Replacement Drives for Liteon 5xxx Recorders

vbimport

I have a lvw 5005, I tried a Sony DRU-V202A I cannot get it to record. It says it is recording but does not. When I stop the recorder (using a CD-R ) and restart recording then it says recording track 2 then i stop it again and restart recording it says recording track 2. The time on the left counts up but the time remaining does not move. ( on the display) Have I done something wrong or do I need to order another drive??? the SN is 0102-1840-0101-1.60 (100-0100)
Some of you in here know a whole lot more than me. Thanks in advance for any help.

No one has found a replacement burner that will burn to a CD. Try burning a DVD and see if that works.

rgr…I read through these threads till my head hurt:iagree:
I missed the CD thing. Thats a shame cause I have 2 of these and one is still working fine. I use them at our Church one to record DVD then one for an audio CD recording. If this does work then I could use it for the DVD but when the drive goes out on the other one I guess I am screwed. I have not found a suitable CD recorder at a decent price (below $200). I will try to see if i can find one. Thanks for the info. If anyone finds a drive that works with CD please let me know…thanks:sad:

I have made a successful DVD using my DRU-202A… Did multiple stops and restarts…it worked like a charm. Wonder why it will not burn Audio only…seems like it would be easier to burn only audio…CD-R burners are pricey if you want a decent one, have read a lot of negative reviews of the cheap ones. Wish Liteon was still producing these recorders cause they are great. I would buy a new one every couple of years if necessary, but a better quality drive would have made these things rock solid.

Sparkie,

The beginning of this thread says that the Sony DRU-120C burner (aka Sony DW-G120A, Lite-On SHM-165P6S) does do audio CD-R’s in a 5006 – I don’t know if it would also work in a 5005. (I may be able to help you out with one - send me a PM.)

drive for LVW-5005
20A1P--------------- no FF on commercial DVD,no SVCD/VCD recording on CD-RW,do audio recording on CD-RW
20A1P@DW2000-- do FF on commercial DVD,no SVCD/VCD recording on CD-RW,do audio recording on CD-RW
(20A1P@DW2000 6B33or9B3E)

Pioneer DVR-116DBK

Could someone kindly verify that this drive would serve as suitable replacement drive?

thanks

[QUOTE=DogsrGreat;2220761]Pioneer DVR-116DBK

Could someone kindly verify that this drive would serve as suitable replacement drive?

thanks[/QUOTE]I’d also be interested in this.

I have the lite-on LVG 9016 combo unit. I used an ad7200 to fix my DVD. It will FF and all other options. Fit with no modification except removing both parts of the face plate. The DVDrw failed on erase but still worked fine , which may be the brand. I also bought the Sony ad7220 from newegg fo $19 and it worked the same. Hope this helps someone.

I’ve just spent 2 hrs reading thru these posts. My head is buzzing and I’m no closer to getting an answer to my problem.

[B]Problem: [/B]
My LVW 5006 purchased new 2 years ago with installed region free and MV hack is now refusing to read DVD+R disks. Also the disk drawer is very cranky about opening. I have to repeatedly go thru several drawer open-loading-open cycles and it eventually begrudgingly opens.
[B]
Requirements: [/B]

1. A replacement drive that will be less picky than the Lite-on as to
    which media will play/record.

2. A drive not requiring major surgery to the Lite-on case.

3. A drive that would be compatible with a MV hack and region free
    hack which I need for my Pal French DVDs.

[B]Questions:[/B]

1. After replacing the drive will I in fact loose the hacks mentionned?
    Will I need to stick to a Lite-on drive to conserve those 2 hacks?
    I not sure sure if these two hacks are drive or system related or
    both.

2. Once installed, can I flash the new drive using an update
    CD made as described elsewhere using hack software ILOHack.exe .
    I see multiple posts about setting the region by first installing the
    drive in a PC, so this point is confusing to me.

3. Perhaps the ILOhack only works with a Lite-on/ILO drive. If so for
    simplicity what model should I buy to work in my LVW 5006?

4. Anyone have experience with the quirky drawer problem? Would
    grease help?

Dan

1. The MV hack has to do with th system firmware and is unaffected by burner replacement and its firmware, and no MV hack will be lost by burner replacement.

2. Any burner replacement is connected to a computer and a DVD played in the burner in order to set region. Any new burner firmware updates must also be done while connected to computer as it will not be possible once installed in the recorder.*

3. Any drive listed in this thread will work in any 5xxx Liteon recorder including the 5006 since ILOhack has nothing to do with the burner itself.

*Note region free will be lost when region is set. You might try to set region free while connected to computer by using tools in the burner forum in order for the new burner to be region free after placing it in the recorder to see if it works instead of setting region, but some have posted functionality problems encountered with the region free setting on replacement burners. The only way to know is to test and see. This was no problem for my Sony DRU-120C(DW-G120A) or my Benq DW-1620, and you may do better with one of those if they can be found.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m confused by your statement that the region free status would be lost after installing a new drive, having read elsewhere that that function was controlled by the recorder’s system software and not the burner firmware.

Can anyone weigh in on this? The region free capacity is essential to me as I frequently play PAL region 2 DVDs.

If the region status is in fact controlled by the burner when placed back in the Lite-on recorder ( as opposed to its use in a PC), what method is available to
make it region free?

Dan

Some have reported functionality problems with region free setting that were fixed by setting region while connected to computer. I suggest trying region free first and keep region free if no problems are encountered. I believe region free setting would need be applied while connected to computer as well, and this can be done via the region free tool at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/comprehensive-liteon-tools-collection-v5-0-7-revised-8-january-2007-a-83441/.

You can also use the Book Type Utility to bitset DVD+R to DVD-ROM book type to increase playback compatibility if you wish. I applied both region free and Book Type Utility to my replacement burner, and they both work very well in my 5005. These LiteOn tools can be used on all LiteOn drives and LiteOn rebadges including Sony, Memorex and others.

Do we have confirmation that the DVR-116DBK has full RW support (erases and records)?

I’m looking for a drive that has FF AND full RW support. It seems not alot of people use RW so its not reported in the thread but that’s basically all I use.

I’ve read and read and am still unsure what drive has full RW support (and FF) and is currently being sold.

It appears nobody here has tested it, but since the DVR-116 has a NEC chipset and since NEC AD-7200A has been reported to not erase +RW, I’d guess the DVR-116 likely would not erase +RW while FF should work normally.

Your best choice may be a Sony DRU-190A at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sony+dru-190a&btnG=Search , Sony DRU-120C (DW-G120A) at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sony+dru-120c&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq= or LiteOn SHM-165H6S from http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=liteon+shm-165h6s&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3277851737&ref=pd_sl_8fach48xjy_b. Note the LiteOn would need to be cross flashed to Sony DW-G120A to gain normal FF, but that’s very easy to do. I cross flashed the nearly identical model SHM-165P6S to DW-G120A, and it’s still working great after about 2 years of use.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2251539]It appears nobody here has tested it, but since the DVR-116 has a NEC chipset and since NEC AD-7200A has been reported to not erase +RW, I’d guess the DVR-116 likely would not erase +RW while FF should work normally.

Your best choice may be a Sony DRU-190A at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sony+dru-190a&btnG=Search , Sony DRU-120C (DW-G120A) at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sony+dru-120c&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq= or LiteOn SHM-165H6S from http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=liteon+shm-165h6s&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3277851737&ref=pd_sl_8fach48xjy_b. Note the LiteOn would need to be cross flashed to Sony DW-G120A to gain normal FF, but that’s very easy to do. I cross flashed the nearly identical model SHM-165P6S to DW-G120A, and it’s still working great after about 2 years of use.[/QUOTE]
Thanks,

I got the line on a few of your recommended drives on fleabay and locally on Craigslist. It would’ve been nice if the Pioneer had RW erase support because they are still sold everywhere and on the cheap.

The Pioneer might erase RW, but we won’t know for sure unless somebody tries it and posts results. The LiteOn from the Amazon link is only $25, and that model cross flashed to Sony DW-G120A should work very well.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2253018]The Pioneer might erase RW, but we won’t know for sure unless somebody tries it and posts results. The LiteOn from the Amazon link is only $25, and that model cross flashed to Sony DW-G120A should work very well.[/QUOTE]
The above amazon $25 link points to a Lite-On DH-20A4P-33C and not a SHM-165H6S.

I was told in post 230 that the DH-20A3P was the last rebadged Sony and that the 20A4P wont crossflash: http://club.cdfreaks.com/2171676-post230.html

Correct about the $25 Amazon link and correct on DH-20A3P being last Sony rebadge. I got the $25 Amazon link from http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=liteon+shm-165h6s&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq= that shows the third link on that page to be Liteon Shm-165h6s, but clicking that link shows it is the 20A4P instead which I failed to notice. Sorry about that oversight on my part, but glad you caught it.

Just want to give an update on my drive replacement saga with my LVW-5007.

I’d first replaced the original drive with a LiteOn SOHW-1693S. However, that drive is not reliable in the 5007 with newer media – for some reason it cannot record to fast media at speeds below 6x (so says the media table in the firmware), and using such media led to “STOPPING” forever, coasters, and frustration.

Then I tried a Sony DRU-190A, and that seemed ok but the drive failed almost immediately and would not open the drawer.

I don’t recall whether I tried a LiteOn SHM-165P6S, but I had trouble with those drives failing in my PCs (the drawer open mechanism tends to mechanical failure, particularly when the drive is mounted vertically), plus they are a bit fussy about media, and I’ve kind of soured on LiteOn drives at this point.

So… I am now using a Sony/Optiarc DRU-V204A drive (internally an Optiarc AD-7200A), and it’s working great! The only drawback is a consistent delay of about a few seconds until the recording starts, but I can live with that. I did the update by trimming the drive’s cover and without modifying the 5007’s case at all; I’ll post some photos when I have a chance.

P.S If anyone would like a LiteOn 1693S, or a SHM-165P6S crossflashed to a Sony DW-G120A, please let me know…