind in thinking Sony will kill the format or users won’t adopt it when prices drop.

coolios = BIG fail!!

That saying comes from when people would make an argument on behalf of something, using statistics. Near the end of their speech, they would often use the expression, “The figures don’t lie!”.
Hence the comeback, “Figures don’t lie, but liars can figure.” (“Figure” in the second case being a seldom-used colloquialism for the verb “to calculate”.)

What is your point ? Yes its a larger capacity optical disc. No kidding. How can you justify HD video ? Are you joking ? HD is here to stay and SD is thankfully dying .
How can you justiify running your PC monitor at 1920x1200 when you can just run at 640x480. Come on…

:bigsmile:cheers!