Replacement dvd burner for Toshiba Satellite P35

Hey, everyone

My Matshita UJ820s apparently died tonight, it can read different media but can’t write to DVDs (The dreaded “Power Calibration Area Error” message appears). I see a lot of reviews for desktop models but very few for laptop models. Does anyone have any suggestions on a really good laptop drive?

Thanks

Here is one I own in both my laptops!

Optiarc from SONY/NEC
AD-5540A
Multifaceted, powerful - and only 12.7 mm in height.

We’d like to present two great new units with multiple read and write functions and the most compact form imaginable. They read DVD-ROMs with up to 8x speed and CD-ROMs with up to an amazing 24x speed.

The AD-5540A will impress you just as thoroughly when writing, due to their excellent values in all formats. It writes to DVD-Rs, DVD +Rs and DVD +RWs at 8x speed ­ or DVD-RWs at 6x speed. And it handles DVD-R DL/DVD +R9 format disks just as comfortably (4x) as CDs in -R/-RW formats (24x).Product Specification
Read Speed: DVD: 8x max. CD: 24x max.
Transfer Rate write: DVD-R: 8x max. DVD +R: 8x max. DVD-RW: 6x max. DVD +RW: 8x max. DVD-R DL: 4x max. DVD +R9: 4x max. CD-R: 24x max. CD-RW: 24x max.
Access time: DVD: 180 ms CD: 150 ms
Mechanism: Tray load mechanism
Interface: E-IDE / ATAPI
Burst transfer rate: PIO mode 4 / Ultra DMA 33
Media supported: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW, DVD +R, DVD +RW, DVD +R9, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW
Modes supported: DVD-Video, CD-ROM XA, CD-Audio, CD Extra, CD Text, CD-I Ready, CD-Bridge, PhotoCD, Video CD, Hybrid CD
Writing methods: DAO, SAO, TAO with zero gap, variable or fixed packet, multisession
Compatibility: MPC Level 3, MultiRead, PC2001
Weight: 0.18 kg
Dimensions: 128 mm x 12.7 mm x 129 mm
Special features: 12 cm and 8 cm CD and DVD media are supported, buffer under run error prevention

The UJ820 is an absolut obsolete dvd drive…

Ask Toshiba which drive would fit.

[QUOTE=chef;2010431]The UJ820 is an absolut obsolete dvd drive…

Ask Toshiba which drive would fit.[/QUOTE]

Well, I know that but it was working fine for all of these years and I had no money to replace it with…

I already know what drive fits but I would like to know what you guys use in your laptops before I spend my money on one…

@ THE C.
Thanks for that info. I researched the Optiarc line and was actually interested in either the 7530 or the 5560. Both are only $60 on ultradrives.com

check Liggy & Dee’s site for posible flashing tools/Firmwares.