Repair scratched cd's

vbimport

hi club cd freaks

i need to repair my scratched cd’s and dvd’s.

I don’t want any toothpaste, hot water and soap tricks, etc.

i need a tool or a machine to do it.

Some video stores may still offer that service for a price.

Sounds like they may :slight_smile:

Now, again, can anybody help with the above question?

thx

There are machines/systems available on the market, but not knowing what country you are in no further advice can be given. I would suggest you google for it.

I use DataDoctor. It works well on original pressed disks. Cost $10.00-$20.00.

What is data doctor?

i live in Denmark

It is a mechanical device that has a hand crank on a wheel. The wheel has a band of very fine sandpaper(guessing about 1200 grit), you mount the disk under the wheel and apply distilled water on the disk. As you rotate the hand crank, the wheel and the disk will both move. The Cd/DVD will Rotate a lot slower than the cutting wheel. You can usually get these at a Cd/Dvd retailer. They are sold under various brand names such as Disk Doctor, Data Doctor, etc. I’ve had mine since 2003.

and what can you say about the results?

data doctor, probably similar to disk doctor (I use one alot). It has been a real life saver… So far, I have been able to read and then copy every single damaged cd. Some were ps2 games that my nephew had just thrown around in piles of cd’s on the floor, for almost a year. I was amazed that I was actually able to get them to where I could copy them to a new cd. He even continued playing quite a few of the old cd’s, and I recleaned them (some at least 3 times), and they still kept working…

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2190088]data doctor, probably similar to disk doctor (I use one alot). It has been a real life saver… So far, I have been able to read and then copy every single damaged cd. Some were ps2 games that my nephew had just thrown around in piles of cd’s on the floor, for almost a year. I was amazed that I was actually able to get them to where I could copy them to a new cd. He even continued playing quite a few of the old cd’s, and I recleaned them (some at least 3 times), and they still kept working…[/QUOTE]

Hi Rob,

Could you please provide a link to disk doctor? It sounds like an interesting product. Using such generic terms as “disk” and “doctor”, I’m getting way too many hits on my search.

Thanks - Jeff

jeff53404

Here’s a motoriezed one if your looking:
http://www.specialtystoreservices.com/productdetails.aspx?productid=10939

I have one similar to this

http://www.digitalinnovations.com/disc_repair.php

I bought it at Office Depot for around $15.00. It works great on CD’s and pressed DVD’s.

And these aren’t just some crap products that break after a few times of use? they actually work?

[quote=scratchedcd;2190761]And these aren’t just some crap products that break after a few times of use? they actually work?[/quote]I don’t think our staff and senior members are in the habit of recommending poor quality products. :wink:

[QUOTE=scratchedcd;2190761]And these aren’t just some crap products that break after a few times of use? they actually work?[/QUOTE]

I’ve used mine for 4 years, on at least 50 cds. The cleaning belt is finally starting to break down.

I have used Disc Doctor as well for several years with great success. I bought it at Fry’s electronics store for less than $20.00. Fry’s also sells individual wheels for the tool. I have seen the same tool under several different names (Game Doctor, Disc Doctor, Data Doctor, etc), but they all appear to be the same product.

Hope this helps.

[QUOTE=scratchedcd;2190761]And these aren’t just some crap products that break after a few times of use? they actually work?[/QUOTE]

My friend has had his Motoriezed one for over a year with no problems.

[QUOTE=Pernundel;2190267]

I bought it at Office Depot for around $15.00. It works great on CD’s and pressed DVD’s.[/QUOTE]

When you say pressed DVD’s does that mean it doesn’t work with burnt media?

My kids have damaged a few of the DVDs I burnt in the past, and I’m running low on the repair fluid I’ve got. I think this is a mixture of alcohol & a special wax, that cleans discs & fills scratches. It’s worked miracles on some discs, & failed completely on others.

In any event it sounds worth the investment, I think I’ll get one next time I see one. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Burggraaf Alderchi;2192361]When you say pressed DVD’s does that mean it doesn’t work with burnt media?[/QUOTE]

I haven’t tried it with burned DVD’s. It would remove the dye. I use it on pressed CD’s and DVD’s that my kids and grandchildren have all but destroyed. Some of the CD’s look like my son used them as a floormat in his car. It has restored all but 1 CD out of probably 250 repairs. I repair the original and burn a copy for them. Then I put the original up for safe keeping. The same with the DVD’s. Grand children are extremely hard on DVD’s. That way if the burned CD/DVD is damaged ,I can burn another one from the original.