Replacement Drives for Liteon 5xxx Recorders

vbimport

afecu, thanks for the info. Two or three years ago I bought a BenQ DW-1620 rebadge and flashed it to latest BenQ firmware anticipating I’d eventually need a drive replacement for the LteOn recorder. I read on another forum that this BenQ drive is a fully functional replacement drive including VCD although I don’t do VCD recording. It’ll probably be next week before I have time to do a drive replacement, but I’ll post results when it’s done.

Just to let any interested know out of curiosity I unplugged the 5005 for 24 hours, and it works after powering it on again. Quick solution for now, but I suspect the DVD drive may be near the end of its life and will soon need replacement for which I am ready with the BenQ DW-1620 drive.

The 5005 problems in my post #358 have recurred, and the problems persist even after replacement DVD burner is installed. This indicates there is some other failure in the 5005 unit and not the DVD drive. Has anyone else experienced these types of 5005 failures? Does anybody know a possible fix, or is this unit now totally useless?

bevills1, most of my experience is with the 5007, and a couple of times when that unit went weird I was able to fix it by reflashing the firmware. Is your 5005 working enough to try that?

My other thought would be to check the main board and the power supply for bad capacitors (capacitors which have leaked or domed), though I haven’t heard of that being a big problem with the Liteons.

I see there’s a 5006 system board on eBay, if you want to go that route. Or I may be able to help you out with a 5005 or 5006 – PM me if you’re interested.

Thanks for the info, and I’d have replied sooner if not for my PC hard drive dying, requiring drive replacement to get up and running. It appears my 5005 isn’t working enough to flash firmware since I can’t access setup, guide or other menus. I tried inserting CD with firmware anyway, but it now doesn’t even display load and then no disk unless I press and hold the play button during power on after which it displays load and then file when the CD with firmware is in the drive. This unit may be done for unless you or someone else has any other suggestions on flashing the firmware that I haven’t tried.

There doesn’t appear to be any leaking capacitors that I can tell. I found the 5005 recorder at Amazon for $129 used and on eBay from $149 and up. I think the last 5005 I bought new was only $89, and I saw a Magnovox DVD recorder at Walmoart.com for $98, and I may decide to get a new recorder of another brand and maybe use this bad unit for parts since I still have 1 other working 5005 with Sony DRU-120C replacement burner. Do you know anything about other brands or have any recommendations other than LiteOn brand?

Hi bevills1,

I’ve seen some recommendations for Panasonic units (I think in this thread), and I also think I recall hearing that they have capacitor problems in the power supply.

Do you need the macrovision-free feature that the patched LiteOn firmware provides? I haven’t heard of other makes that can do this, other than with a “stabilizer” in the signal path.

I have seen much cheaper 5005’s on eBay (with bad DVD drives), and as I mentioned there’s a 5006 system board up now for $39.95 (I’m pretty sure it’ll work in a 5005 chassis). Or, if you don’t need the macrovision-free code, a 5005XS is a nice unit (there once was mv-free patched firmware but I have not been able to locate it). If you do decide to part out your 5005, I’d be interested in the drive mounts and the bezel.

I hope this helps!

The 5005 is the only LiteOn for which I have the macrovision free firmware, and I’d probably have trouble finding same for a 5006 or other model. I may just check eBay periodically for a 5005 at more reasonable prices, and I’ll let you know if I decide to part out the failed unit.

(I’ve got the 5006 files if you need them.)

Thanks for that info, and I’ll be on look out for a 5006 too. BTW seems like I remember posts in some other thread that the 5001 can be flashed to a 5005 and the 5002 can be flashed to a 5006 or something like that. Do you know if that’s true and if that takes modified firmware to achieve if it is true?

Does the ILO DVDR04 use same replacement burners and have macrovision free firmware as LiteOn LVW-5005, and is the modified firmware for the ILO available if there is macrovision free firmware for it? I found 1 of these ILO recorders for considerably less than the 5005 with a 14 day return policy on eBay and am considering it if it’s similar enough to the LiteOn recorders.

I recall seeing posting about cross-flashing between models and never had occasion to try it, and I don’t know what’s involved – at least renaming the firmware file and probably more. It would take some research…

As for the DVDR04, it’s identical to the LiteOn LVW-5005[B]X[/B] and the firmware can be flashed between them. The ILO firmware can be made macrovision-free, the 5005X firmware cannot. All the information you probably need is here: http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/

The link in reply #270 has a link to Archive of LiteOn Firmware Files that tries to go to a pumapeople site which is blocked by Avast anti-virus. Do you know where the ILO firmware for the DVDR04 might be available?

Edit: I found 4 firmwares including 2 modified for 3 hour mode and macrovision free capability for the ILO at http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/r04old.htm. I’d guess the 1098 firmwares there are the ones needed for 3 hour mode and macrovision free. Is this correct?

[QUOTE=bevills1;2672536]The link in reply #270 has a link to Archive of LiteOn Firmware Files that tries to go to a pumapeople site which is blocked by Avast anti-virus. Do you know where the ILO firmware for the DVDR04 might be available?

Edit: I found 4 firmwares including 2 modified for 3 hour mode and macrovision free capability for the ILO at http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/r04old.htm. I’d guess the 1098 firmwares there are the ones needed for 3 hour mode and macrovision free. Is this correct?[/QUOTE]
beveills1, it looks like the latest version is at http://www.ss3f.com/ilo/r04.htm. The 1098 files there are the ones you want.

The archive at pumapeople no longer exists, unfortunately. (I don’t know why avast is blocking it but maybe I’d better not look…). It had the 1098 patched firmware for the 5005xs that I’ve been seeking. :frowning:

It appears you’re right about that’s the latest version as it has ES5 extension while the others have ES4 extension. I downloaded all the 1098 versions there just in case latest version doesn’t work and in case those files become unavailable. I’m leaning towards a 5006 I found since it’s newer and likely easier to find parts but may try for the ILO if I don’t get the 5006.

Do you know if the 5005 remote will work on the 5006? Google searches I did seem to indicate they use the same remote, and I thought you may know.

Avast gives alert to the Archive of LiteOn Firmware Files only and not to 5005x files or any other links on that page. You should be safe to download it. Do you mean the first ILO to 5005x file there? There’s also a hacked version of the file on that page, but I thought the 5005x firmware was unhackable.

If that firmware would make the 5005x marcrovision free, this means I might consider the 5005x if I find one, and I downloaded that 5005x file just in case I do find one, i.e. if it results in macrovision free. Let me know if you have success with it or if you find any 5005x for sale.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2672683]Do you know if the 5005 remote will work on the 5006? Google searches I did seem to indicate they use the same remote, and I thought you may know.

Avast gives alert to the Archive of LiteOn Firmware Files only and not to 5005x files or any other links on that page. You should be safe to download it. Do you mean the first ILO to 5005x file there? There’s also a hacked version of the file on that page, but I thought the 5005x firmware was unhackable.[/QUOTE]
Yes, the 5005 and 5006 use the same remote (as do the 5001, 5005xs, and, it seems the 5014). (Note that the 5005x is completely different from the 5005xs!)

The 5005x firmware can’t be hacked, but the 5005x can be cross-flashed to an ILO DVDR04 – I think I posted the page with that a couple of messages ago.

And yes, the other files look like they are hosted at the same site. Only the one link goes off the pumapeople.

I have pacthed my lvw-5005x together, the door wouldn’t open, turns out it was a matter of por design, as the tray motor aged it became less powerfull and was not able to completely close the tray, causing the POST to fail. remving the drawer door fixed the problem. BTW I tried using a sata drive with an ide to state converter, the machine recognized the difference between a recordable and nonrecordable disc, but wouldnt read or write to it. What I need is an updated list of IDE replacements before they totaly dissappear, thanks

There probably is no updated list of IDE replacements compiled, but the Liteon iHAP422 works according to reply #353 of this thread. It’s available from some sources at http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=4&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=14&gs_id=7&xhr=t&q=lite+on+ihap422&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Liteon+iHAP422&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42768644,d.eWU&fp=ec0991bddc456b56&biw=1024&bih=635. Also I suspect newer LiteOn IDE drives may work, but the only way to know is test to see as diyguy did in reply #353.

naic98, exactly what do you mean when you say “causing the POST to fail,” and what problems does causing the POST to fail present?

Found some Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A drives on eBay if anybody needs one. This is the last Sony drive that’s a LiteOn clone and has full functionality including fast forward with the exception of video CD. Interestingly I found these while searching for “optiarc ad-7200s for sale ebay” to get for my PC. Also found some AD-7200a drives on eBay, and there’s a Memorex MRX-530L which is a LiteOn clone that was used by some is this thread as a successful replacement at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Memorex-20x-DVD-RW-DL-Burner-IDE-Drive-w-Light-Scribe-/221204760594?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D227%26meid%3D6993369173847369301%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1121%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D121065227147%26. Just thought I’d share this info I found by mere luck and hope some may find it useful.

I Have just fitted a new drive in my 5005,
model liteon iHAS124-04 DU. This model is SATA, (FROM EBUYER )
Got sata to ide adaptor off ebay.
Item number: 270713834651
Bit of cutting on inside front edge, sits perfect on white lugs with silicone
to hold in place. and replace bezel off 5005
All working well, record,ff,skip,
HOPE THIS WILL HELP
THANKS