Renaming songs

Hi-- I already know I can rename songs withing my ‘my music’ folder, or I can rename them while in WMP or Realplayer. Problem is if I’m in WMP or Realplayer the renaming only works in that program – for example, I’m in WMP and I name Track 5 “great drum solo”-- then I go in Realplayer or my music folder and it is still shows up as Track 5. I know if I rename it in the actual music folder it will update and show the new name in all the programs but obviously when I’m listening to the music and deciding to make changes I am in one of the music programs, not the actual music folder.

So question is, is there a way to set Windows Media Player so that when I edit the names of songs, artists or what-have-you, that this update would transfer to the actual music file and REALLY rename it so that I don’t have to go through extra steps??

What would really be great would be if I could ‘sync’ WMP with the music folder so that all the stuff I have previously renamed would get updated in ‘my music’. Otherwise I’ve got a big job ahead of me!

Any advice??

[QUOTE=Elviza;1987374]Hi-- I already know I can rename songs withing my ‘my music’ folder, or I can rename them while in WMP or Realplayer. Problem is if I’m in WMP or Realplayer the renaming only works in that program – for example, I’m in WMP and I name Track 5 “great drum solo”-- then I go in Realplayer or my music folder and it is still shows up as Track 5. I know if I rename it in the actual music folder it will update and show the new name in all the programs but obviously when I’m listening to the music and deciding to make changes I am in one of the music programs, not the actual music folder.

So question is, is there a way to set Windows Media Player so that when I edit the names of songs, artists or what-have-you, that this update would transfer to the actual music file and REALLY rename it so that I don’t have to go through extra steps??

What would really be great would be if I could ‘sync’ WMP with the music folder so that all the stuff I have previously renamed would get updated in ‘my music’. Otherwise I’ve got a big job ahead of me!

Any advice??[/QUOTE]

The Best way to do this is just to right click the song.
Then Click Properties.
IT will bring up a box.
Then there should be like four tabs at the top.
Click “Details”.
Now fill out the Artist Description, Song name, ext.

The reason Realplayer does that is cause you just renamed the file. Not the ID tag.

There are also programs out there that will let you rename multiple songs at once, I don’t use them but this one looks promising.

Hmmm- thanks for the response but… I haven’t tried it yet in Realplayer, but in WMP it does bring up the properties box, but there is no place where it allows you to change or rename anything and the only place for ‘details’ is a big blank box under the license tab that says you can fill in license details.

Now earlier I had already tried right-clicking and there is the option to ‘open the containing folder’ at which point you are in ‘my music’ in the right folder, which possibly makes the job not as bad as I thought, however-- the one song I tried it on I added a plus sign to the name-- then when I went back into WMP the song was no longer showing up in the list with the rest of it’s album, although when I searched for it I found it. Had to go back and undo the rename. :a

I often mark songs I like with an asterisk or a comment like ‘awesome’ or whatever to make it stand out when I am looking through my songs. Maybe the astersik won’t work in the music folder (didn’t seem to want to a minute ago) but I’ll try again adding a word. Still I have a lot of them I have already labelled so it sure would be great to find a way to be able to sync it up or tell my music folder to accept the edits I make in WMP.

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

this is what i use, really easy. check it out.

also try a google search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+mp3+rename&btnG=Google+Search

edit//looks like the link Id33k posted is free, where tag&rename is 30 bucks

[QUOTE=Elviza;1987406]Hmmm- thanks for the response but… I haven’t tried it yet in Realplayer, but in WMP it does bring up the properties box, but there is no place where it allows you to change or rename anything and the only place for ‘details’ is a big blank box under the license tab that says you can fill in license details.

Now earlier I had already tried right-clicking and there is the option to ‘open the containing folder’ at which point you are in ‘my music’ in the right folder, which possibly makes the job not as bad as I thought, however-- the one song I tried it on I added a plus sign to the name-- then when I went back into WMP the song was no longer showing up in the list with the rest of it’s album, although when I searched for it I found it. Had to go back and undo the rename. :a

I often mark songs I like with an asterisk or a comment like ‘awesome’ or whatever to make it stand out when I am looking through my songs. Maybe the astersik won’t work in the music folder (didn’t seem to want to a minute ago) but I’ll try again adding a word. Still I have a lot of them I have already labelled so it sure would be great to find a way to be able to sync it up or tell my music folder to accept the edits I make in WMP.[/QUOTE]So, What format are your songs in. Mp3, mp4, wma, ext.