Replace parallel ide dvd drive with serial ata

vbimport

I purchased a Samsung SH-S203 to replace the damaged paralled ide dvd drive in my computer. Of course I am a novice and thought this would be very easy. When I opened my computer I realized that my cd and dvd drives were set up in a master slave relationship with a parallel ide cable. I want to replace the slave drive with the new serial ata I purchased. Is their an easy way to do this?

Thanks for any help!

Need lots more info.
What type computer do you have ?
What type MOBO do you have?
Does your MOBO support serial ata ?
Does your MOBO have a serial connector on it ?

bean55

If the remaining optical drive is set up on master for the IDE connection, leave it alone. It will have to be physically connected to the end connector on the IDE cable, and the jumper set to master, but if it was the master drive before, there is no need to change anything.

If your machine is a Dell, they were probably set up as cable select, and again, there is no need to bother the remaining drive.

To use the SATA drive, all you need is a SATA connector on the motherboard, a SATA cable and a SATA power cord from the power supply to plug into the back of the Samsung. The operating system should recognize the new hardware once you start up the machine again after installing the drive.

Now, having said that, there are some older motherboards that don’t play well with SATA optical drives. What make and model computer do you have?

I have a Dell 9150 with Intel 2.8 chip which supports S-ATA. I replaced the parallel ata slave drive with the samsung S-ATA.
On reboot I received the following message:

Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE Slave)

That’s odd. Normally they don’t show up once you disconnect them. Try putting it back in as it was, then follow these instructions:

"Right-click My Computer on your Desktop, click Properties, choose the Hardware tab, and click Device Manager. Next, click the plus sign (+) beside the type of device you’re removing. For example, if you want to uninstall your cd drive, click the plus sign next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives, and then right-click the cd drive you plan to uninstall. Click OK when you see the following message display on-screen: “Warning. You are about to uninstall this device from your system.”

When WinXP completes the uninstall process, you can shut down your computer, physically remove the old device, and install the new device."

I sorta stole/adapted those instructions. :slight_smile: But it should work for you. Let us know if you hit a snag.

Follow Kerry56 instructions if it still shows you will have to go into Bios and change there.

bean55

Instructions to get to Bios is on Page 114 of the manuel

Thanks!!! That worked, I also had to change the Bios to off for the drive 5 PATA and drive 2 to on for SATA.

:smiley:

Glad to hear you got it going. :iagree:
Thanks for letting us know the outcome. :iagree:

bean55