Replacement Drives for Liteon 5xxx Recorders

vbimport

LITTLEBIGGUY, you’ll need a SATA-to-IDE converter to use that drive in the LVW-5005. (I don’t have any recommendations for a specific converter but it looks like other folks here have use them.)

[QUOTE=afecu;2708047]LITTLEBIGGUY, you’ll need a SATA-to-IDE converter to use that drive in the LVW-5005. (I don’t have any recommendations for a specific converter but it looks like other folks here have use them.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks afecu for your reply, yes I ordered a sata to ide converter

this one here, I hope it will be all I need

My Burner actually arrived today was amazed, cant do a thing until converter arrives

On the burner itself the reason I asked is that it was not exactly the same model number

It was the same model number except mine was iHAS124-04 OEM

and the one discussed here was iHAS124-04 DU, my unit does not have the DU at the end, but exactly the same to look at, so am hoping it will work

Would you possibly be able to help me out, am referring to your post about liteon iHAS124-04 DU. This model is SATA, (FROM EBUYER )
Got sata to ide adaptor off ebay.
Item number: 270713834651

Did you not need a cable for the sata power, you see I don’t know what I am talking about, I got the same liteon IHAS 124-04 like yours

But my sata ide adaptor is a bit different

With yours what cable did you have to use? Did you have a cable kicking around, or did your kit come with everything

Just that my new drive only has the sata cable going in to were it says sata data, the sata power I don’t have anything in

Just that I might order more stuff than I need, I have it hooked up the way they say but the new drive does not even power up

Anyway if you get this, I could use a suggestion Thanks :slight_smile:

[ul]
[li][/li][/ul]

Hi Harpken

Would you possibly be able to help me out, am referring to your post about liteon iHAS124-04 DU. This model is SATA, (FROM EBUYER )
Got sata to ide adaptor off ebay.
Item number: 270713834651

Did you not need a cable for the sata power, you see I don’t know what I am talking about, I got the same liteon IHAS 124-04 like yours

But my sata ide adaptor is a bit different

With yours what cable did you have to use? Did you have a cable kicking around, or did your kit come with everything

Just that my new drive only has the sata cable going in to were it says sata data, the sata power I don’t have anything in

Just that I might order more stuff than I need, I have it hooked up the way they say but the new drive does not even power up

Anyway if you get this, I could use a suggestion Thanks :slight_smile:

[ul]
[li][/li][/ul]

(Jumping in here…)
Is your Converter ‘card’ identical to the one in your Post #401 (top of this page, showing the EBAY offering)?

The multi-color-wire cable is the Power Connector - usually referred to as a “Molex to FDD Converter Cable”. This was common for more than a decade in the years of Floppy Drives. I suspect most every PC fix-it shop has dozens and dozens of these, collecting dust. The only question is IF they’d be willing to dig for them!

But in that EBAY picture, the ‘middle’ connector is the SATA Power connector. Your power-supply probably has at least one of those connectors available, so you may not need any ‘converter’ like that Molex-to-FDD cable - your computer may already have one.

[I][B](Come to think of it - most every PC’s power-supply PROBABLY has an FDD connector already! Look for that little white-headed connector with a small ‘tooth’ on the bottom side. Four small pin-wire holes.)[/B][/I]

Now, the “Molex to SATA” power cables are even more readily available thru local retailers, I’d think, since this is the ‘modern’ part (instead of the older Molex-to-FDD).

You should be able to use either one of those power connectors (NOT BOTH).

Here’s the Google-Image search for MOLEX TO FDD.

Here’s the Google-Image search for MOLEX TO SATA.

Here’s another pix of a standard set of connectors coming out of most every PC’s power-supply unit. Notice the bottom connector: FDD. This may be Black Plastic or White, but the same shape.

Thank You Christine, but this is being used in a Liteon 5005 dvd recorder, not a computer

Thanks Christine, yes its the one in post 401, the thing is, I have the sata cable that runs from there to the back of the dvd burner, it plugs into the spot marked sata data, however the larger connection on burner is empty, and it reads sata power

Be great if I could get you to view the back of burner connections, will find pic if you are willing :slight_smile:

Here it is, if I could ask you to look at the rear of this burner, if you follow the link it shows you all sides and can be viewed in zoom

The far left is empty, nothing but space, the middle one is the larger one that I am not using, marked sata power, the only connection that I am hooked up to is the very right, and that comes from the converter

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product…82E16827106289

Thanks if you could take a look

OH NO… A LiteOn DRIVE. NOT a computer!! Argh…

I completely missed that. Obviously. Well, nevertheless… if you can find one of those Molex-to-FDD or Molex-to-SATA connector cables, that should work. If you’re near a college, there’s probably a computer fix-it shop, and you might call and ask if they’ve got Molex-to-FDD or Molex-to-SATA Power connectors.

I assume your Drive Cabinet has a Molex connector? The big flat 4-prong in-line one?

(Sorry - I never went back one page earlier! And the above link into NewEgg CA didn’t open - maybe it’s a regional lock-off that won’t let USA viewers see a CA web page.)

Thanks Christine I am in Ontario about 100 miles north of Toronto

Thanks for the links you have been helpful, might just pop into the computer guy, and maybe he can dust something off for me as you suggested.:iagree::flower:

If you look stores that have New Parts, you’ll be looking for Molex to SATA Power cables.

If you find a small fix-it shop, they’ll probably have a Molex-to-FDD connector.

I assume that the old DVD drive had a “molex” power connector - that flat, 4-prong in-line connector, so that LiteOn Case has that, too.

I’ve never been too north in Ontario, only from Niagara and Ottawa, thru Toronto on the train, heading cross-country. When we’ve visited ‘east’, it’s been to Montreal and Quebec and some of that countryside, which is hillier and more forested than I expected. I see a million lakes thru Ontario, so it’s hilly enough for those distinctions.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2709928]If you look stores that have New Parts, you’ll be looking for Molex to SATA Power cables.

If you find a small fix-it shop, they’ll probably have a Molex-to-FDD connector.

I assume that the old DVD drive had a “molex” power connector - that flat, 4-prong in-line connector, so that LiteOn Case has that, too.

I’ve never been too north in Ontario, only from Niagara and Ottawa, thru Toronto on the train, heading cross-country. When we’ve visited ‘east’, it’s been to Montreal and Quebec and some of that countryside, which is hillier and more forested than I expected. I see a million lakes thru Ontario, so it’s hilly enough for those distinctions.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again Christine

I know what to ask now because of your help:flower:

I think Christine covered everything you need – I’ll just add a link to a listing at monoprice (don’t know if they are a reasonable source for shipping to Canada though). Here’s the link: 6inch SATA 15pin Female to Molex 4pin Male Power Adapter.

[QUOTE=afecu;2709985]I think Christine covered everything you need – I’ll just add a link to a listing at monoprice (don’t know if they are a reasonable source for shipping to Canada though). Here’s the link: 6inch SATA 15pin Female to Molex 4pin Male Power Adapter.[/QUOTE]

Excellent

Thankyou:iagree:

Monoprice is a great source for excellent products. I buy 6" electric cord extensions by the dozen because I’m tired of having my power-strips overloaded by fat-headed power-bricks. Now, I can have little pig-tail extensions holding power-brick heads!

And SATA cables. Get a handful at a few bucks, too.

They have a nice mechanical keyboard for $50, too, great for the price. Its LEDs are bright enough to serve as landing lights, by the way, or maybe homing lights for the next Martian landing force. If Orson had only known-!

They also have about the best price for Cat5-6 cables, even the rare Flat Style which make it so much easier to snake under doors or windows.

Monoprice is a favorite for me, too.

I wonder how this project went.

[QUOTE=BuffaloChuck;2711025]Monoprice is a favorite for me, too.

I wonder how this project went.[/QUOTE]

I had the wrong sata to ide adaptor , but now have the correct one on the way, and I also needed a
[B]15+7 Pin Male to Female SATA HDD Power Extension Cable[/B]

So as soon as those both arrive I will be in business. Am only out 7 bucks including shipping for the wrong adaptor, so no worries, but am confident now it will work when I get it

Because you asked :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=LITTLEBIGGUY;2711036]I had the wrong sata to ide adaptor , but now have the correct one on the way, and I also needed a
[B]15+7 Pin Male to Female SATA HDD Power Extension Cable[/B]

So as soon as those both arrive I will be in business. Am only out 7 bucks including shipping for the wrong adaptor, so no worries, but am confident now it will work when I get it

Because you asked :)[/QUOTE]

Which adapter did you get, and did it work? I got one like the one in the link of your reply #401 to try to use IDE DVDRW drive in a sata only system, but it didn’t work for me either. I’d like to get one that does work and would like to know what you got as well as whether it worked.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2715249]Which adapter did you get, and did it work? I got one like the one in the link of your reply #401 to try to use IDE DVDRW drive in a sata only system, but it didn’t work for me either. I’d like to get one that does work and would like to know what you got as well as whether it worked.[/QUOTE]

Hi bevills

My setup was a liteon 5005 dvd recorder setup for IDE

I tried to put in the liteon replacement DVD Drive( SATA) into the IDE Liteon 5005

This is the right adaptor below, it powered up, but the Liteon Drive was not the exact model so I am guessing that is why it did not work for me?

The number of the drive was the same as people that had success, but it did not have D after it, I asked before I ordered the 19 buck drive, but nobody answered me, so I gambled on it and lost

Apparently it had to have the letter D after it, and this just was not available on ebay or anywhere I searched

But this adaptor did plug into player and was able to power up, but nothing more

It only would open and closed by hitting the eject or power button on player, would not do anything with liteon controls, would not attempt to load or anything

I was able to have it working with several CD drives from computers, but just would not recognize the liteon drive I purchased, would not even attempt to read, even to offer a error, just would not do anything

The letter D after the number model I believe was the reason, I could not get the model number that included D afterwards, the rest of the numbers were the same but no model D

Here is the correct adaptor, the same one that the fellow that had the success used with his Model number that had D on end

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221128174226?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I gave up at this point, have moved on :slight_smile:

Hello,

I have been following this thread with interest for a while as I have 3 Liteon LVW-500x recorders that have needed new drives.

I have tried an old BenQ DW1610-P99 drive with firmware updated to G8T9 in a LVW-5006, (I could not update it to the later B8V9 firmware as it said it was incompatible with the drive). Initial results were promising, unlike most replacement drives, it would record Audio CD, VCD and SVCD onto CD-Rs. DVD-RWs recorded and erased with no problem and DVD+Rs recorded and finalized ok. Oddly, it simply would not record to DVD+RWs at all. DVD-Rs would appear to record but when the stop button was pressed, the machine wouldn’t revert to the disc menu and the recorded disc was useless.

The DW1610-P99 is a full length drive, so would be difficult to actually fit inside an LVW-500x, but it is noteworthy that it supports VCD and SVCD recording.

I have also tried a Sony DRU-190A with updated 1.65 firmware. It does not cure Write fails around 25 seconds into the recordings on DVD-R and DVD-RW discs.

Has anyone had any more success using a SATA drive with a SATA to IDE Adaptor card?

Sony DRU-190A is in the list of drives that worked in the first post of this thread, and I’ve read posts by those who had success with it for DVD recording but not VCD or SVCD. I’ve successfully used LiteOn SHM-165P6S and Sony DRU-120A with same results reported for the Sony DRU-190A.

The 165P6S I used gave best results with a wider range of media using the next to latest firmware which I tested on a PC before installing it in a 5005 recorder. You might try different firmwares on the Sony DRU-190A if you still have it.