Replacing CD burner with CD/DVD burner?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the HP DVD1040i. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I want a CD/DVD player/recorder to install in my Dell Dimension 8200. I have no problem with the physical installation aspect, but I am totally overwhelmed after reading the tons of information regarding which unit I need and if I need a “support” program" (other than Nero7 or 8, which I have concluded I should stay away from). I understand this HP unit will burn both DVD+ and DVD-. Is one format more universally compatible with other players? In my spec sheet for my pc, it says that I have IDE hard drives and ATA available devices. What do I need to know to determine if this HP unit will be compatible with my pc? If anyone can get me to this point, it would be much appreciated!
EXFFPM

Hi and Welcome![quote=EXFFPM;2107539]I want a CD/DVD player/recorder to install in my Dell Dimension 8200. I have no problem with the physical installation aspect, but I am totally overwhelmed after reading the tons of information regarding which unit I need and if I need a “support” program"[/quote]Of course you need a piece of software that allow you to burn onto DVD discs. I have no idea what kind of software is already installed onto your computer, but there is a chance, it won’t support your new drive.
A good free software is ImgBurn, highly recommended.

I understand this HP unit will burn both DVD+ and DVD-. Is one format more universally compatible with other players?
Some older players don’t support DVD+R, but since the HP (which is a recycled Liteon) should support bitsetting DVD+R to DVD-ROM, this is no biggie.

In my spec sheet for my pc, it says that I have IDE hard drives and ATA available devices. What do I need to know to determine if this HP unit will be compatible with my pc?
Just look into the manual of your Dell (preferably into the maintenance manual). If there are two IDE/ATA connectors mentioned, you are fine.
Make sure, you use an 80wired IDE cable to connect the drive to your computer.

Michael

What if the existing connectore for the CD/DVD is 40 wire IDE and my new “writer” requires an 80 pin E-IDE connector? Is this compatible?

[QUOTE=EXFFPM;2107726]What if the existing connectore for the CD/DVD is 40 wire IDE and my new “writer” requires an 80 pin E-IDE connector? Is this compatible?[/QUOTE]

Actually, an 80-wire Ultra ATA 66/100/133 cable has the same 40 pins on its connectors as the older 40-wire IDE cable – in fact, the same type of connector.

I ended up with a LG GH20LP20 (long story) which recommends a Pentium 4 2.4GHz+ (I have P4 2.0GHz) and an 80 pin E-IDE cable (I have a 40 IDE). Should I install this unit or find one that meets my system requirements? Thanks for all the input!
Phil Sulkosky

Just change the IDE cable as now days just about all burners require 80 wire cable and they have the same connections on the ends as 40 wire cable

[QUOTE=EXFFPM;2107757]I ended up with a LG GH20LP20 (long story) which recommends a Pentium 4 2.4GHz+ (I have P4 2.0GHz) and an 80 pin E-IDE cable (I have a 40 IDE). Should I install this unit or find one that meets my system requirements? Thanks for all the input!
Phil Sulkosky[/QUOTE]

What I would do is this: install it with your current 40 wire cable for now, just to verify that your burner works and isn’t a dud.

If it works OK, go to a PC store, or buy a new 80 wire cable online, and swap the cables when you get a new one.

But I would very much recommend buying a new cable. :iagree:

For just trying out the drive, this should be fine - I’ve had drives (Pioneer) that state an 80 wire cable is needed, but have worked fine with a 40 wire cable.