Repair drive letters messed up by Roxio Drag-to-Disc

vbimport

Onto my Windows XP system I installed the Roxio software – Easy CD & DVD Creator Basic 6 and Drag-to-Disc (formerly known as DirectCD) – that came with a new Plextor PX-708A .

One result is that it messed up all my drive letters. My setup had been:

Hard Disk 0: C: primary partition - NTFS, Windows system partiton
D: primary partition - NTFS, for programs
E: primary partition - NTFS, for data
extended partition:
R: logical partition - NTFS
K: logical partition - NTFS
O: logical partition - NTFS

Hard Disk 1: Linux boot partition - primary partition - ex3fs
Linux swap partition - primary partition
W: primary partition - NTFS
extended partition:
Linux / partition - logical partition - ext3fs
Linux /var partition - logical partition - ext3fs
Linux /home partition - logical partition - ext3fs

I was able to use the Disk Management part of the Windows XP Computer Management console to change back the drive letters for C:, D:, E:, K:, and W:.

But I could not use the same thing to change back the letters for R: and O: because Windows has stolen those letters: Windows now sees the 5 Linux partitions and in Explorer shows each as a Local Disk and assigns a drive letter; among the drive letters are R: and O:.

According to Plextor tech support, it was indeed installing Drag-to-Disc that caused the problem. They said it’s just what Windows does when you install such a file-system extension.

So the question is how to fix this. Evidently the Windows Drive Management route won’t work. I hesitate to edit the registry for such a low-level matter, but is that the best next thing to do?

Note: Using PowerQuest Partition Manager is not an option: It doesn’t get the location of Linux partitions right – or at least not in a place that agrees with where RedHat Linux expect them to start. (I’ve experienced this on several different dual-boot systems.)

I haven’t actually installed Linux on the partitions in question, so I’m willing to delete them and re-create them. But if I do that and then use Windows Drive Management to change the two wrong Windows partition letters will I just wind up where I already am once I recreate those partitions?

Or should I try to edit the Registry? The keys are, I believe, in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SYSTEM_MountedDevices

Sorry if this is somewhat off-topic for the forum. But since the problem resulted from installing CD software, I thought somebody here might have experience with the same sort of thing.

Take a look here for related info.

I’m afraid the advice at that link does not respond at all to the situation I described!

First, note that I had no problem whatsoever changing the system drive letter. The difficulty was that installing Roxio Drag-to-Disc had the effect of Windows XP’s giving Windows partition letters to partitions that were Linux partitions.

I solve my problem by first junking Roxio; second doing a clean re-install of Windows XP; and third buying Nero 6. Drastic? Yes! Effective? Yes!

I hate too tell you this but it is almost impossible to uninstall Roxio direct cd / drag to disc. You will probably have to do it manually. Make sure to search for these files and rename them so that they can’t run, example rename Cdral.dll to Cdral.dll.roxio, for example. Search for the registry values which load them and stop them from loading. I think Roxio has a removal program removal on their website, but the normal uninstall does not get ride of these files. You should probably search this site on how to remove Roxio, it’s been a while since I did this.
The files:
Cdr4vsd.vxd
Cdr4vsd.sys
Cdr4dll.dll
Cdral.dll
Cdrtc.dll

Next use the Disk Management part of the Windows XP Computer Management console to unassign the drive letters taken by Windows, R: and O: I believe you stated. The drive letters can now be assigned to the devices of your choice. If you have to, you can disconnect the cable to Hard Disk 1 during this process so the existing Linux data won’t get trashed by a combination of Windows and Roxio, hopefully this hasn’t happened yet.

I just tried installing Easy CD and DVD 6 Platinum on my laptop, and after a few reboots, I found I had a new HD partition. I know that before I started the install I just had C: and now I have an additional one labled E:. I’d delete it, but it appears that there are some Dell items in there as well. Did you ever get any info on what you could do to fix your system? I was thinking maybe I could use what you learned to fix my problem

See http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=640822#post640822. What I had to do was fairly drastic!

The link you probvided refers back to this post.
I’m having the same problem, but didn’t realize it was Roxio until I was able to use a restore point (the first and only time in my life!) to correct the problem and then installed Roxio becasue I needed it immediately. That’s when one physical drive with on partition reappeared with two drive letters (J: and G:) and can’t be removed through any administrative programs from MS.
So hopefully there is a link to the proper post that shows what needs to be done to correct this.

Thanks!

When I follow the link, I see a slightly earlier reply from me that does describe what worked for me. Here it is. You may not like my solution; I certainly didn’t!

“I solve[d] my problem by first junking Roxio; second doing a clean re-install of Windows XP; and third buying Nero 6. Drastic? Yes! Effective? Yes!”

Yes that is drastic murrayE! I don’t think I like that!

Thanks, I will keep searching and post a solution for others here if I find it.

-D

Why do you care what the drive letters are?

I have no idea of what the letters are on my machines. I use labels. Labels are stored on the partitions and don’t change. Of course the OS uses letters, but if I need to know the letter to use in a command prompt command, I use Windows Explorer to show me the letter.

If you have more than one Microsoft OS installed, they will likely assign different letters to the same partition anyway. I gave up worring about the letters a long time ago.

I guess you can remove the drive letters assigned to the Linux partitions using Disk Management. That would probably get them out of the Windows Explorer display and that might be a good idea.

I don’t use packet writing software because it’s not worth the trouble. I didn’t know it would change drive letters though. Thanks for the warning.

I don’t let third party software mess with my drives either. I know a lot of people use Partition Magic, but I don’t trust it.

The issue is the scores of programs I regularly use whose paths are hard-coded by Windows Registry entries written at program installation.

well steve b, the real problem here isn’t the reassigning of the letters per se but that something deeper down in the OS is broken.
One physical drive with one partition should only have one letter, but this problem with Roxio Drag to Disc causes the same drive to have two letters at the same time.
In the computer managment console in XP the drive letters can’t be reassigned and the new letter isn’t on the list of letters assigned to a particular drive. Also in my situation the drives that are the C: and D: hard drives aren’t showing that they are even assigned a letter in the Disc Management console, nor can I assign those letters to them.

So when my access to managing my hard drives is blocked there is something wrong with the OS that was caused by this program.

So how long will it be until my drive or system is crashed because of it?
No ones knows and I don’t want to find out, I want to fix it before I find more symptoms to this problem.

I didn’t know packet writting software was such a headache either. I’ve been using it occasionally for several years and this is the first time I’ve had this problem. I’ve learned a lot about it now and will never use it again in the future. (And I’ve got a few clients data on some discs! yikes!)
Glad I can give you a heads up, tho. :slight_smile:

Oh dear! Now I see the problem. You have my sympathies. I’m surprised you can still run if the letter has changed for the partition where the OS is installed.

And they say Nero is buggy :slight_smile: