Replacement Drives for Liteon 5xxx Recorders

vbimport

According to the second hit at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=liteon+ddw813s+-+dimensions&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq= it’s 316mm in depth/length, and all of the suggested replacement drives are about double that. Your only option may be to find a DDW813S at eBay or else where, and that may be difficult to find.

Edit: According to http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=14282, http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=12496 and http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=13568 the LiteOn SOHW1693S, SOHW1653S and SOHW1673S are within that length and should work if you can find them.

@bevills1

I might just go for the external option with the Benq as it’s costing me lots of time and lots of $$$ . It won’t be as estetically pleasing to the eye but as long as it works . I’ve already upgraded the Benq firmware to B7W9RPC1 but I’ll post back as I haven’t actually checked to see if all the features work .

Sammy

PS Looks like the Lite-On DH-20A3P and I presume the Lite-On DH-20A1P might fit as well .

http://www.fixya.com/support/t210593-lite_lvw_5005_ddw_813s

The DH20A1P is too long at 6.75" according to http://salestores.com/liteondh.html, but you’re right that the 20A3P and 20A4P should fit. The 20A3P would be the better choice since it may be cross flashed to Sony DRU-190A that has normal fast forward whereas the LiteOn models freeze on fast forward. You might also try finding the Sony DRU-190A and avoid need to cross flash, or just use 1 of the LiteOns as is if fast forward is unimportant.

Hi folks,

I’ve just acquired an LVW-5005XS, which is essentially a 5005 in the slim 5007 case, and I’ve tried out a bunch of DVD drives I have on hand. I didn’t bother to try DVD-R, and I don’t have any DVD-RW’s, but I did test with CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW. I only tried a few minutes of each, so don’t take these tests as definitive, but they do seem to agree with other information posted here.

(The drive that came in the 5005XS is a DDW-806S, and after a cleaning it seems to be working fine. It also seems to know about 16x media in its media table (I dumped the drive firmware).)

Here are the drives I tried. Unfortunately they are all discontinued, but you may be able to find some of them with some sleuthing.

[B]Benq DW1655:[/B] Firmware BCIB. The DW1650 is the non-LightScribe version of this drive and should work the same.

VCD and Audio CD [U]works[/U]. Audio CD-RW works; CD-RW erase says FAIL, but if you wait a little bit, the drive will in fact finish the erase, and another erase goes immediately to completion.

DVD+R works.
DVD+RW does [U]not[/U] work.

[B]Liteon SOHW-1693S:[/B] Firmware KS0B. This drive was problematic in my LVW-5007 but has a lot of recommendations for the 5005.

Audio CD and Audio CD-RW [U]works[/U]. VCD does [U]not[/U] work.

DVD+R and DVD+RW [U]works[/U].

[B]Sony DW-G120A:[/B] Firmware MYS6. This drive was originally a Liteon SHW-160P6S.

Audio CD [U]works[/U] but Audio CD-RW does [U]not[/U] work. VCD does [U]not[/U] work.

DVD+R and DVD+RW [U]works[/U].

[B]Sony DRU-V204A:[/B] Firmware 1.60.

DVD+R [U]works[/U].

DVD+RW, and all CD media, do [U]not[/U] work. (Interestingly, DVD+RW does work ok in the LVW-5007.)

There’s still no drive that works with all media, but the first two seem like good bets, depending on whether CD or DVD+RW media are more important to you.

I am pretty sure I have an aneurysm by now…reading all these post! So after reading all the past post, most of those drives are way out dated. So I have my 5045 that needs a new DVD-Drive. Any suggestions without too much mumbo jumbo. Thanks!

I’m unfamiliar with the 5045, but you may want to consider trying to find one of the drives suggested in post #322 if the 5045 has limited space like the 5055 as noted in post #317. The Sony DRU-120C (DW-G120A) and LiteOn SHM-165P6S as well as SHM-165H6S should work well and fist is space is limited. You should be able to find some of these via Google search. Note these LiteOn models freeze on fast forward and need to be cross flashed to Sony to gain normal fast forward function. Also note the Sony DRU-190A is the same as the AD-7190A, and Google searches may find one but not the other.

There’s also a thread here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/replacement-drive-lvw-5045-a-197283/ specifically on the 5045, and you might take a look at my thread here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/replacing-drive-lvw-5007-photos-273094/ which photos on replacing the drive in a 5007, which I believe uses the same case as the 5045.

Hi folks,

Here are some [B]UPDATES[/B] on my drive tests in my LVW-5005XS. I picked up some Verbatim 2x DVD-RW media (95 cents at B&H Photo) and I also tried some DVD-R media. Surprisingly I also discovered that the older drives [U]cannot[/U] do [B]HQ[/B] recording without problems.

(I also found that the DDW-806S that came with the unit, and my SOHW-1693S, are both producing burns with unreadable sections, so they’ve been voted off the island except for these compatibility tests. I don’t think the 1693S’s STOPPING problem is related to this, as there was another report of the same problem in the LVW-5007.)

Here are the [B]UPDATED[/B] test results:

[B]Benq DW1655:[/B] Firmware BCIB. The DW1650 is the non-LightScribe version of this drive and should work the same.

VCD and Audio CD [U]work[/U]. Audio CD-RW works; CD-RW erase says FAIL, but the drive does finish the erase, and another erase completes immediately.

DVD+R works but DVD+RW does [U]not[/U] work.
DVD-R surprisingly does [U]not[/U] work. The disc prepares ok, but it won’t let me record.
DVD-RW works.

HQ recording does [U]not[/U] work. I almost always get a WRITE FAIL at some point, often around the 35 minute mark.

[B]Liteon SOHW-1693S:[/B] Firmware KS0B. This drive seems problematic - in my 5007 I would often get a “STOPPING” status that would not clear until I unplugged the unit, and that happened in the 5005XS too. Also with any media faster than 4x, it’s noisy, as the firmware records at 6x; the other drives use 4x for such media.

Audio CD and Audio CD-RW [U]work[/U]. VCD does [U]not[/U] work.

DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, and DVD-RW [U] all work[/U].

HQ recording mostly does [U]not[/U] work. With +R media it fails immediately; with -R media it failed after a few minutes. -RW media seems to work but I would not be confident about that.

[B]Sony DW-G120A:[/B] Firmware MYS6. This drive was originally a Liteon SHW-160P6S.

Audio CD [U]works[/U] but Audio CD-RW does [U]not[/U] work. VCD does [U]not[/U] work.

DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, and DVD-RW [U]all work[/U].

HQ [U]works[/U] though I had one session on -RW stop early (unfortunately I did not see the error message if there was one).

[B]Sony DRU-V204A:[/B] Firmware 1.60.

DVD+R, DVD-R, and DVD-RW [U]work[/U].
HQ recording [U]works[/U].

DVD+RW, and all CD media, do [U]not[/U] work. (Interestingly, DVD+RW does work ok in the LVW-5007 with this drive.)

The Benq DW1655 is the only drive where all modes of CD recording work. Otherwise I like the Sony DRU-V204A, though +RW media does not work. (The Sony DW-G120A has better media compatibility, but I don’t trust it completely without some further testing.)

Afecu–just curious, you are either recording low resolution or wasting alot of DvD space at the DvD setting. I have stopped using my two Liteon’s since renting the High Def Recorder from my Cable Company. I now experience higher quality in smaller file sizes and very few coasters using my computer to burn.

What are you recording?

afecu
Thanks for the info. Its helpful to some of us that are still using our Lite-On recorders.

DR. PAUL, you’re welcome. Thanks for your helpful posts also.

leaglebob, I was trying the HQ mode for DV transfers from my camcorder - it’s supposed to have enough bits that it might make a difference. In any case the standalone recorders are much more convenient for my setup.

afecu==thanks, good reminder. I tried to hook my Liteon up to the firewire (out) port on my Motorola modem. No joy. The camcorder signal must be different in some way from the dvr signal. Too bad. I have a camera that has a video option. Time to play with my toys.

I’ve stopped using both my Liteons and they just sit there now next to the High Def recorder. The high def setting of 720x480 would be useful except I’m assuming the signal it is actually recording from the cable analogue feed is SD or 524x480 so I’m ASSUMING that would result in some wasted recording space? So many variables.

Just want to note for anyone else who might not have realized it: If you have your Liteon recorder set to region-free and you replace the drive, you must also set the replacement drive region-free. (The original DDW-xxxx drives are region-free.) It’s not enough to set the drive (in a PC) to your local region - that lets you play DVDs with that region code but not others.

There is region-free firmware around for many drives, and region-free software for Liteon drives. A key word is “rpc1”.

Also, I had a chance to try a Benq DW1650 in my LVW-5007. It’s not recommended - it works ok with +RW media, but +R media ends up only partially written. The drive does work with +R but not with +RW in the 5005XS - go figure. Obviously the recorders are not exactly in the same family!

Thanks for the info.

I just installed a Sony AD7200A in my Liteon 5045. I mounted it right on the old posts. The drive tray is about an inch inside the unit so I won’t mount the old face plate. It works like a dream. Only tested +R but it recognises the disc fast and records effortlessly. Fast forward and reverse works. I can play all my old discs that the oem drive wouldn’t play anymore. I don’t mind walking 15’ to the computer to erase RW’s if need be. It’s like a breathe of fresh air. The old drive was haunted, opened and closed when it felt like it, took 10 minutes, if at all, recognising discs when trying to record etc. This one just works and all for only $30. Thanks for all the tips folks!!!

One more thing, I did NOT have to set the region code in the computer. I’ve played several commercial discs and they all played fine.

I just replaced the drive in my lvw-5005 with a Sony AD-7191A. This is the same drive as the Sony AD-7190A, but with Lightscribe. (I had pulled it out of my old PC). Didn’t have to remove the posts in the lvw-5005, but did have to make the small notch to get the drive faceplate on correctly. It seems to be a good drop in replacement for the original drive. Fast forward works and it will erase DVD+RW discs. It records to DVD+R, DVD+RW. It failed when I tried to record to DVD-R. It also wouldn’t record to a DVD+R DL. I thought about loading the LVW-5006 firmware to see if I could enable Dual Level recording support, but couldn’t find where anyone has been able to do this and get DL recording working.

Has anyone loaded the lvw-5006 firmware onto a lvw-5005 without bricking the unit?

[QUOTE=bonchien;2432915]I just replaced the drive in my lvw-5005 with a Sony AD-7191A. This is the same drive as the Sony AD-7190A, but with Lightscribe. (I had pulled it out of my old PC). Didn’t have to remove the posts in the lvw-5005, but did have to make the small notch to get the drive faceplate on correctly. It seems to be a good drop in replacement for the original drive. Fast forward works and it will erase DVD+RW discs. It records to DVD+R, DVD+RW. It failed when I tried to record to DVD-R. It also wouldn’t record to a DVD+R DL. I thought about loading the LVW-5006 firmware to see if I could enable Dual Level recording support, but couldn’t find where anyone has been able to do this and get DL recording working.

Has anyone loaded the lvw-5006 firmware onto a lvw-5005 without bricking the unit?[/QUOTE]
Nevermind. I got some bad information saying that the lvw-5006 had dual layer writing enabled. Apparently, it doesn’t.

Hi,

Just had the drive in my UK (region 2) LVW-5005 fail. (been working fine since new in 2005).

Can you add NEC ND-4570A with NEC Firmware 1.03 (set to region 2 in PC) to the list of drives that does not work.
(Had this drive new in box at work - thought I’d give it a try. Lid states manufactured Feb 2006).

It will play back pre-recorded material. But give it anything else and it eventually reports FAIL after a fair bit of trying.

Anyone know if the Liteon IHAP122-19 drive will work in the LVW-5005?

Most of the listed working drives are now difficult to get hold of.