Replaced CMOS batt, still get IE certificate warning

Hi, all.

Recently got CMOS errors, so replaced battery, and hardware has worked fine since, retaining system date and time.

The first time the clock lost its setting prior to replacing the battery, I got errors on certain secure webpages stating that the website’s security certificate has expired or is not yet valid.

I searched the internet and found that this is a sympton of losing time and that it could mean it’s time to replace the battery.

Well, I replaced the battery, the clock keeps time when turned off, but I’m still getting the certificate warning.

I cleaned all the IE temporary internet file caches I could find for all the users. Through IE7’s internet options, I also deleted history, cookies, and temporary internet files.

Can anyone think of something I missed?

Any help appreciated.

I found something interesting while looking for the instructions to uninstall IE7 and restore IE6. At the IE7 support site, on the same page of FAQ is “What is a bad certificate and why is it blocking me from accessing a website?” They don’t relate it directly to IE7, so why would they have is there? You can read what they have to say here.

With the large number of problems that I’ve read regarding IE7 I was going to suggest rolling back to the IE6 or go to a good browser like Firefox.

What has the CMOS ever to do with the IE?? :rolleyes:

i dont see the connection either , my guess is that those specific websites really have expired/non valid certificates , but if you wanna know 100% then check em from another pc or even easier try to access em from another browser like opera/firefox , and if the problem is on your end then first goto windows update and install all of em… it might be a bug , if that wont do the trick then do an xp repair install

This is a shot in the dark but did you check your Windows time and date is set properly after replacing the battery. I know after I has reset CMOS with the jumper it reset the Windows clock as well. I could not log onto MSN until I set Windows time properly. Maybe there is a connection.

Thanks for the replies. With regard to “What has the CMOS ever to do with the IE??” please read below:

From what I can make out on other websites, if the battery fails and you lose the system time, it won’t match with the valid date ranges for security certificates of secure websites, and that’s why you get the security warning.

From what I read, though, you should stop getting the error once the correct date is set. After replacing my CMOS batter and setting the date, my PC now keeps the date after being turned off, but I’m still getting the certificate warning on a couple of sites, ebay and Yahoo. I don’t get the warning on other PCs, so I’m guessing there’s still a file or cookie or something somewhere on the hard drive that I have missed that the site certificate links to.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Overall I’ve been satisfied with IE, but if I can’t get this fixed, then I may end up switching to another browser.

Thanks.

OK. Found something else by Googling. Will try tonight when I get home.

I found an article on clearing the SSL state.

Apparently you go to IE, Tools, Internet Options, Content.

Then Certificates, and click Clear SSL State.

Maybe this will work.

I will post after I try, but any other thoughts or comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Ah, now it makes sense to me. :o

Can you try to use another browser like Firefox?

Alternatively you should be able to check and handle certificates with your browser.

OK. Clearing the SSL didn’t work like I hoped it would. Any other ideas are appreciated.

Chef, I may have to try another browser. I was hoping to avoid that just to keep from adding to the all the stuff already on my PC.

Thanks.

When installing Firefox, it will ask you to copy all favorites also. :wink:

I use Firefox and will not be going back to IE, I’ve even gone to Thunderbird now.

Once you have Firefox installed you can speed it up a little by doing the following.

  1. Type “about:config” in the address field.
  2. Set the value of network.http.pipelining to “true”.
  3. Set the value of network.http.pipelining.maxrequests to “100”.
  4. Set the value of network.http.proxy.pipelining to “true”

Found the problem - stupidity!!!

crossg, should have listened to you more carefully. I swear I had checked the date several times. But I had only really paid attention to the month and date. Didn’t notice it had wrong day of the week because I had set to 2006 instead of 07.

Thanks, everyone!!!