Replaced expired board with Asus P5QL-E

I recently replaced my Asus P5LD2 board that had burnt out around the North Bridge, It has been working 24/7 in tropical heat for a couple of years and I bought it second hand, so can’t complain.

I replaced it with an Asus P5QL-E I bought this because it had E-sata and 1394 connections on the board and also has the power saving EPU-6 system and a facility that makes it go to sleep on demand yet continues processing (downloading) at very low power. The 43 Northbridge only lacks fancy PCIe dual card streaming and does not overclock as much as the premium 45 neither of which bother me. The Southbridge supports raid.

The reason I was concerned about power is that I have an Intel D840 dual core processor which I believe was one of the first and is a bit of a dog in as far as it has a spec’d idle power consumption of 130 watts and also gets pretty hot, at last count it was idling around 53’c on a good day.

I am frankly staggered by the effect the new board has had on the processor, it tells me that even when doing routine processing the consumption jumps betweeen 30 and 50 watts, and the idle temperature is down to 41’c.

The question is can this be true?

I also bought an Asus 3850 video card because it had a 256bit interface and was PCIe 2 as is the board, and the price was right.

I had a lot of trouble installing this, the card appeared to install Ok but then when I went to alter the screen resolution the machine rebooted, eventually I worked that either or my Net Framework or Direct X were not installed properly. It took me a day to work that out so worth remembering.

So the question is? the power consumption jumping when the PC is loaded?

Well that cpu is old and less efficient when compared to todays chips. Usually, depending on how demanding the task is, windows will bring the cpu up to 100% load, and then drop off, so you might just be seeing the inital rise. But if you are doing a cpu intesive job, like encoding/editing video, then the cpu will run at 100% till the job is done.

If you wanted to upgrade to something cheap and fast and less power consumption, you can get the E5200/E5300/E5400 They are all the same just multiplier and clock speed differs. If you want to spend more, there is the E7xxx series and the E8xxx series. There should be better prices that have just come into effect, so make sure you shop around before buying it.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2203131]So the question is? the power consumption jumping when the PC is loaded?

Well that cpu is old and less efficient when compared to todays chips. Usually, depending on how demanding the task is, windows will bring the cpu up to 100% load, and then drop off, so you might just be seeing the inital rise. But if you are doing a cpu intesive job, like encoding/editing video, then the cpu will run at 100% till the job is done.

If you wanted to upgrade to something cheap and fast and less power consumption, you can get the E5200/E5300/E5400 They are all the same just multiplier and clock speed differs. If you want to spend more, there is the E7xxx series and the E8xxx series. There should be better prices that have just come into effect, so make sure you shop around before buying it.[/QUOTE]

Hi Eric, Thanks for your input, I thought I would upgrade to the Q6600 seems to be a good value processor, but with the new board taming the D840 I well may stick with that, all I do is encode movies that needs any power.

Q6600 has reached EOL just for your information
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2203432]Q6600 has reached EOL just for your information
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Hi Dizzy thanks for input I am in Thailand and there are a few floating about here on and off, but get the feeling they are on the way out.