Replaced my old dvdrw with GWA-404n and it fails

I sent my laptop to Geek Squad (warranty) with problems including the broken L532a optical drive. I receive my laptop back today and i figured they replaced it with a HL-DT-ST GWA-404N (FW1.02) drive. In the documentation it states that the drive read fine but doesn’t burn, and there are several drivers (and software) installed that maybe causing the issue. I believe Geeksquad tech used window’s burning software to test as pointed by they left on the desktop.

I have Nero 7.2.7.0 and i tested the burner using a CMC MAG E01 DVD+R (Nexxtech) and burning fails at 1%. Tested with a TTG02 DVD-R (TDK) and burning also fails. Nero reports “Write error” after “Writing short lead-out”
Examining the disc, I do not see an evidence of the disc being written on. [Eg, i could see a ring when the old dvd burner failed with nero at 5%]

AFAIK, Nero cannot detect the media correctly for some reason. If it is a software issue i would want to find a way to detect all related software.
As i did my quick research, i learned that this drive does not need any additional drivers–the drivers windows supplies is adequate.

I do have 3 virtual devices active using Daemon tools. I disabled it during these tests.

Hmm… i installed a later version of daemon tools and it burns now… only at 2.4x speed though… Need to experiment more i guess.

Get rid of daemon tools completely.

There is no such drive: “HL-DT-ST GWA-404N”

You may meant 4040???

Yes its a 4040N. Sorry about the error.

With a 4x drive your problem more than anything else is going to be firmware support, or lack thereof, for even most 8x meda (let alone 16x).

2.4x is probably a “default” write strategy the drive uses when there’s no support for a certain media code.

Edit: regarding other question: you will not be able to burn 16x discs with that 4x drive.

[QUOTE=Arachne;1946797]…Edit: regarding other question: you will not be able to burn 16x discs with that 4x drive.[/QUOTE]Interesting though, LG specifies this drive as [B]8x[/B] max… Linky.:wink:

Fairly new slimdrives have no problem to handle 16x media. Ofcourse the max burn speed will be limited once again to 8x max if media is represented in firmware with that speeds write strategies.

[QUOTE=pinto2;1946849]Interesting though, LG specifies this drive as [B]8x[/B] max… Linky.:wink:

Farly new slimdrives have no problem to handle 16x media. Ofcourse the max burn speed will be limited once again to 8x max if media is represented in firmware with that speeds write strategies.[/QUOTE]

Well well well, I stand corrected. For once the speed isn’t reflected in the drive model number, as is usual with LG drives (4082, 4163, 4167…etc). :stuck_out_tongue:

For the 8x media, possibly just a case of a firmware update then (if possible since it’s an OEM drive). For 16x discs it’s a bit more complicated. You may have a chance with Verbatim. As mentioned it depends if there’s a strategy for it in the firmware. :wink:

LG drive, but the used firmware makes the difference! :bigsmile:

Normally GSA is really retail with all features enabled. But just trying the easy way and crossflashing to GSA is just too easy to work…you’ll have to live with a wrecked drive in the worst case.

Run Discinfo on the drive to see the OEM ID.

I have 2x 100 spindles of these 16x dvd-r’s (got them from thanksgiving sale $15 value). I’m deeply annoyed that i couldn’t burn them.

So i went to that LG website and with their broken layout i was able to find some firmware updates. There is a list of firmwares: GSA4040B_A300, GSA4040B_A301, GSA4040B_A302, GSA4040B_A303, GSA4040B_A304. Are these the right and the most updated ones? rpc1 server is still down sigh…

Nope, dont even try them.

You need a firmware for your optical drive released by the OEM of your Laptop.

[QUOTE=chef;1947356]Nope, dont even try them.

You need a firmware for your optical drive released by the OEM of your Laptop.[/QUOTE]

Gateway doesn’t have it on their website. And im NOT assuming that it is a gateway GWA-4040n since it was replaced by a repair service (Geeksquad).

So what im basically stuck with is: Which OEM this drive came from so i could install the right firmware update.

If it is not, as i read in other threads (not 100% correct), the ARIMA drivers in the rpc1.org website can be used with most of the GWA-4040n drives. Basically that’s my best bet.

Gateway is HP, so check their sites please.