Replacement Drives for Liteon 5xxx Recorders

vbimport

What LG model did you use?

LVW 5005A updates

Without knowing about this forum, I went to Best Buy and got a Sony DRU-842A. Right outta the box I slapped it in the 5005, and it worked. From reading the forum, I think I got super lucky. I have only tried 2hr -R record, but absolutley no problems. DVD plays great everywhere else. No flashing firmware, no mess, no hasle. All I want is to record DVD’s off TV so this is great. Install trick—I left the drive door end cover off, and it works great. I am going to try the “clipper” mods to get the cover on. Very sweet.

For kix, I also tried a LG GSA H55N I had sitting around - no go - will only manually eject (using button on drive, not from the 5005), and seems to lock up recorder. Flashing firmware is more work than I care to do.

So I am anxious to see if someone else has the same great luck with the Sony DRU 842A.

Thanks for evryone who contributed to this thread. Gotta love America and the Internet, 20 people with the same DVD problem can get together and solve it!!!

I don’t know that LG drive Tinnee used, but the LG GSA-H10N seems to work fine in the 5007. (I recorded and finalized a 2 hour recording, but didn’t test it further.)

Just FYI, Staples will have a 20x DVD-RW drive for $19.99 for Black Friday (Saturday too). It’s a Sony DRUV204A which is apparently an Optiarc (NEC) AD7204A in disguise. I have no idea if it works as a replacement drive but at that price…

[QUOTE=Vetteboy1;2162525]So I am anxious to see if someone else has the same great luck with the Sony DRU 842A.

[/QUOTE]

Another thread says: DRU-842A = Optiarc AD-7200A

[QUOTE=afecu;2163318]Just FYI, Staples will have a 20x DVD-RW drive for $19.99 for Black Friday (Saturday too). It’s a Sony DRUV204A.[/QUOTE]

The drive is confirmed in another thread as a rebadged Optiarc AD-7200A, and on a quick test in my LVW-5007, it works fine (I did prepare, record 2 hours, and finalize, with no problems).

You can still order it today from staples.com (with free shipping). The item # is 766251.

Here’s an update on my DRU-190A drive in the LVW-5007:

I was able to get the firmware file to turn the drive back from LiteOn to Sony. However, if anything it is less compatible with the 5007 – when I turn the unit on, the status line says “READING” (and there is no disc in the drive), and that status never changes. The “open” button never opens the DVD drive. The “power” button does work though. When it was a LiteOn this situation only happened most of the time :confused:

The drive works fine in a computer, so I think it’s ok, but I thought it did work in the 5007 when I first tried it.

Anyone else have this experience with a 5007?

(Anyone want a DRU-190A cheap? It’s got the front cut off so it fits right in the 5007…)

Hello, I know this is my first post but how about a section that lists new DVD drive models for the 5xxx that [U][B]don’t[/B][/U] work so don’t keep making the same mistakes?
I tried a new drive from one of my computers today and if you hit FF it locks up my 5005. It’s a Liteon DH-20A4P-04. It does record on DVD-R and plays burned or store purchased DVDs.

I suspect cross flashing the Liteon DH-20A4P to the corresponding Sony rebadge will gain normal FF function. Both the Sony DRU-120C (DW-G120A) and DRU-190A have normal FF function as replacement burners in LiteOn recorders, and I as well as others have cross flashed the LiteOn SHM-165P6S and/or SHW-160P6S to Sony DRU-120C to gain normal FF function. I suspect all Sony burners that are LiteOn rebadges will have normal FF while non LiteOn rebadges may not.

Others have posted freeze on fast forward issues with LiteOn DH-20A4P, DH-20A3P, SHM-165P6S and other newer LiteOn models, and it makes more sense to me to choose from the list known to work rather than compile a list determined not to work IMO. Now the list at the beginning of this thread doesn’t indicate which freeze on FF, and adding that info in the list would be very helpful as it would make it unnecessary to read the entire thread to find ones that don’t freeze on FF.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2170513]I suspect cross flashing the Liteon DH-20A4P to the corresponding Sony rebadge will gain normal FF function. [/QUOTE]Newegg has the DH-20A4P-04 on sale for $20 with free shipping. Is there a corresponding Sony rebadge firmware for this drive? I’d like to pull the trigger and get my recorder up and running AND with FF.

[QUOTE=nmantas;2171560]Newegg has the DH-20A4P-04 on sale for $20 with free shipping. Is there a corresponding Sony rebadge firmware for this drive?[/QUOTE]

No. The last Sony drive that was a rebadged Lite-On was the DRU-190A (DRU-190A = Optiarc AD-7190A = Lite-On DH-20A3P).

This thread needs to be updated often and the only way we are going to find the new burners that work is by trying new models.

First let me explain that I need two burners. My kids PC has a bad DVD reader so I’m going to put the burner that doesn’t work in my 5005 in his PC and in my case that’s the DH-20A4P-04 that I tried in the post above. So I get two shots at this and I see lots of DVD burners that are about $20-$25 with free shipping on Newegg. Since I get two shots and most of the drives listed on this thread are hard to find or much more money, I’ll take the chance even if that means no FF function.

BINGO!:clap::clap::clap::clap:
I just installed a new Sony AD-7200A-0B and it works perfect. The best part about the drive it’s just $19.99 and free shipping. Here is the link. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118011
The install only took about 15 minutes total. I just removed the front cover, cd drawer front piece, and the bottom plate. I had to cut the usual plastic tab that’s on my 5005, I even left the stock mounting blocks. The metal bracket and grounding clips were also installed on the new drive. I did need to cut the notch on my new DVD drawer to get the stock DVD drawer cover to fit but that was easy with a sharp Stanley knife. No need to flash anything or hook it up to a PC. If you’re into doing all that stuff that’s great but for the people that just want it to work without screwing around ( like me) than I hope this post will help. Pics to follow.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2170513]I suspect cross flashing the Liteon DH-20A4P to the corresponding Sony rebadge will gain normal FF function. Both the Sony DRU-120C (DW-G120A) and DRU-190A have normal FF function as replacement burners in LiteOn recorders, and I as well as others have cross flashed the LiteOn SHM-165P6S and/or SHW-160P6S to Sony DRU-120C to gain normal FF function. I suspect all Sony burners that are LiteOn rebadges will have normal FF while non LiteOn rebadges may not.

Others have posted freeze on fast forward issues with LiteOn DH-20A4P, DH-20A3P, SHM-165P6S and other newer LiteOn models, and it makes more sense to me to choose from the list known to work rather than compile a list determined not to work IMO. Now the list at the beginning of this thread doesn’t indicate which freeze on FF, and adding that info in the list would be very helpful as it would make it unnecessary to read the entire thread to find ones that don’t freeze on FF.[/QUOTE]

Pics of my install. No duct tape, bubble gum or glue. The drive is supported by the stock metal wrap around bracket which is screwed down to the same oem mounting holes and sitting on the stock plastic mounts. The drawer opens and closes as it should.

Great info and pics Antwon, based on your success I ordered a Sony AD-7200A-0B from Newegg for my Gateway AR-230 (5001), and I’ll post my results next week.

I ordered one too. Just so everyone knows this is a Sony NEC Optiarc. I tried this make before but a different model number and it didn’t work. The post is here some place. Thanks for the info and I’ll post my results after I try it. Its being delivered tomarrow.

Something everyone might be interested in. A friend of mine got me what is called a R-Driver II as a present. It is a USB 2.0 to IDE cable. Its kind of nice. I don’t have to put the DVD burner in my computer anymore to play a comercial DVD. I now can hook this up and plug it into my USB, play the DVD and its ready to put in a recorder. Don’t know where he got it but he said it was under $10 delivered. Has other uses too.

Hi,

I went yesterday in a shop and asked for a LG burner. I explained I had to replace a burner in my 5045 and that I needed it to be set to zone 2, which I couldn’t do alone because I only have a laptop. So they kindly brought the new drive away and did this for me, returning after some minutes.:slight_smile:
Then I discovered they took a Pioneer instead of a LG. :eek: All right, it costs 25€ instead of 22€, so I decided to try anyway.

In effect, at home I connected it to my 5045 and it works totally fine, plays, records and FF’s!:bow:

So, the news is that PIONEER DVR-116DBK works as a replacement for LVW-5045.:iagree:

Now I’ll have to make some cut and glue to fit it…

Just so that everyone knows:

The Optiarc AD-7200 series drives and the Pioneer DVR-116 series drives use the exact same NEC chipset, so it makes sense that if one works as a replacement, the other will as well.

Also, note that many earlier versions of Optiarc drives were rebadged Lite-Ons, so that would explain differing behavior and success using them as replacements.

Also note that the newer Optiarc AD-7220 series drives are once again rebadged Lite-Ons.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2128509]Just playing a DVD while connected to the computer should set the region, and I’d think the same would be true for the mac but not sure.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it works the same way on a Mac. The first DVD you play in a drive causes the region to be set.

[QUOTE=Vetteboy1;2162525]Without knowing about this forum, I went to Best Buy and got a Sony DRU-842A. Right outta the box I slapped it in the 5005, and it worked. From reading the forum, I think I got super lucky.[/QUOTE]

The Sony DRU-842A, DRU-V200A, DRU-V202A, and DRU-V204A are all believed to be based in whole or in part on the Optiarc AD-7200A, which is an NEC chipset drive, and that has been shown to be a good choice for recorder drive replacement.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2116185]The Sony DRU-810A is either a rebadged Benq 1640 or 1650 depending on what’s on the drive label; 810A=1640 and 810A-R=1650. I’m unfamiliar with bitsetting on the Benq, and someone more familiar with Benq might help there. However, failure to burn -R with the DRU-810A may indicate this drive is not a good choice for burner replacement.[/QUOTE]

You need to hook the 810A/BenQ up to a computer and download and run the QSuite program (check the BenQ forum). That will allow you to permanently set all the needed options in the drive’s firmware, so that it will work properly even while installed in the recorder.