Replacement for ND3550A

vbimport

Years ago I was looking for a dvd drive, came to this forum, and bought a NEC ND3550A. It was a good purchase. But my wonderful drive has finally bit the dust, no longer reads dvd’s.

So I came here again and read the reviews, Chose the AD7240S and was referred to the AD7261S (for Light Scribe if I ever wanted that) and ordered one. Sadly I can’t make it work with the SATA on my old KT600L MB.

That’s ok, it will go into the new computer I will soon build. But I still need to replace the drive in my present puter with an IDE drive. Of course I went looking for another ND3550A. All I am finding are used units at the same price as a new drive and refurbs at twice the price.

While I haven’t been paying attention there must have been some decent IDE models later that the ND3550, perhaps even a NEC, something I might be able to buy new at this time.

I don’t really care too much about speed and for features, whatever the ND3550 would do is good enough, anything else would be gravy. I do want long term reliability.

Suggestions will be appreciated and links to reviews here would be nice.

Thank you.

There haven’t been many newer IDE interface drives that people have been enthused about. The last one I remember that had universal appeal was the Optiarc 7200A, but it is long since out of production.

Looking at the choices at Newegg, I’d probably get either the LG GH22LP21: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136221

or the Lite-on Ihap322-98: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106327

The Samsung 22x IDE interface drives are probably the most controversial, as many people tried them with early firmware and had terrible results. The later firmwares helped them quite a lot, but even so, I don’t really recommend them. Miss Kitty may slap me upside the head with a frozen kipper for that however.

Long term reliability may not be obtainable in modern drives. Build quality is not what it was back in the NEC 3500 days. We hear a lot of complaints about drives lasting a year or so, then dying in various ways.

Thank you Kerry56

Apparently the Lite On doesn’t do DL and I want this for backup purposes

Actually the 7200A is available and it looks pretty good but it doesn’t have LightScribe. I kinda would like to have this…one of my upcoming projects is to make CD’s of a cassette collection I painfully made years ago. This would be a nice feature for this though I probly wouldn’t ever use it again.

So. of your suggestions it seems the LG might be the best choice though the consumer comments are scary.

But before I order it I have one more hairbrained notion and would appreciate your (or anyone’s) comments.

I think there are PCI (I have regular old PCI slots available) cards that create SATA connections but I don’t know much about this. I read somewhere that some of these cards don’t allow for boot from the drive and that is critical. I also think it might be possible that some of these cards might also allow for USB3 connection and that could be a plus.

If I could go in that direction perhaps I could use the AD7240S I already bought. If any of you guys have done this and/or know of a suitable card I would appreciate hearing about it.

Much thanks

The Lite-on certainly can write to DL media. Don’t know why its left off in the description at Newegg, but no one has made a dvd burner in the last 6 years that couldn’t burn DL disks. It doesn’t have Lightscribe though. For that you’d have to switch over to the iHAP222-06: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106282

I’m not the one to ask about SATA controller cards with PCI connectors. Michael would know this subject. You might want to read these two threads: http://club.myce.com/f7/some-questions-about-sata-controllers-319649/

Hehe…no, not this time - my Sammy 22x drives are SATA, and even burn MBIL Verbie +R DLs nicely! At 6x, though :wink:

So any comments I’ve made will refer to those, rather than the IDE version. :slight_smile:

Long term reliability may not be obtainable in modern drives. Build quality is not what it was back in the NEC 3500 days. We hear a lot of complaints about drives lasting a year or so, then dying in various ways.

Ain’t that the truth :iagree:

Of the choices given, I’d probably pick the Litey - what with the Patch Utility to improve burn quality and do other cool stuff.

I got sidetracked from this project but built a new puter and the AD7261S seems to be working ok with it. Haven’t tried anything with Nero yet but I think I will be in good shape. Big thanks to all for your help and suggestions.:smiley:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2587134]Long term reliability may not be obtainable in modern drives. Build quality is not what it was back in the NEC 3500 days.[/QUOTE] Still got my 3500 RPC1 running smoothly. Well, it’s been doing practically nothing since the NAS got upgraded, but it’s still working. :slight_smile: