Replacement for Plextor PX755SA

vbimport

My PX755SA is dying. Looking for recommendations for a replacement to use mainly for EAC copying my cd/dvd collection to my PC, and making replacement copy’s for my personally owned DVD’s.

For audio extraction I’ve always been a fan of Mediatek-based DVD writers. They are especially good at reading damaged/degraded discs, and when that fails their interpolation (error concealment) is usually superb.

I haven’t used any Lite-On more recent than an iHAS124B, which was a good DVD writer & scanner. (And a perfectly acceptable CD writer.) From what others have reported the C & D models look OK, but I’m not entirely convinced about the latest F version. You may still find the earlier versions if you look around.

You might also manage to find an Optiarc AD-5280/7280S. They’re excellent drives by modern standards and well worth looking hard for. If you don’t mind the price, Vinpower may still have the ‘CB Plus’ (+DL overburning) version in stock. Very good for audio extraction, copes fine with moderate disc damage (much better than a PX-755).

I’m not sure about the recent Samsung SH-224 drives. They often seem to leave single PIFs at regular intervals throughout. (Re-link spikes ??) Although that shouldn’t affect playability, I find it a bit off putting. But they [I]might[/I] be better CD writers than the Lite-Ons.

There are results & discussion threads for the different Lite-On & Samsung variants.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2784564]My PX755SA is dying.[/QUOTE]
Maybe all is not lost. Czary2mary1 managed to obtain a new optical pickup and successfully fix a PX-760 a couple of years ago.

Might be worth starting a new thread on fixing Plextors and asking around.

[B]@Ibex[/B]

Models Plextor PX-755 \ 760 have identical hardware and construction.
Repairs them identically, also OPU are identical Sanyo SF-DS10K but fit and work very well Sanyo SF-DS10L of models Liteon and Sanyo SF-DS10N models from NEC.
In total, easy and fun these models repairs - everything is ingeniously designed and manufactured …
Some examples of my repair these models:

Actually the spindle motor is different for these two models.
I’ve checked in my 755A and 760A.

[QUOTE=czary2mary1;2784700][B]@Ibex[/B]

Models Plextor PX-755 \ 760 have identical hardware and construction.
Repairs them identically, also OPU are identical Sanyo SF-DS10K but fit and work very well Sanyo SF-DS10L of models Liteon and Sanyo SF-DS10N models from NEC.
In total, easy and fun these models repairs - everything is ingeniously designed and manufactured …
Some examples of my repair these models:

https://forum.cdrinfo.pl/f15/plextor-px-755a-760a-sa-refurbished-wymiana-opu-95847/[/QUOTE]
So it turns out that heap of junk ND-4550A I was given years ago isn’t a waste of space in my cupboard, but potentially the future salvation a Plextor. :cool:

Keep up the good work [B]czary2mary1[/B].:clap:[B]:bow:[/B]

Off-topic: Have you found a suitable replacement for the OPU in the PX-716 drives? Have you tried replacing the Plextor’s SRU 3541 with a Sanyo SF-DB11 series OPU?

Unfortunately my dead PX-716A needs a new motherboard (faulty from new it appears, zero hh:mm:ss on the clock). Absolutely no chance of no chance of cannibalising one of those from anything other than another PX-716. Fortunately it donated parts to another PX-716A to make a working, brand new, genuinely unused drive with something like 10,000 hours recorded in the EEPROM. And my sick PX-716AL with that curious speed controller problem seems to be working OK now. The remedy? Lock it away in solitary confinement for 6 months to teach it a lesson. :confused:

It would be great if I could find somebody to refurbish my Plextor. It has been a really good drive. I’ve recovered some really scratched up cd’s.

It is starting to vibrate sometimes and is hit or miss on what it reads. Feed tray is a bit slow. If there is somebody out there who would refurbish this, I would consider paying to get it done.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2784750]

Off-topic: Have you found a suitable replacement for the OPU in the PX-716 drives? Have you tried replacing the Plextor’s SRU 3541 with a Sanyo SF-DB11 series OPU?
[/QUOTE]

I talked with the guys from Shenzhen Nada Electronic and Electronic Shenzhen Jinyangda or Flyer Fish … but no one knows who produced this model of laser for Plextor codenamed SRU3541_8 …
Without the original laser we are helpless against a Plextor PX-716…

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2784757]It would be great if I could find somebody to refurbish my Plextor. It has been a really good drive. I’ve recovered some really scratched up cd’s.

It is starting to vibrate sometimes and is hit or miss on what it reads. Feed tray is a bit slow. If there is somebody out there who would refurbish this, I would consider paying to get it done.[/QUOTE]

Ideally looking for someone who can fix close to each other …
Transferring such equipment is extremely risky and very expensive to …
Probably easier to buy another efficient art used …

[QUOTE=czary2mary1;2784767]I talked with the guys from Shenzhen Nada Electronic and Electronic Shenzhen Jinyangda or Flyer Fish … but no one knows who produced this model of laser for Plextor codenamed SRU3541_8 …
Without the original laser we are helpless against a Plextor PX-716…
[/QUOTE]
:sad: :sad:

IMHO, the PX-716 [S]was[/S] is a [I]much[/I] better drive than the PX-755/760. My PB-755UF isn’t the worst drive I’ve ever owned (those were all returned as faulty/not fit for purpose), it’s certainly the most disappointing.

I desperately wish I could find a PX-716UF. Or at least a decent enclosure my internal drives will work in. (They’re fussy sods.)

[B]@Ibex[/B]

There are only two lasers signed by Plextor …
One of the Plextor PX SRU3041 to W5232TA and Premium 1 - I think it was a redesigned model of the laser Philips but no one knows who is producing for Plextor …

A second model to just SRU3541 for Plextor PX-716.

Not long ago you could buy SRU3041 … even though they never were on the market …
https://www.amazon.com/PLEXTOR-SRU3041-PX-W5232TA-CD-Writer-Disc-carving/dp/B00VWJXAL4
Maybe and so will the SRU3541 that someday someone will issue on sale …

[B][Off][/B]
Also I have a dozen PX-716 (~~ 20 pieces), and some are waiting for the repair of laser …
In this one of the soft fw.8.06 about which I do not know what the model and how it another soft as in all models known to me but I’ve been here before I asked about it here …

Or Japanese Full Version

Apologies to [B]Harley2ride [/B]for deviating off-topic. :flower:

Thank you very much for the information. Very interesting. :flower:

~$17 for a spare OPU for my Premium is tempting. I wonder if they are new as stated, or maybe someone has been taking them out of old drives sent for recycling and ‘refurbishing’ them.

Does the laser & electronic circuit used in Plextor’s SRU optical pickups look at all similar to those used in Benq drives? I’m wondering if they may have been made by Philips, but to Plextor’s design/specification?

[B]@Ibex[/B]
I bought in China 10 pieces of these lasers SRU3041. All were new and packed in such packages as the first photo in the link of repair Premium 1.

After replacing the OPU drives work perfectly …

I decided to try a lite on LH20A1S12C that I found new in box on Ebay. I am ripping CO’S on two machines. On one I am using the new Litton. On the other an Sh203. Both are reading my scratched up cds and doing it quickly with very low loss. On one bad cd one of the most scratched tracks came in at 94%.
I can’t find much information on the LH20A1S12C, but so far it is doing a good job of ripping and error correction,

L

Oh, and I found and purchased a Sony Optiarc 5280s CB Plus for $40.00

Like pretty much all Mediatek-based DVD writer (or at least the Samsungs & Lite-Ons), the Lite-On 20A1 is a very good ripper - CD or DVD. Good DVD writer as well, and there’s Codeking’s patched firmware. (But alas not an 18x read version it appears.)

Downsides are it tends to get its speed control wrong when commencing scanning, so typically shows ‘false’ elevated errors at start. And it’s from Lite-On’s noisy phase (twin of the 18A1), although motor seems very durable. IIRC, some drives had a different, quieter mechanism (20A4 type, Benq-style top).

Delighted you found an Optiarc. Also a great ripper and much quieter than the Lite-On. It’ll probably go down in history as one of the last great DVD writers. (I much prefer mine to the 7260.) The 1st generation drives are almost one of the greatest CD writers of all time - fantastic jitter at even maximum speed, apart from a wobble just after the start at all P/CAV speeds (definitely a bug). And that’s a good price for the CB Plus version.

Enjoy. :flower:

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2785007]I decided to try a lite on LH20A1S12C that I found new in box on Ebay. I am ripping CO’S on two machines. On one I am using the new Litton. On the other an Sh203. Both are reading my scratched up cds and doing it quickly with very low loss. On one bad cd one of the most scratched tracks came in at 94%.
I can’t find much information on the LH20A1S12C, but so far it is doing a good job of ripping and error correction,
[/QUOTE]

Try just searching for “LH-20A1S” and you should find quite a bit of information. :slight_smile:

The “-12C” only denotes how the drive was stocked & shipped (bare drive, with software, extra faceplate, etc; sometimes includes the region in which the package was sold).

The LH-20A1S was LiteOn’s first SATA DVDRW drive (or was close to the first one for them), which should tell you the age of the design. Since then, we’ve been through…10 or more new drive generations.

As Ibex said, it’s a fun little drive, though. :slight_smile:

You mean I accidentally got a good ripper?

Yep. :iagree:

The only thing better for scratched CDs than a Mediatek Lite-On or Samsung is an ALI-based Benq CD writer. But even then the Mediatek is generally better. (And much better than a Plextor.) I have both types and only resort to the Benq when the Mediatek fails. Optiarcs are pretty good also and can occasionally succeed where a Mediatek fails. The Lite-On’s also great with DVDs.

Tip: Most audio caching Lite-Ons (including that model) support the FUA cache-flushing command with EAC or dBpowerAMP to speed up re-ripping.

Many insist it’s for Plextors only, but I’ve been using it successfully with my Lite-Ons for over a decade. Test if it works using Spath’s Cache Explorer tool (here on the forum). My 20A1S supported it so yours should, but other things can interfere with it. (AnyDVD, Passkey etc. will interfere with secure ripping of CDs.)

This lh 20 is a great ripper. Extremely fast. I had a badly scratched cd, and it ripped it in 5 minutes. Used EAC. Only problem is that I could hear popping where all the scratches were.

Popping?!? :eek::confused:

It wasn’t the sound of the head moving to re-read?