Repartition new HD drive

I just installed a new WD 250GB drive to my computer that has an existing hd drive. I installed and partitioned the drive into two partitions using the WD Data Lifeguard Tools. Got it up and working fine in just a few minutes. Now I have changed my mind and find that WD DLTools will not allow me to delete partitions and start all over again. I have WinXP sp2. What can I do to reformat the new drive. Fdisk, if so, how do I make a boot disk with Fdisk on it. Partition Magic? (costs a lot). Other ideas… Regards, Martin.

Is the new drive your only drive now? Do you boot from that drive now? Is there any data you need on that drive now?

If the answer is “yes” to any of the question above - then don’t follow the procedure below!

If the answer is “no” to all those questions, then you can use the builtin tools in Windows XP to accomplish what you want.

Find “My Computer” on your desktop or in your Start menu and right-click on it, then choose “Manage” in the menu.

Click on “Disk Management” and find the right disk (e.g. Disk 1 but it could be some other disk number).

Then you can select each partition and delete it from the right-click menu, and you can then create new partitions and format them.

DM – No it is not my boot drive. I have followed your instructions but all I have been able to do is delete the partition to make it inactive, but I cannot remove all partitioning and have a single partition with no logical partitions. I have had to reformat both partitions again to make them usable. Formatting right now, it is slooow. So where am I going wrong. Regards, Martin.

If you deleted all partitions, the disk should then show as “unallocated space”. On there, you can make the new partition and format it. A full format for 250GB is slow indeed - do it while you go to lunch or whatever (I believe there’s also a quick format option).

What I want to do is merge the partitions into one. It seems Windows will delete and show unallocated space. When I tried to repartition the largest partition it would only allow a partition up to its own maximum size, leaving the smaller “unallocated space” partition still in place. It looks like I need some commercial software to “merge” the partitions. regards, gamma1

Correct, XP’s Disk Management won’t do that for you. Or empty the disk (is to too much to temporarily store on your other HD?) and start from scratch.

suggest you take a look at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/
well worth the money.

Disk Management will let you make partitions of any size in the free space, as long as you use NTFS. If you use FAT32, XP won’t make a partition bigger than 40 GB. If you insist on using FAT32, and want partitions bigger than 40 GB, you will need to make the partitions with other software. Maybe fdisk will do it.

I am having a hard time to set up my WD SATA Hard Drive.
I have a Via mobọ and have followed all the instructions proviđe by VIA and by Western Digital but have not been successful in setting it ụp
Is there any special features I have to know.
Thank yọu.

What are you trying to do? Is this your boot drive on which you will be installing Windows or is it an additional drive for data storage only?

It will be used as a storage drive only. I have an IDE as a boot drive, a SimpleTech External Drive and two optical drives. All show on Disk Management except that SATA.

Maybe you still need to enable SATA in the BIOS (not RAID, just SATA). Check your mobo manual about the settings.

Did you also delete the green secondary partition?

Hello Cressida,
SATA is enabled but RAID is present no matter what. There is ether RAID or IDE and no way to disable it in BIOS. The SATA controller does not show in Device Manager. I used WD install CD and Via 4 in 1 CD to no avail. Is there anything you can help? It is very frustrating that you have a 200 GB hard drive sitting there useless. Thank you.

Hi, can you advise the exact model (+ revision, if any) of your mobo? I’ll have a look at the BIOS settings, if I can download the manual for it. It’s possible that you would see a RAID screen flash by on start-up, but as long as there’s no RAID arrays defined, that wouldn’t be a problem.