Repairing the CD player on a Jensen JMC600

vbimport

Would anyone here be able to help me troubleshoot a problem with my JMC-600?

I’ve had the thing for about 4 or 5 years. About half a year ago, the CD player conked out on me, which is really the only thing on it I use. From what I understand, this isn’t a very good quality piece of equipment, but I still miss having a CD player. Plus, I’ve been getting into electronics lately and it would be a nice little project.

So anyway, if I put a disc into the player, the laser starts moving back and forth. Not much but it just wiggles back and forth while the disc is spinning. I get no read on the CD. I didn’t do anything to it (like dropping it) that would cause physical damage. It just happened one day when I tried to play a disc.

Any ideas or possible routes to go?

Thanks,
CMA

[QUOTE=CrazyManAndy;1741481]Would anyone here be able to help me troubleshoot a problem with my JMC-600?

I’ve had the thing for about 4 or 5 years. About half a year ago, the CD player conked out on me, which is really the only thing on it I use. From what I understand, this isn’t a very good quality piece of equipment, but I still miss having a CD player. Plus, I’ve been getting into electronics lately and it would be a nice little project.

So anyway, if I put a disc into the player, the laser starts moving back and forth. Not much but it just wiggles back and forth while the disc is spinning. I get no read on the CD. I didn’t do anything to it (like dropping it) that would cause physical damage. It just happened one day when I tried to play a disc.

Any ideas or possible routes to go?

Thanks,
CMA[/QUOTE]

It is probably not repairable. If you still like the unit, I have one in decent condition.

[QUOTE=yamobedeh;2692980]It is probably not repairable. If you still like the unit, I have one in decent condition.[/QUOTE]

Yo-

After six years since the original posting - I think not-eh!! :disagree: :disagree:

I still have an old Kenwood slim profile linked component stereo system (the one that does high speed sync dubbing cd to cassette). In 1996 I had the warranty expiring… So we took it to the repair guy for a cleaning (which was included). He not only cleaned the unit, but replaced the CD laser/motor assembly (which in his words was bound to die sooner or later as it’s the first thing to go-- so might as well…). The unit still works today.