Repair scratchy CD?

How to clean , repair scratchy CD ?
10X

Carefully waxing toothpaste or hair gel seem to work for tiny scratches. Use a very very small amount.

Fellowes makes a “CD/DVD Scratch Repair Kit” that does a nice job.

Welcome to the forum, [B]pehoko[/B] :slight_smile:

It works, but I personally had a hard time to get the hang of things with this method. :doh:

Kits are expensive, but work most of the time. What you need to know is that once you have so-called “repaired” your CD, you’d better re-reburn it immediately on a new disc, as these “repaired” CDs don’t last very long, whatever method you’ve used. They’re only workarounds, not a real “repair” of your discs.

Other option: If the Cd is of vital importance take it to your local DVD hire shop. Most have a CD/DVD repair (polishing) machine which should do the job. My local shop in Australia charges $2 for the service…peanuts.

P.S. As Francksoy explained, once the CD is “operable” again immediately back it up to another disk because the original ain’t gonna last long.

tnx a lot for advices . I’ll try with toothpaste first . Is there any chance if the scratch is deep ? Some chemichal method for removing some tiny part of the polycarbonate surface or mechanical ?

One more thought…

A friend of mine found a very scratched…but not gouged…cd in a parking lot and was able to “restore” it to playable condition by using Brasso (metal polish). Basically, this works like a jeweler’s rouge…same idea as toothpaste, but may work should the toothpaste fail. Like everyone else, get another copy asap.

I’d stay clear of any chemicals (solvents). You can use isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface, but I’d forget any idea of a chemical repair.

I’ve used brasso to “repair” a few dvds. I used the quotes because before the brasso treatment, the movies actually played fine up to a certain point at which both my dvd player nor any of my optical drives could read the data (PO errors).

However, after a few application of brasso and gentle scrubing (ONLY from the inside of the disk to the outer edge! never in a circle around the disk) I was able to rip the movies with dvddecryter so I could back them up. However, the original would no longer play at all in my dvd player.

I’ve never used it on cds but I assume it would work. However, if its a audio cd, maybe not, as scratchs can still be heard on “readable” disks.

I use toothpaste with water. Use a soft high-quality 100% cotton fabric (underwear) or toilet paper as the polishing cloth. Final buff is with Meguiar’s Deep Crystal Deep Gloss auto polish compound.

You can also use a power tool (Dremel at low speed) for polishing (wrap cloth at end of bit).

Spend the $20 and get a DataDoctor, DiskDoctor, etc. They work really well and you can usually “repair” most scratches in less than 5 minutes. I have been using one for over 5 years, mainly fixing other people’s disk (CD’s and DVD’s). It even works on burned disk as well as pressed disk. Make back ups of your disk and keep the originals in safe place is the best way.

I still reckon a visit to your local DVD rental shop to use their surface buffer will be very effective and less messy for you for a one-off fix. For future reference, though, the above advice is invaluable, especially if you have a lot of disks to repair. A small bottle of Brasso will only set you back a few bucks and the amount of toothpaste required to do the job would be negligable.

The car polish idea is a new one to me. Must try that one day. :slight_smile:

P.S. Many of the commerical repair kits use preparations chemically similar to fine metal polishes.

Here is an old thread that mentions a couple of products. One is a wax that fills the scratches, the other is a system of polishing compounds.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=109857

You could try these guys they are brilliant http://www.cd-repair.co.uk