Replacement Drives for Liteon 5xxx Recorders

vbimport

Don’t know if anybody has tried the LiteOn IHAP122-19, but you might try http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=sony+dru-190a+-+uk&aq=f&oq=&aqi= for some UK sellers of the Sony DRU-190A which has been reported to be a good replacement and is on the list in first post of thread.

I’ve been doing some experiments and have some interesting information on replacement drives (though sorry, they are obsolete drives).

First, I got an LDW-411S. It didn’t work on VCD and other stuff, but I was able to flash it to become a DDW-411S, which is one of the original drives for these recorders. I used firmware F2SC, the latest I could find easily, and I had to reverse the leads in the connector to the tray open/close motor, but once I did that the drive worked perfectly in the 5005XS (=5005). All functions that I’ve tested, including VCD, now work perfectly, except for the drive LED (I don’t know if the DDW-411S even had one). I did modify the firmware media table to include some 16x media before I flashed it.

The drive equivalences appear to be:
DDW-411S = LDW-411S
DDW-451S = LDW-451S (the DDW-451S board says LDW-451S)
The DDW-813S is probably an SOHW-1633S, but I’m not sure yet
The DDW-806S board is marked “HH DVDRW 5S” and I suspect it is similar to the SHM-165P6S and such drives but I’m not sure.

Second - I have a DDW-806S drive which I removed from the 5005XS because it was giving burns that were unreadable in parts. I had the idea to reset the “learnt media” table (also known as the OPC, “optimum power calibration” table). Lo and behold, I am now getting quite good burns, and I’m going to try putting the drive back in the recorder.

The procedure to reset the table is to hook up the drive to a computer and use the utility settings_utility which is available in the Liteon section at http://club.myce.com/f44/settings-utility-liteon-dvd-writers-v1-2-1-a-241940/. Some drives instead need the EEPROM utility at http://club.myce.com/f44/eeprom-utility-plds-liteon-sony-cd-dvd-writers-v5-0-1-new-112103/. If you’ve got a drive that produces bad burns, give it a try.

Finally, would anyone be interested in a reflashed drive if I end up with any extras?

Ok, I was able to try most of the stuff from my previous post (with mixed results).

LDW-411S -> DDW-411S works fine; you do have to swap the tray motor leads. (I added some media table entries for 16x media in the process and am getting decent burns of Verbatim 16x’s.)

I could not try LDW-451S -> DDW-451S for lack of a working drive, but I found another post that says it works (also with swapping the tray motor leads).

I tried SOHW-1633S -> LDW-813S and it’s not worth doing. It was able to start writing a VCD, which didn’t work with the drive’s native firmware, but then quit with a WRITE FAIL. And the write quality was not as good as with the native firmware. Maybe it would help if you rewrote the EEPROM from an LDW-813S image, but I don’t have one…

I tried SHM-165P6S -> LDW-806S and it didn’t work. When I put a DVD+R in, the recorder thought it was preparing the disc, but nothing got written. Then it said INVALID DISC. So I flashed it back. I’m not sure if there is an equivalent drive to the 806S.

And as for my LDW-806S, it turns out it’s still writing really bad burns… unless you read them on the same drive. :frowning: So that drive goes back in the “retired” pile…

[QUOTE=sparks-igc;2447259]Anyone know if the Liteon IHAP122-19 drive will work in the LVW-5005?

Most of the listed working drives are now difficult to get hold of.[/QUOTE]

On the Dutch selling site “marktplaats.nl” I purchased last saturday a as good as new Sony DRU-710A , still in the original package and with all the original accessories.
I picked it up at seller’s address and was planning to mount it in my LVW-5027HC, but first I removed a LITEON LDW-851S from an old PC and much to my amazement it works flawlessy in my LITEON LVW-5027HC

Mounting, preparing, writing, finalization, playing, FF, etc:
DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, CD-R (VCD/SVCD), CD-RW, all tested and 100% OK. Erasing the RWs also OK.
I don’t hae DVD-RW so I could not test those.

So now my two day old Sony DRU-710A (tested OK in this forum earlier) is obsolete…

Regards,

RBR
Amsterdam (NL)

rawbear, that’s nice information. I’ll have to see if I can get a working LDW-851S myself.

Do you know the firmware level in the drive? It should be something like GS0P and should show as part of the “serial” number string in setup.

Hi Afecu,

You wrote:
" Do you know the firmware level in the drive? It should be something like GS0P and should show as part of the “serial” number string in setup"

Well, it says: SN: 0143-0240-0028-GS0C (2S3O-O1OD)

Hope this is useful information for you

Regards,

rawbear

I wrote:

" So now my two day old Sony DRU-710A (tested OK in this forum earlier) is obsolete"

I think the word “obsolete” was not correct. I meant to say that I don’t need that drive.
(Sorry, English is not my native tongue…)

rawbear

Feb 2010:

I had a garage sale LVW-5005 ($25) finally die on me after a couple weeks. It would only write to Imation CD-RW’s in VCD format, and wouldn’t read DVD +/- R or RW’s at all. But finally, it would no longer write to the CD-RW’s or R’s at all.

So off to the military base exchange here on Okinawa. The only IDE DVD writer was a I/O Magic IDVD22DLS.

So far it “FAILS” to write to Maxell & Imagine DVD-R’s, and Memorex CD-R’s.

BUT, my Pengo brand DVD+RW 4.7GB discs record wonderfully and reliably!!! (The Pengo brand is what is available at the base exchange).

So, I’m a happy camper again! Not a bad repair for $40!!

Cheers,
Doc

Doc,

Good to hear of your success!

(I wonder what the IDVD22DLS actually is, since I/O Magic doesn’t make their own drives…).

You’re right… it’s a branded drive. It’s a Lite-On IHAP422 drive… I had to blow up my 8MP picture to read the label on the drive that I took when putting it in.

Here’s the pictorial:

Just an FYI - I tested a Benq DW-1640, with pretty much the same results as the DW-1655: all media work except DVD-R and DVD+RW. In addition, HQ mode did work with +R media (it didn’t work on the -1655); I didn’t test it on other media.

[QUOTE=docrings;2499737]You’re right… it’s a branded drive. It’s a Lite-On IHAP422 drive… I had to blow up my 8MP picture to read the label on the drive that I took when putting it in.

Here’s the pictorial:
http://mattisageek.blogspot.com/2010/03/lvw-5005-dvd-recorder-repair.html[/QUOTE]

Hey Matt, just wanted to say thank you for the article! It helped point me in the right direction & is really the only relatively recent bit of information I could find on seeking a replacement drive for my Liteon LVW-5005A.

It’s probably like5 years old and it would still record okay but the drive would no longer eject, whether with the remote or manually, so I basically had it jerry-rigged with the case off & top open in order to be able to change disks.

So anyway I have finally gotten around to trying to repair it & just wanted to share my experiences. I had figured a Liteon brand replacement drive would probably stand the best chance of success so I went with the iHAP422 you had mentioned in your article:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106328

I am happy to report that everything seems to be working well w/ no issues. I tested all the functionality I normally use, such as disk preparation, recording, playback, erasing titles or the entire disk, editing names, all fast forward and rewind speeds… no problems at all. The only disks I have tried writing to are Memorex 4x DVD+RW.

The only issue I have run across is that if I leave a disk in the unit after shutting it down the drive still continues to spin for about 10-15 minutes and then stops (presumably some auto-sleep feature). Not a major issue though.

All that’s left to do now is finish mounting & securing it. Going to have make some small modifications to some of the plastic parts (a sharp boxcutter should work) to get it to sit right with the front panel as well as attach the drive tray bezel.

P.S. - if you search for it there is a modified firmware for this unit that unlocks a 3-hour recording mode

The DVDRHD04 is dead - at least in terms of updated firmware and continued support from LiteOn (manufacturer). The manufacturer website (www.ilohelp.com) for the ilo recorders is dead and opens to a domain squatter landing page now which indicates the death of all support and upgrades for the ilo recorders. The firmware downloads from guitar man are several years old as well and the ilo firmware page is a ghost town. The burner in these units were complete lemons, hence this long thread, but the rest of the unit for the price and functionality was worth hacking and modding and keeping alive. Too bad to see this device completely dead, gone and buried. It was doomed from the start I suppose - an abomination created from a twisted marriage between WalMart and Liteon and was from the beginning a pathetic creation.

I’ve just received my new Liteon iHAP422 drive (brand new). Got it from Amazon for $25 and free shipping! I really hope this works.

Can someone let me know if I have to install this first in another computer and set the Country Code and/or anything else before I plug it into the LiteOn 5005 ??

I’ve not done any firmware updates since I got it (5005A)new several years back. And, I don’t really care about the 3 hr record mode … I just want it to work burning DVD’s. My primary use is iEEE 1394 from edited .AVI camcorder to high quality DVD

Would really appreciate some help on this.

Thanks

Disregard above.

Set to region code 1 on another computer,

Plugged it in to the 5005 and Wal-Lah! PERFECT works like new again.

As it use it for recorder only, I don’t know (or care) about playback (didn’t test that)

Amazing - fixed for $25 from an Amazon part/free shipping - less than 10 minutes and back in business again.

OH the frustration of the “beat to work” method over the last few months now history!

Happy Camper!

Just happened to see a new Memorex MRX-530LE for $34.50 with free shipping at http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=32023223&utm_source=geekmail&utm_medium=daily_html&utm_content=Product&utm_campaign=NV57H43U_02feb12 which is the external version of the Memorex MRX-530L that’s reported earlier in this thread to be a good replacement for the LiteOn 5xxx recorders. It’d probably be a little more work to remove it from the external enclosure, but it should work. This is the first [B]new[/B] drive from this model era I’ve seen in a while, and I hope someone might find it useful as a replacement drive.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2621203]Just happened to see a new Memorex MRX-530LE for $34.50 with free shipping at http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=32023223&utm_source=geekmail&utm_medium=daily_html&utm_content=Product&utm_campaign=NV57H43U_02feb12 which is the external version of the Memorex MRX-530L that’s reported earlier in this thread to be a good replacement for the LiteOn 5xxx recorders. It’d probably be a little more work to remove it from the external enclosure, but it should work. This is the first [B]new[/B] drive from this model era I’ve seen in a while, and I hope someone might find it useful as a replacement drive.[/QUOTE]

Did you have any luck with this drive? Did all functions work?

I’ve not tried the drive myself, but according to http://club.myce.com/f89/replacement-drives-liteon-5xxx-recorders-207698/index12.html#post2210742 and other posts in this thread the Memorex MRX-530L works well as a replacement drive. Just search this thread for “Memorex MRX-530L” to find others’ posts about the drive.

Today I experienced a problem with my lvw-5005 flashing “Load” and sticks there when the unit is powered on whether a DVD is in the drive or not. I can eject the DVD if it’s done within about the first 10 seconds, but unit fails to respond after that time. I must then unplug and repower the unit to eject the DVD. Once the DVD is ejected the unit display goes blank and doesn’t respond to “Setup,” “Guide” or other remote buttons.

This behavior seems to me to indicate a failure of the recorder to communicate with the original DVD drive in the recorder which might be fixed by a DVD drive replacement. Has anybody else experienced these issues and know of any other possible cause or fix? If not, do you think DVD drive replacement will fix the problems?

Hi Bevills1,

Given how unreliable the original drives are at this point, I’d certainly just try plugging in another DVD drive and see what happens. Probably even any DVD drive at all would suffice for a basic check.

A common failure when the DVD drive goes kaput is that the recorder hangs at HELLO; I could imagine what you’re seeing as a next step after the initial communication with the drive. Though the problems I’ve seen personally are mostly drives that burn badly or abort or hang during the burn, or can’t eject.

If the drive does need replacement, what I like currently (among older drives that aren’t too hard to find on eBay) is the SOHW-1633S, but I believe it won’t do VCD’s if that’s something you care about.