Replacement Drives for Liteon 5xxx Recorders

vbimport

I have a LVW-5045GDL+, can anyone offer advise on the best drive to use, and how to fit it flush inside the case.

[QUOTE=MSN_BlackRain;2692083]I have a LVW-5045GDL+, can anyone offer advise on the best drive to use, and how to fit it flush inside the case.[/QUOTE]

HI
There are posts on this site for your player, found this one,
Re: Replacement drive for LVW 5045

try a Liteon SHW-160P6S, it should work as the 5045 is much like a 5005 except for the HD. At least you can test it before installing into the case. Look up posts on replacing the drive in a 5005.
but this drive is no more, if your player is the same inside it should be quite easy,
can you post some pic of inside your recorder.

Hi, and thanks for your quick reply.

I think the inside of my machine differs from what I’ve seen on these forums. My original drive is encased in black plastic with a thin metal shrouding on the top and bottom, which all mounts onto four little posts, which rise up from the base on the machine.

The original drive looks as though it is specially made for the machine, as it all fits in neatly. However, the drives recommended for replacement are ones for PC’s, which all seem to come in one standard size. This is where I need some guidence, as I’m not sure of the best way to fit the replacement drive into the machine. Some of the pictures I have seen on these forums show some of the machines insides with plastic mounts on the base of the machines. Unfortunately, my machine doesn’t have these, just four small metal posts rising up from the base of the machine which the original drive is mounted and screwed to.

Any ideas anyone. Many thanks.

HI
my drive was the same as you say encased in black plastic with thin metal shrouding,
with plastic feet, these feet are to get the right height for the draw to open, you have
5045 that has metal feet to get the right height.
you cannot get a replacement drive so have to use a drive for pc, you need to connent drive to pc first to set region code, & set jumper to master.
you then need to try & fit the pc drive at the right & position in your recorder.
you might have to remove the feet.to get the right height, you may also like mine,
cut some plastic parts from inside, to get the new drive up close, i also removed the bezel off the pc drive.

liteon iHAS124-04 DU SATA

A note for everyone who has a problem with the tray not opening (that’s everyone I think!).

The problem is that the rubber belt that drives the tray has aged and is slipping. If you’re in the US you can get a replacement belt from MCM Electronics – it’s part # 42-025 and is 18.0mm ID x 1.0mm H (and under a buck in price!). And this weekend only they are having a sale on shipping, just $4 (usually it starts at $9.95).

This belt also fits all of the LiteOn drives with belt-driven trays up to about the 20x models (though note that some 16x OEM drives are actually de-rated 24x’s and take a longer belt).

It is possible to replace the belt with a gear if you have a donor drive like the SOHW-1633S or LDW-411S. I’ll post details later on…

[QUOTE=HARPKEN;2692058]I Have just fitted a new drive in my 5005,
model liteon iHAS124-04 DU. This model is SATA, (FROM EBUYER )
Got sata to ide adaptor off ebay.
Item number: 270713834651
Bit of cutting on inside front edge, sits perfect on white lugs with silicone
to hold in place. and replace bezel off 5005
All working well, record,ff,skip,
HOPE THIS WILL HELP
THANKS[/QUOTE]

I just tried one I got at Microcenter in a 5045b w a ide-sata adaptor & it was flukey so pulled it & put in a AD7190A. It seems to work correctly now, although I’m expecting it to be only plus R.

Have you tried recording -R disks w the IHAS124? Maybe I’ll put it in a 5005 I need to replace the power board on, if not I’ve got enough PC’s to use it in

My main problem is figuring out what to do to upgrade a to a 500 gb in a 5045.

[QUOTE=SERN;2695129]
My main problem is figuring out what to do to upgrade a to a 500 gb in a 5045.[/QUOTE]

SERN, you can download modified firmware for the 5045 from here which will support larger hard drives. I’m using that on my 5045 with no problems (though I think I only have a 160gb drive installed now).

Thanks afecu, I checked that out. I guess That takes care of the firmware I’ll need for the machine but I’m still not quite sure as to the partitioning and formatting of the disk. I saw on one thread where they seemed to partition on a pc normally & then do the formatting some other way. It gets confusing because there’s references to threads or forums that no longer exist.

[QUOTE=MSN_BlackRain;2692098]Hi, and thanks for your quick reply.

I think the inside of my machine differs from what I’ve seen on these forums. My original drive is encased in black plastic with a thin metal shrouding on the top and bottom, which all mounts onto four little posts, which rise up from the base on the machine.The original drive looks as though it is specially made for the machine, as it all fits in neatly. However, the drives recommended for replacement are ones for PC’s, which all seem to come in one standard size. This is where I need some guidence, as I’m not sure of the best way to fit the replacement drive into the machine.

[/QUOTE]
While I think you’re right in the 5045GDL being different than earlier model 5045’s, The description you give seems like many typical liteons including my 5045b. On some machines, 5005’s I think, I was able to use the “metal shrouding” to hold it in. With my 5045b I can’t do that because of the way it’s stamped and the geometry difference between the original & the replacement. People have used varying methods to attach new drives. At the moment I’ve got it wedged into where I stretched out some sort of guides on the front to hold the original staight. Remember you’ll need to remove face plates & bezels & as HARPKEN mentioned it’s a lot easier if you don’t put the liteon’s bezel back on.

[QUOTE=MSN_BlackRain;2692098]
Some of the pictures I have seen on these forums show some of the machines insides with plastic mounts on the base of the machines. Unfortunately, my machine doesn’t have these, just four small metal posts rising up from the base of the machine which the original drive is mounted and screwed to.

Any ideas anyone. Many thanks.[/QUOTE]

ideas? high temp Epoxy, drilling using clamps or wire &eye bolts, you could even put in a little turnbuckle to adjust tension.
As far as plastic mounts, That was probably 5005’s they’re easier because the metal piece can hold a pc drive in place nicely. 5007’s don’t even have the posts, the body is just stamped a little higher.

Have been using 5005 for many years, DVD drive died recently. Read this post in its entirety…went to eBay and bought Sony DRU-120C brand new for only $16.

Cut a big hole in the front of my 5005 and mounted the drive. I didn’t want to pull the door off or anything…besides, now I can mount any drive in the future there without any problems. I’m in to functionality…not prettiness…

Everything works fantastic…so to all of you who set the path for use noobs to follow…my thanks.

http://webpages.charter.net/mymobilepro/liteon.jpg

Rich

So with my recent success, I thought I’d try another DVD recorder. I popped in a Sony AD-5170A to see if it would work. It does, kind of…I mean every function works, but when I go to hit record, it takes about 3 seconds for the drive to spin up to speed before I see the recording timer start. But I am able to record, finalize, everything just fine…just a lag before the recording starts.

I searched here and didn’t find any info on this drive, so I guess my next step is to see if it can be flashed with another drives firmware…anyone have any ideas what would be the best firmware to attempt to flash?

You may want to look here

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7170A/

nice job on the 5005.

RichHawley, I had the same spinup-delay experience with a Sony DRU-V204A (=AD-7200A) in an LVW-5007. I used it anyway for quite a while but eventually replaced it with an older LiteOn DVD drive I’d found.

Thanks for the info all…will give the flashing a try and see what happens.

[QUOTE=afecu;2692579]A note for everyone who has a problem with the tray not opening (that’s everyone I think!).

The problem is that the rubber belt that drives the tray has aged and is slipping. If you’re in the US you can get a replacement belt from MCM Electronics – it’s part # 42-025 and is 18.0mm ID x 1.0mm H (and under a buck in price!). And this weekend only they are having a sale on shipping, just $4 (usually it starts at $9.95).

This belt also fits all of the LiteOn drives with belt-driven trays up to about the 20x models (though note that some 16x OEM drives are actually de-rated 24x’s and take a longer belt).

It is possible to replace the belt with a gear if you have a donor drive like the SOHW-1633S or LDW-411S. I’ll post details later on…[/QUOTE]

I have recently replaced the belt on a DDW-813S with a gear and motor from a SOHW-1693 but you need to reverse the polarity on the motor connections otherwise when instructions are sent to unload the disk tray the opposite happens. Just cut the leads to the motor and reconnect, red to black and black to red.

[QUOTE=Des13;2703051]I have recently replaced the belt on a DDW-813S with a gear and motor from a SOHW-1693 but you need to reverse the polarity on the motor connections otherwise when instructions are sent to unload the disk tray the opposite happens. Just cut the leads to the motor and reconnect, red to black and black to red.[/QUOTE]
Apologies Afecu did not mean to hijack your offer to help all.

[QUOTE=Des13;2703051]I have recently replaced the belt on a DDW-813S with a gear and motor from a SOHW-1693 but you need to reverse the polarity on the motor connections otherwise when instructions are sent to unload the disk tray the opposite happens. Just cut the leads to the motor and reconnect, red to black and black to red.[/QUOTE]
You can also unplug the motor connection and then use a tiny screwdriver to ease the pins out of the connector block, then reverse them. Same effect but a little neater.

I just bought this for my LVW 5005, hope I didn`t goof up, it was only 14.99

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

thanks for any input

[QUOTE=HARPKEN;2692058]I Have just fitted a new drive in my 5005,
model liteon iHAS124-04 DU. This model is SATA, (FROM EBUYER )
Got sata to ide adaptor off ebay.
Item number: 270713834651
Bit of cutting on inside front edge, sits perfect on white lugs with silicone
to hold in place. and replace bezel off 5005
All working well, record,ff,skip,
HOPE THIS WILL HELP
THANKS[/QUOTE]

Hey

Any chance you could look at my post # 398 to see if you think that’s any good, I just ordered it

Thanks for any help