Replacement Drives for Liteon 5xxx Recorders

vbimport

Post #244 of this thread states his AD-7200A failed to erase +RW media. Did you test whether yours will erase +RW media?

[QUOTE=bevills1;2260100]Post #244 of this thread states his AD-7200A failed to erase +RW media. Did you test whether yours will erase +RW media?[/QUOTE]
I haven’t tried it, but I’ll pick up some +RW media this week and see if it works.

Hi All ,

I’m looking to replace the drive in my 5055GDL+ (European model) . I’m sure the Liteon drives listed in the first post will work in my model . However , the problem is that these drives are not easily available in Europe and Amazon US won’t ship them to me in Spain . In Amazon UK there are several internal IDE drives listed :

I was just wondering if anyone had tried , and had success with any of these models ?

Thanks in advance .

Sammy

The 18A1P has been found to work for others except that it has the freeze on fast forward problem which all LiteOn models past 1693 have. The same should be true for the 20A1P and 20A4P, i.e. they’ll work fine for DVD with the exception of freeze on fast forward.

Do some research in the LiteOn Burner forum to find what the Sony rebadges are for the 20A1P and 18A1P, and cross flash to that Sony rebadge should fix the freeze on fast forward or just use as LiteOn if fast forward is unimportant. Note the 20A4P can’t be cross flashed to Sony because there is no Sony rebadge for that model.

Also the Benq DW-1620, NEC 3520A and Memorex MRX-530L are not in the list in the first post, but they have been posted to work by others in later posts of the thread. All 3 of these have been reported to have normal fast forward as well without any need to cross flash.

Thanks (again) bevills1 .

I have managed to track down a LH-20A1P but it’s gonna cost me about $70 all in which is more than I want to spend . I’ll try and track down the Benq , NEC or Memorex and see if I get lucky .

Cheers !

Sammy

i have sony dw g120a which is rebadge of LiteOn SHM-165P6S .
i have some problems.
so could u please send me eeprom backup of LiteOn SHM-165P6S or dw g120a

my email is :superjo2007@yahoo.co.in

thanks in advance

[QUOTE=bevills1;2260100]Post #244 of this thread states his AD-7200A failed to erase +RW media. Did you test whether yours will erase +RW media?[/QUOTE]

I tried mine (this is a Sony DRU-V204A with the original Sony 1.60 firmware, in an LVW-5007) and it seems to work ok.

I used a new Verbatim 4x DVD+RW (MKM-A02), put it in and the recorder “prepared” it, and then I recorded about 30 minutes of video.

I verified that the DVD was playable in another player, and then erased it in the 5007, which completed fine. I then verified that it had the full 2 hours and change available for recording.

Are there any other tests that would be helpful?

[QUOTE=bevills1;2206770]You should be able to update to latest LiteOn firmware if you can find it to fix the 16x media problem and then flash back to 098 firmware if you still have it. I and others have done this resulting in fixed 16x media problem and regain the hack advantages. Unfortunately LiteOn hasn’t posted any updates in a couple of years, and you may have problems finding the latest LiteOn update. If you can post your serial number, maybe somebody here might have the firmware needed. The first 2 sets of 4 digits of serial number must match, i.e. 0102-1840 for example.

Could this be the reason that my Lite-On LVW-5115GHC+ DVD Recorder will not format a 16x dvd. I put the dvd in and it goes up to 20% then door opens and asks for a new cd. I try and put it back and same thing. I put in a new dvd and go through the same thing.

Do you think the recorder is broke? It will play a dvd movie just fine. I tried the cleaner cd and it didn’t fix it. Any suggestions?

The firmware I’m using for my LVW-5115 GHC+ is LNMPU 030 dated 8-21-06.

Here is what I did to mine when it started having problems recording. I opened it up so I could get to the laser lens and then I cleaned it using a cleaner that I got for my eyeglasses from Walmart and a Q Tip. I also dried it using a Q Tip. Its been working fine on all media. Hope this helped you some.

[QUOTE=DR. PAUL;2266635]The firmware I’m using for my LVW-5115 GHC+ is LNMPU 030 dated 8-21-06.

Here is what I did to mine when it started having problems recording. I opened it up so I could get to the laser lens and then I cleaned it using a cleaner that I got for my eyeglasses from Walmart and a Q Tip. I also dried it using a Q Tip. Its been working fine on all media. Hope this helped you some.[/QUOTE]

The problem I am having is to open it up. Once I get into it if ever I don’t know what the lens looks like. I tried the dvd cleaner cd and that didn’t work. I will look again and see if maybe I can get into it. The manuel does not show any interior so I know what to look for.
Thank you for your reply.

Has your firmware been updated? I’d do firmware update first if not already done. Firmware update for the LVW-5115GHC should be found at http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=75.

You guys are just fantastic!!! Batting 100%. I did just as Dr. Paul said, took the cover off with help of someone else. Took the qtip with alcohol and cleaned the lens. Moved the drive up and down. And it appears that it is now working. At least I didn’t break it.

I have not done the firmware yet. What benefit will that give me? I can’t record the upper channels which I would love to be able to do. I have comcast with their box and go into the 100’s channels.

Thank you guys again. This old lady is so happy as I am on a fixed income and this really helped me.:smiley:

[QUOTE=bevills1;2266724]Has your firmware been updated? I’d do firmware update first if not already done. Firmware update for the LVW-5115GHC should be found at http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=75.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bevills1;2266724]Has your firmware been updated? I’d do firmware update first if not already done. Firmware update for the LVW-5115GHC should be found at http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=75.[/QUOTE]

I got the firmware dated 03/02/2007 LNMPG030.zip. Unzipped it, burned to a cd in iso mode. When I read the instructions on the Liteon site it appears that they are for cd burners in a computer. Is this the update file that people are using to update the firmware? I have the cd now but have not used it yet.

You got the right firmware for the LVW-5115 GHC+ Follow the instructions at the site and you’ll have no problems.

I’ve added a thread here with details and photos on how I replaced the drive in my LVW-5007. Enjoy!

[QUOTE=DR. PAUL;2266867]You got the right firmware for the LVW-5115 GHC+ Follow the instructions at the site and you’ll have no problems.[/QUOTE]

For some reason the link with instructions will not open.

[QUOTE=MeggieJJ;2266931]For some reason the link with instructions will not open.[/QUOTE]

Ok I now have the instructions and am able to upgrade the firmware. My question is when I upgrade it will it allow me to record higher channels over 100? I have the cable box and have done the scan for channels on the recorder but it still will not allow me to record them or see them on the tv.

Thanks again

Hi All ,

I can confirm that the Benq DW1620 is NOT a suitable replacement for the Liteon LVW-5055GLD+ (European model) . The Benq is way too long and basically sits on top of the PSU . I’m sure one of the shorter models will work but I just wanted to post that the Benq won’t work .

Sammy

The Benq DW1620 is about 1.1" longer than the Sony DW-G120A, and you may want to check dimensions of any viable replacement drive if space is that limited. Several LiteOn models are about the same length as the Sony, and it may be difficult to find a drive short enough to fit in that recorder. Another option you could consider is to mount the drive externally, cut a slot in the back of the recorder case and connect using a long IDE cable which some users have done with LiteOn recorders.

Hi again bevills1 :slight_smile:

My Liteon is 31cm from back to front . The installed drive is a DDW-813S (Sony on pcb) . So basically I’m looking for a direct replacement for that drive .

Sammy