Replacement Drives for Liteon 5xxx Recorders

vbimport

I got my Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7200-0B today. I have run some tests on it already and here is what I found

FF & FR both work
Recorded and played DVD+R fine
Will not erase a DVD+RW (I need this)
Will play a DVD+RW
Will finalize a DVD+R
No VCD or SVCD (not important)

I didn’t have a brand new DVD+RW that I could try. If someone else has one would you try it and let me know if it works. The next thing I’m going to do is take 2 DVD+RW’s and erase them in my computer. I will do one quick erase and one full erase. Then I’ll try recording on them. So far this isn’t a good replacement if you use RW media.

OK I got it recording a DVD+RW. I erased one in my other recorder and then taped on it for about 30 sec. The DVD+RW will now record in the Sony NEC Optiarc fine. Its a good thing I have more than 1 DVD recorder. I’m going to get some new DVD+RW’s tomarrow to try. I’ll report back with the results.

[QUOTE=DR. PAUL;2175259]OK I got it recording a DVD+RW. I erased one in my other recorder and then taped on it for about 30 sec. The DVD+RW will now record in the Sony NEC Optiarc fine. Its a good thing I have more than 1 DVD recorder. I’m going to get some new DVD+RW’s tomarrow to try. I’ll report back with the results.[/QUOTE]

Good info, looking forward to the results.
I only use -R media for burning, they worked best in my other stand alone DVD players.

[QUOTE=negritude;2174947]The Sony DRU-842A, DRU-V200A, DRU-V202A, and DRU-V204A are all believed to be based in whole or in part on the Optiarc AD-7200A, which is an NEC chipset drive, and that has been shown to be a good choice for recorder drive replacement.[/QUOTE]

Negritude, this board is lucky to have people like you to help. I’m sure you’ve forgot more about this stuff than I’ll ever know :slight_smile:
Please keep up the great posts and cross link threads whenever you can. I came to this site to learn how to repair my 5005 and it wasn’t easy to find the exact thread that we have going on here. I think I searched for 2 days until I found this.

This burner is not a good replacement if you use DVD+RW media.
I bought some new +RW media (Verb) and it prepared ok burned ok but will not erase the media. It gets to 94% and fails. Just to make sure it wasn’t the recorder I moved the burner to my other recorder and had the same results. I don’t use -RW media so I couldn’t test it.

If anyone else gets this burner try the tests like I did and please reeport your results.

[QUOTE=DR. PAUL;2175517]This burner is not a good replacement if you use DVD+RW media.
I bought some new +RW media (Verb) and it prepared ok burned ok but will not erase the media. It gets to 94% and fails. Just to make sure it wasn’t the recorder I moved the burner to my other recorder and had the same results. I don’t use -RW media so I couldn’t test it. [/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, did you get to test the drive at all in a computer? Sometimes, in order for a DVD burner to work just right, it needs to first be configured in a computer before being transferred to a recorder. Not all of them will work right out of the box. If you had ever visited any of the regular DVD burner forums, you’d be aware of this. I’m mostly a computer person, not a recorder person, so what I know comes from the PC/Mac side of burning, but I can say that the amount of tweaking we do with custom firmware and settings, even when installing in a computer, will make you realize just how complex this can be.

There can be all sorts of bugs and glitches that a firmware update might solve, or you may need to use speciailized utilities to configure the drive so that it works the way you want, automatically, without being installed permanently in a computer. That’s an aspect that I think many here might be missing.

In fact, if I remember correctly, there was a bug in an earlier version of Optiarc AD-7200x firmware, that caused it to have some problems with DVD-RW and DVD+RW media. A firmware update fixed it. Currently, the Optiarc AD-7200x drives have a new version 1.09 firmware that is available. You need to get your drive connected to a PC, update the firmware, and then try again with RW media.

Yep, here I found the official reason for the release of AD-7200x firmware version 1.06:

http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/en/support-service/faqs2/informationen-zu-firmwareupdates/was-wird-sich-mit-den-neuen-firmwareupdates-verndern/ad-7200a---firmware-update-1.06#Ri0dWvibnvtbutHjG2V_lA

AD-7200A - Firmware update 1.06

Main reasons for this firmware update are as follow:

-Write strategy update.

-Bug fix for DVD+RW disc recognition issue.

So that solves the problem. Once you update your drive to firmware version 1.09, the problem with erasing DVD+RW media should go away. Here’s a direct link to Optiarc AD-7200A firmware, version 1.09:

http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/uploads/bg/fe/bgfeKyrKoi791fV3HsrwtA/AD7200A_1090W_1566.ZIP

Remember, that firmware is ONLY for the AD-7200A. If you’re using any other model of Optiarc drive in a recorder (including the AD-7201A/S, AD-7203A/S, or any of the Sony drives that are based on it), you need to download different firmware.

This serves as a key example of why you should always update the firmware and configure your drives first, on a computer, before you install them in a recorder.

negritude
Thanks for the info. I did hook it to my computer to play a comercial DVD but did not check for any firmware updates. Manufactures date is August 2008 so I didn’t think about any firmware updates. I’ll hook it back up to my computer and update the firmware and post any changes in my tests. Thanks again for your time and info on this burner. It might be a couple of days before I get a chance to do it though.

It didn’t help. Slows down at 91% and fails at 94%. It worked in the computer to erase DVD+RW but not in the recorder. Thanks again for your time. I’m going to put it in my computer and pull the lite-on for future replacement in my recorders.

[QUOTE=Antwon;2170178]
I tried a new drive from one of my computers today and if you hit FF it locks up my 5005. It’s a Liteon DH-20A4P-04. It does record on DVD-R and plays burned or store purchased DVDs.[/QUOTE]

I have this running in my recorder right now, and I consider it a great success. The drive burns onto DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW and erases +RW. I knew about the FF not working before I tried it, and that’s not ideal, but I don’t really care - my recorder is a recorder, and I don’t play anything on it except the odd from-other-regions DVDs.

I’d plead for people to do more testing - multiple formats and erase are all importan t. While it’s good to hear about the Sony 7200, I don’t know what people have tested.

BTW, the Sony DRU-810A got itself voted off the (recorder) island - I think I could do DVD-R and not much else on it, which was sad. Not a success.

[QUOTE=rthurlow;2176646]BTW, the Sony DRU-810A got itself voted off the (recorder) island - I think I could do DVD-R and not much else on it, which was sad. Not a success.[/QUOTE]

That’s too bad. Those are legendary drives for computer burning (they are based on the BenQ DW1640 and DW1650).

Hi All ,

Sorry for hijiking the thread . As there are 10 pages regarding this matter would it not be possible to keep just one (updatable) post with compatible DVD drives for the 5XXX models ?

Even though my 5055GDL drive is still working I’d like to replace it with a (region free) compatible drive .

Sammy

Hi,
Found this thread just before Christmas. Got a Liteon 5025 with a duff dvd drive just returned from a repairer via Argos as unrepairable (parts unobtainable) and thought the Sony AD-7200A-0B might be just what i need. Ordered it 22th Dec from Misco for £20.00 ish quid and it arrived on the 24th. Hole in machine needed making larger but didn’t use dremel etc, just bent the soft metal with pliers. Fixings on base did not line up either but new drive rests on the old ones. Got 2 small right angled brackets and with drive pushed into hole correctly so that it ejected through ok, superglued brackets to base (use Glue with activator; it helps cure it immediately). Had taken front off the replacement so all that was needed was a few more dabs of glue to attach old mirrored front and all was complete!
Would not play any Dvds at first so downloaded the latest firmware as found in the forums and then made the 5025 region free.
Plays absolutely everything now and records to dvd+ discs( got loads of them left over from an earlier Philips machine) Then moved some material from Hdd to Dvd, the first time its ever let me do this EVER. Oh and FF & RW work perfectly ok to…
So a big thank you to everyone on this forum for all the information and for twenty quid, i’ve had the most satisfying of Christmasses…

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed here.

My 5025’s DVD drive had given up some time ago. The Sony DRU-190A arrived this morning, some bending and flexing and now it is all fully working again.

All the best,

Tony.

My LVW-5005A stopped recognizing recordable media 10 days ago. I cleaned the lens with a disc cleaner and it didn’t seem to help. I decided to “run” the lens cleaner disc several times and was able to get a recordable disc accepted last night, so I “recorded” a 2-hour Hi8 tape last night. Unfortunately, at the end of the recording, the word “STOP” started flashing and continued for some 25 minutes, before the drive finally powered down. At the time I assumed it was having trouble finalizing the recording. As I feared, the disc cannot be read by either the 5005 or any of my PC DVD drives.

Of the drives listed in this thread as working, I haven’t found any of them at my typical online resellers. I guess I’m going to have to take a stab at a newer one that is available.

Are they any drives that are known for sure not to work?

What are the chances that the Pioneer DVR-116DBK might work?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129023

The LG GH22LP20?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136147

The Lite-On DH-52C2P-08?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106082

The Lite-On iHAP422-08?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106269

Is there anything I should look for as a clue that something might work?

Another considerationi is that I have an NEC ND-3520A BK in my PC right now? I’ve seen that people have gotten that one to work, but it works so flawlessly in my PC I kinda hate to replace it until I build a new PC.

Please advise,
Thanks!

I got my Sony DRU-190A from Amazon. Are they a seller you can use?

Tony.

tluxon, look at post #235 on this thread, a user states that the Pioneer 116 works in a 5045, it should work fine in the 5005.

The Lite-On DH-52C2P-08 is a dvd-rom only, not a dvd burner, so no go there.

Not sure about the LG.

The Lite-On iHAP422-08 is new (x22) and it might work but might not do fast forward, not been tested yet.

[QUOTE=tonybod;2195835]I got my Sony DRU-190A from Amazon. Are they a seller you can use?

Tony.[/QUOTE]Yes, I just don’t usually check them first out of habit because they’re local and tack on sales tax (I probably shouldn’t admit that, but it wouldn’t be a factor on this purchase regardless). I see that Amazon links to a seller in Florida that has the DRU-190A for about $60 (incl. S&H). Do the advantages of the DRU-190A make this a better deal than trying the Pioneer 116 for $25 (free shipping at Newegg)?

[QUOTE=CrazyCanuck;2195844]tluxon, look at post #235 on this thread, a user states that the Pioneer 116 works in a 5045, it should work fine in the 5005.[/QUOTE]Unless it’s clear that the DRU-190A is a superior choice, this is the one I’ll try.

Sorry about the link to that Lite-On DH-52C2P-08. I remember reading that several buyers were upset that it burned CDs but only read DVDs, but it slipped my mind when I slapped the post together.

Thanks!

Why didn’t you mention the Lite-ON DH 20A4P $20.99 plusFree Shipping from NewEgg. This Burner will work.

[QUOTE=DR. PAUL;2195924]Why didn’t you mention the Lite-ON DH 20A4P $20.99 plusFree Shipping from NewEgg. This Burner will work.[/QUOTE]I wondered about that, but this thread has been tough to parse out in my mind, and I guess I was falsely impressed that the DH 20A4P may not be as good a match as the Pioneer 116.

[QUOTE=CrazyCanuck;2059951]…The DH 20A4P will work except for the fast forward on DVD+Rs and commercial DVDs, it does FF on RWs, it freezes up, you most unplug or press both Power (remote and recorder) at the same time to shut the recorder down, annoying, I just chapter up and rewind if I need to, I use other players anyways to watch.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=gash44;2101160]The DH-20A4P is a good drive but I think you will find that you will not have the FF feature on the 5005 function it will freeze the machine RW will work ok as well as chapter search and chapter skip.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Antwon;2170178]I tried a new drive from one of my computers today and if you hit FF it locks up my 5005. It’s a Liteon DH-20A4P-04. It does record on DVD-R and plays burned or store purchased DVDs.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bevills1;2170513]I suspect cross flashing the Liteon DH-20A4P to the corresponding Sony rebadge will gain normal FF function. Both the Sony DRU-120C (DW-G120A) and DRU-190A have normal FF function as replacement burners in LiteOn recorders, and I as well as others have cross flashed the LiteOn SHM-165P6S and/or SHW-160P6S to Sony DRU-120C to gain normal FF function. I suspect all Sony burners that are LiteOn rebadges will have normal FF while non LiteOn rebadges may not.

Others have posted freeze on fast forward issues with LiteOn DH-20A4P, DH-20A3P, SHM-165P6S and other newer LiteOn models, and it makes more sense to me to choose from the list known to work rather than compile a list determined not to work IMO. Now the list at the beginning of this thread doesn’t indicate which freeze on FF, and adding that info in the list would be very helpful as it would make it unnecessary to read the entire thread to find ones that don’t freeze on FF.[/QUOTE]

Based on these posts I was concerned about the FF compromise and worried that it might not be flashable to a Sony “equivalent”.

Then I came across the posts about the Sony AD-7200A-0B, where the biggest concern seemed to be that it couldn’t erase RW discs. I’m not sure what would be the greater issue - the loss of FF or the loss of erasing RW discs.

[QUOTE=Antwon;2173369]…I’m going to put the burner that doesn’t work in my 5005 in his PC and in my case that’s the DH-20A4P-04 that I tried in the post above…

BINGO!:clap::clap::clap::clap:
I just installed a new Sony AD-7200A-0B and it works perfect…[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=nihon4;2174863]…In effect, at home I connected it to my 5045 and it works totally fine, plays, records and FF’s!:bow:

So, the news is that PIONEER DVR-116DBK works as a replacement for LVW-5045.:iagree:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=negritude;2174941]The Optiarc AD-7200 series drives and the Pioneer DVR-116 series drives use the exact same NEC chipset, so it makes sense that if one works as a replacement, the other will as well.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=negritude;2174947]The Sony DRU-842A, DRU-V200A, DRU-V202A, and DRU-V204A are all believed to be based in whole or in part on the Optiarc AD-7200A, which is an NEC chipset drive, and that has been shown to be a good choice for recorder drive replacement.[/QUOTE]Since the Sony AD-7200A-0B is out of stock, I wondered it the Pioneer 116 would be basically the same thing. Based on all these posts and your own valuable experience with the AD-7200-0B, which would you recommend that I try first? The Lite-On DH 20A4P?

Thanks!

So what do you guys think I’d have better luck with, the Lite-On DH 20A4P or the Pioneer DVR-116? I’d like to get one on order.

Thanks!