Replacement for DW1640 Need: *IDE* VGOOD BURN QUALITY, CD-R DVD-R

vbimport

Hi,

I’m after a new DVD Burner to replace my amazing DW1640.

What I need:

• Speed.

• High quality burns.

• Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R / CD-R is my media type.

• IDE, must be avaliable in IDE / PATA.

Cheers

Scott :bigsmile:

try samsung 22x

Not hearing to much good stuff about them.

[quote=bytor7;2159485]Hi,

I’m after a new DVD Burner to replace my amazing DW1640.

What I need:

• Speed.

• High quality burns.

• Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD-R / CD-R is my media type.

• IDE, must be avaliable in IDE / PATA.

Cheers

Scott :bigsmile:[/quote]
LG makes a 22X PATA drive also. Its pretty good. But honestly I would look at the new Pioneers, I dont have one but I heard they are awesome.:wink:

alan, i wanted the 216, but its sata only :(, thus the reason for this thread!

The Optiarc 7200 is a nice burner, but will “only” do my media @ 18x as far as imaware. The samsung 222 will do them at 22x with ok quality so i might go for it, regardless of some of the problems people have had with the burner itself.

@ bytor7,

The Pioneer DVR-116 is IDE and the DVR-216 is the SATA version of the DVR-116. Same Drive just different interface.

The Pioneer DVR-116 Disk Quality Scans of Taiyo Yuden Media is excellent.

It should be noted that there is absolutely NO DVD Media that is certified faster than 16x speed so don’t be snickered into the DVD Drive Manufacture advertisement propaganda about Media Burning speeds faster than 16x speed. Also the Burning time difference between Burning at 16x speed verses 22x speed is only a couple of seconds. Always go for quality of the Burning results over the speed of the Burn.

Regards,
bjkg

Very good advice bjkg :clap:

Another recommendation for the Pioneer DVR-116(D).

Yes, the Pioneer 116 is great but the 22X LG GH22 is a very nice burner also.

bjkg, Thanks a lot, 116 and 216 was not clear at all ide/sata, or atleast i didnt notice it!

I’m aware of 16x + burning is unsupported shall we say, however a faster burn of a big batch of dvd’s will come in handy after some testing of quality.

Thanks for the replies all!

The absolute best PATA burner on the market right now is the Optiarc AD-7200A.

Nobody has mentioned the Samsung SH-S202. Yes, it has been superceded by the SH-S222, but it is still widely available here in the UK.

If you want a drive that writes CD-R discs well then there is really only the Optiarc AD-7200A & Samsung SH-S202. They are both excellent CD writers, but I would rate my SH-S202N as being slightly better than my AD-7200A. The 22x Samsung drives have a reputation for being atrocious CD writers, avoid.