Replacement for Lite-On SOSW-852S for Averatec 6220

I like to replace my Lite-On laptop internal drive model SOSW-852S on my Averatec model 6220.

I contacted Lite-On and they told me that the drives-even if I get a another Lite-On-differ in size. If the laptop is compatible regardless if the dimensions differ, I can use it.

Do they really differ that much in size? I heard some people on this board replaced their SOSW-852S with Optiarc AD-7530A, but I don’t know if that will work on my laptop.

Any suggestions on what I should get? Anyone here own an Averatec 6220 who can give me any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Here is the email that was written to me from Lite-On:

"Here are the dimentions for the SOSW-852S.

138.0 ( W ) x 24.0 ( H ) x 155.0 ( D ) mm

The DS-8A1P has the dimensions as follows:

128.0 (W)mm x 13 (H)mm x 126 (D)mm

The drives have a different size when comapred to one another. If these differences are tolerable by the laptop, you can swap these models out. If the differences in size are not tolerable, you will have to find a replacement drive with more similar dimensions. "

I still own an Averatec laptop with that same drive in it! I replaced it with a Optiarc AD-5540A from Sony/Nec. It was very easy to replace with just one screw holding it in. The grey face plate will have to be put on the new drive from the old drive. You can order it direct or thru a 3 party. The drives specs are listed below!

Optiarc.com

AD-5540A
Multifaceted, powerful - and only 12.7 mm in height.

We’d like to present two great new units with multiple read and write functions and the most compact form imaginable. They read DVD-ROMs with up to 8x speed and CD-ROMs with up to an amazing 24x speed.

The AD-5540A will impress you just as thoroughly when writing, due to their excellent values in all formats. It writes to DVD-Rs, DVD +Rs and DVD +RWs at 8x speed ­ or DVD-RWs at 6x speed. And it handles DVD-R DL/DVD +R9 format disks just as comfortably (4x) as CDs in -R/-RW formats (24x).Product Specification
Read Speed: DVD: 8x max. CD: 24x max.
Transfer Rate write: DVD-R: 8x max. DVD +R: 8x max. DVD-RW: 6x max. DVD +RW: 8x max. DVD-R DL: 4x max. DVD +R9: 4x max. CD-R: 24x max. CD-RW: 24x max.
Access time: DVD: 180 ms CD: 150 ms
Mechanism: Tray load mechanism
Interface: E-IDE / ATAPI
Burst transfer rate: PIO mode 4 / Ultra DMA 33
Media supported: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW, DVD +R, DVD +RW, DVD +R9, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW
Modes supported: DVD-Video, CD-ROM XA, CD-Audio, CD Extra, CD Text, CD-I Ready, CD-Bridge, PhotoCD, Video CD, Hybrid CD
Writing methods: DAO, SAO, TAO with zero gap, variable or fixed packet, multisession
Compatibility: MPC Level 3, MultiRead, PC2001
Weight: 0.18 kg
Dimensions: 128 mm x 12.7 mm x 129 mm
Special features: 12 cm and 8 cm CD and DVD media are supported, buffer under run error prevention

I substituted a Liteon DS-8A1P in my laptop that did not have a Liteon DVD burner in it. whatever comes stock with MSI. You don’t have to open the case – there is a mini Phillips head screw about 4 inches from the front of a drive on the underside of the laptop. Take it out and the whole drive slides out. There typically is a bracket on the old laptop drive that the screw screws into that you have to transfer to the new drive. The tricky part is the bezel – look carefully with good light and you will see two little plastic tabs, one on either end of the bezel, that clip in to the drive tray. these need to be carefully pushed out with a paperclip or a mini screwdriver. If you don’t change the bezel the new drive will probably not fit right because laptop cases are shaped differently from each other. The lite-on drive I bought didn’t even come with a bezel