Repetitive screech noise over all burned audio

Hi all,

I’m using a TSST Corp CD/DVDW TS-H552D, HP Pavillion, Win XP Prof.

Every time I burn an audio CD, I get a repetitive scratching, screeching sound over the audio, but only from the right speaker.<a href=“http://www.billysalisbury.com/other_files/CD_Error_Sound.mp3”>listen to sound 96k </a> I’ve tried different brands of CD, played on different CD players, burned using NERO, Windows Media Player, Sonic and Wavelab, always the same problem. One time I did manage to burn without the screeching, but the right channel still had little pops and clicks that were noticable and annoying. At the time I thought that this near success was to do with me setting “NERO ASPI” in Nero Info Tool, but I’ve since read that this shouldn’t affect it…

So, is it just a faulty Writer? Should I get it replaced, or is their something I haven’t tried?

Thanks!

Billy.

If you use Nero 7 to burn the discs there is a known problem that causes audio defects.

Take a look here… http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=169408

Had a look at the post, thanks qwakrz. But I’ve tried Nero, Wavelab, WMP and all give the same problem, and I’m burning WAV files, not MP3. The WAV files are files that I’ve burned sucessfully many times in the past on my old PC. Did you listen to the sound file i uploaded?

cheers!

Media and burnspeed count here.

At what speed have you burned CDDA?

The drive is supposed to go up to 40X but I’ve only burned at 16X or 8X. I even tried at 1X using Wavelab but got to following error message while testing:

Unknown CD writing error
Complementary error information notified by the CD recorder’s driver:
Error while writing pre gap for track 1.

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552D (D:) MEDIUM ERROR POWER CALIBRATION AREA ERROR 71 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 73 03 2A 00 FF FF FF 6A 00 00 0D 00

I tried again at 8X and didn’t get the error message, and I’ve not had it since. All of my attempts have just been to burn a single WAV file (have tried different files).

I’ve used Sony discs, and now TDK discs, with the same result.

btw, is it possible to keep burning more audio to the same CD, as this would make the testing process a lot cheaper!! I’m sure I used to do this years ago with Easy CD, but now even when I choose “No Not Finalize Disc” it will only allow me to burn one more session (in Nero), after giving me a warning that the format may be screwed up, and after that it wont recognize the disc as appropriate media for further sessions. In Wavelab it wont even allow that second session, despite choosing “CD Extra compatible, further seeions possible”…

Have you tried burning the .wav files to CD as data? (They won’t play on ‘standalone’ players but your PC can play them to test the right track). As you rightly say, the writer could be faulty however, the way your system coverts .wav to CD audio could also be the problem.

Another test could be to convert the .wav files to .mp3 and then burn. In most cases, a different encoder will be required to burn this type of file and this may eliminate the problem.

is it possible to keep burning more audio to the same CD

If the fault still occurs when burning the .wav files as data in a way this is partly good news - it will allow you to create ‘multisession’ discs and keep reburning until the disc is full. (There may be a way to do this with CD audio, but I have only tried with data).

Hope this helps

Hi,

You may use rewritable media for that. But many standalone players refuse to playback them.

But another question concerning your issue:
Did you try playing these CDs on a standalone player? If not, then do so.

Also you might try to extract the audio files burned to .WAV and load this WAV into Wavelab. As far as I remember, you can display the tracks on the screen, and I think that those noises should be visible in the diagram.

There also might be an issue with your speakers or soundcard. To check this, just play a pressed CD.

Michael

Hi,

the sound that I put a link to in my original post is part of a wav extracted from one of the burned CD’s, using Cool Edit. The sound is clearly visible in the waveform as square blocks of sound. I haven’t tried burning the file as data, but I’ve a feeling the problem is only with burning audio cd’s. I have tried the cd’s on other CD players and the noise is the same. I was also unable to burn a System Rescue DVD due to unspecified errors during the burn process. I’ll try to burn as data and see what happens…

cheers, :slight_smile:

Ok. Tried to burn as data and got exactly the same result! Same scratching noise out of right speaker. It’s gotta be the burner no?

:slight_smile:

Okay,

this indicates that faulty data are written to the disc.

This might be due to:

• DMA and/or cable issues
  • issues with IDE drivers (you should use Microsofts standard drivers preferably)
  • issues with DRM- oder copy protection related “drivers” (Sony rootkit, starforce)
  • issues with other software that is running in the background

and of course you might have

• faulty drive

You should check all points I have listed.
In order to sort out if the drive is faulty, you might ask a friend if he could borrow his drive to you.

Michael

I wonder why this is always the right channel. If there were an issue with the drive, there should be errors on both channels.
What happens if you playback that wav file directly from your HDD?
Are you experiencing that issue with other wav files?
Rip another audio CD (that should not be copy protected) and check if that problem persists.

Michael

Copied WAV from CD back onto HD. Same noise. Not to sure how to check for the other things you mentioned, but looked in Device manager, and all the IDE Channels are using the standard windows drivers. I did a clean install of windows XP professional about a month ago. What’s DMA and how do I check for faulty cables? Will try to do a direct copy of a CD within Nero…

cheers.

Copied a cd using CD Copy in Nero, so it made an Image and then burned it. The result was almost ok. No screeching, but still a quiet but insanely annoying pop/click every 10 seconds or so, once again only from the right speaker. Actually more annoying than the screeching, because it’s good enough that you can almost enjoy the music but not quite! Compared it with original disc… definitely only heard on copy…

Hi,

Did you take the original CD (pressed)? And it was noisy, when you played that file from your HD? I’m asking just to make sure.
What happens, if you play the original disc on your computer?

Not to sure how to check for the other things you mentioned, but looked in Device manager, and all the IDE Channels are using the standard windows drivers.

Okay.
And the easiest way to check IDE DMA settings is Nero Info Tool. You may create a screenshot of this and post it here.

At that point another question: Is your drive connected to the standard IDE controllers or to an extra controller, that might be onboard. I am asking that, because I have had similar problems, when I connected a CD oder DVD-Writer to the onboard controller made by Promise, my mainboard is equipped with. An old CD-writer produced Klicks even when just playing an original audio CD. The Writer did much better in reading, but burning didn’t work without errors, the discs were faulty.
That question can also be answered using Nero Infotool.

how do I check for faulty cables?

You’ll have to open your computer and have a look at them. Also you should check, if all connectors are okay and correctly seated.
If this would void any warranty, then contact your manufacturer for advice.

Michael

The original CD sounds fine played on the PC. I also tried extracting audio from the original CD and playing from the HD… also fine. It’s only when things are burned that they start to screw up. Here is a screen shot from Nero Info:

The drive in question is the drive that came inside the PC which i bought brand new only 2 months ago, so I’m guessing it is hooked up in a way that is supposed to work. It’s on the Primary IDE channel. The cables are all attached securely…

Hi,

Okay, so we can assume, that this is not a reading issue, and also not an issue with your sound card.

Here is a screen shot from Nero Info:
(snipped)
The drive in question is the drive that came inside the PC which i bought brand new only 2 months ago, so I’m guessing it is hooked up in a way that is supposed to work. It’s on the Primary IDE channel. The cables are all attached securely…

There are only few things you can try:
Install latest update for your Nero version (I don’t know, if you are running 6.x or 7.x). Also uninstall that Nero Image drive.
If that doesn’t help, you should request warranty repair from the manufacturer.

Michael

Uninstall Nero first, clean it with the Nero Cleantools.

Then install it new, without InCD.

Ok, will try that, thanks, :slight_smile:

I’ve just tried to copy a different audio cd to test, and for some reason now Nero only offers me 2 speeds, Maximum and 4x, but before i had a whole range of speeds…! I looked in nero info tool and it says that’s the only speeds the drive burns at…

Hi,

did you use another media than before?

Michael